Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

plug and play ballast....?

dustinwiemann

so i have seen a lot of people with recommendations on how to make your own set up and most say they modified the wake makers installation. I cant seem to find their instructions online. I was wondering the easiest way to install extra bags to my Malibu that already has sub floor tanks. im installing three bags, two rear one front.

i am wondering if i can simply take the vent line from the top of the hard tank and plug it directly into the bottom of the soft tank.

then from the top of the soft bag run the vent line out of the boat.

this way when the hard tank is full the excess is pumped into the soft bag filling it. when the soft bag is full it spills out the vent. draining is simple as well. just drain as usual and let gravity transfer the water from the soft bag to the hard tank.

seems very simple and i think it should work but no one seems to be doing this. is there a reason why?

How bad would it be to plumb in 400 pound sack in the bow to my ski locker pumps? I have no problem self filling a couple of bags for added weight, but just had a thought reading this.

Mine is set up this way, I installed some ball valves in the drain line since for some reason half the water was venting to the bag and half would force its way out the drain line. With the ball valve shut it doesn't take too much time...I'm happy with it and its def the easiest way to go. Might not be a good idea for a 750 or 1100 tho...

• 2 weeks later...

Painfully slow! Save your self alot of aggravation and time and put in a stand alone system.

We agree. If you have the money and time to install definitely go with a stand alone auxiliary system.

How bad would it be to plumb in 400 pound sack in the bow to my ski locker pumps? I have no problem self filling a couple of bags for added weight, but just had a thought reading this.

Would not be that hard to do. You could split the fill and vent lines and run them into the new sac. You will need to have an auxiliary drain pump for the bag but you can use an Attwood T800 which is cheap. You can tie the electrical to the center MLS drain pump and also split that drain line. I bet you are looking at between $100 to $150 for the parts not including the sac.

Mine is set up this way, I installed some ball valves in the drain line since for some reason half the water was venting to the bag and half would force its way out the drain line. With the ball valve shut it doesn't take too much time...I'm happy with it and its def the easiest way to go. Might not be a good idea for a 750 or 1100 tho...

You cannot vent into a bag above the hard tank with an aerator ballast system and fill close to capacity. The amount of water pressure that pushes back into the vent is too much thus the need for the valve on your drain line. The WakeMakers piggyback flows from the fill pump into the bag and then drains into the hard tank. That way the tank can fill and then the bag can fill on top of it. The draining process is slow because we have to rely of gravity to get that water back into the tank. With all of this said a stand alone auxiliary ballast system is the way to go.