Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Corrosion on O2 sensor

Hey all,

I took my boat (2012 MXZ) out for the fist time for the season, and after running to our normal boarding spot (10 minutes cruising at 30 MPH) when I slowed down to idle to fill the sacs, the boat was idling very rough. Oil pressure, was good, temp was 185*. I shut the boat down, check all the spark plug cables, and engine oil which was fine and no water noticed in the oil. While checking I noticed one of my catylitic converters was much hotter than the other and smoke was coming from the 1st O2 sensor. When I started the boat back up it continued to idle rough and hesitated during acceleration so I idled back to the marina. During the way home it through a service engine code several times. I took the boat to the dealership, and they said there was corrosion on the O2 sensor, and it was the first time they have seen that. They are looking into the cause, and the solution.

Do any of you have any advice on what could be the cause of the corrosion?

Thanks

Jared

Hopefully it's just that and not a bad cat. I have the same issue with my pre-cats (warm up catalytic converters) on my Mazda. Platinum screens are almost shot and it causes back-pressure and overheat at the manifold. Good luck with the dealer. Is it still under warranty?

temp was 185*

one of my catylitic converters was much hotter than the other

Those are problems.

Edited by Pistol Pete