Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spark Plugs

I have a 99 SS LXI. Bought it last summer from dealer, had 360 hrs and runs great. I just got serviced for the 1st time, spark plugs were 90.00!!!! Last time I bought a

plug was for a lawn mover at 2.00. I have 350 Monsoon. Is that right? They said wrong plugs were in it, I will be going back to talk. It is not running as smoothly as it was.

You are paying for the labor. Plugs vary in price depending on what you use...I'm a NGK fan and what I run is about $2/plug. I'd complain about it not running right but you could have saved about $70 turning your own wrenches. But not everyone is comfortable doing that and you will pay out the nose because of it.

Sounds Hi, but was that plugs and service to install or just plugs? Some of the plugs out today are pricey but you don't need 100,000 mile plugs. What plug did they install?

From the Indmar manual, your plugs should be AC Delco MR43LTS or the platinum version 41-932. Of course, there are NGK and other equivalents.

Sounds pretty pricey. I agree with the above, you probably paid about $60 in labor on that deal.It costs me $30 for mine last time for good NGK's but I can turn a wrench.

yeah i'd say 80.00 - 85.00 an hour shop labor rate at a dealer and depending what brand plugs they installed, it sounds about right.

what are the charges on your invoice? it should be itemized. them might even have a 10% shop supplies added in as most shops have been doing this for years.

did you ask what a set of plugs would cost installed?

as for it running worse than when you took it in. i would check to make sure the wires were pushed on to the plugs tight before i did anything.

was the cap and rotor replaced also? i would definately call them and tell them its running worse than before your brought it in.

I have a 99 SS LXI. Bought it last summer from dealer, had 360 hrs and runs great. I just got serviced for the 1st time, spark plugs were 90.00!!!! Last time I bought a

plug was for a lawn mover at 2.00. I have 350 Monsoon. Is that right? They said wrong plugs were in it, I will be going back to talk. It is not running as smoothly as it was.

Is this your first tank since winter? Might need some fresh 89?

If they installed platinum plugs, price was fair. If they were copper tops, that was high. Indmar recommends the copper plugs in our motors now because they run cleaner in our cooler running marine engines. Even if your engine came with platinums, they say the engine will run better with coppers.

• Like 1

Last 3 boats I'd put in the water in the spring and take out in fall. So plug check, which I know is boating 101, didn't need to be part of my routine. I just have never trailered

before. Plug was in when I took it to them, so my habit of checking from previous boats wasn't there. Like I said I found the plug behind rear speaker!! The other thing is I want to see all old parts, including plugs and he could not produce. Monday, I told him to have everything when I get there. He's an hour away. I feel he's legit, but some shortcomings were had. Could be old gas too. Just filled, we'll see if that helps. Copper huh? My 1st indmar.

If they installed platinum plugs, price was fair. If they were copper tops, that was high. Indmar recommends the copper plugs in our motors now because they run cleaner in our cooler running marine engines. Even if your engine came with platinums, they say the engine will run better with coppers.

Gee I wish I had of known this. Last year I had the plugs to do the job that I got the number out of the manual and then I took my first one out and it was the Iridium ones. So I took the $3 plugs back and got the $10 plugs and installed them. Oh well, I guess they will last 5 years again.