Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Upgrade Options

dnowaczyk22

Looking for some advice on upgrading stereo in 2012 LSV is just got. Current set up

2 pairs of Rev 10's on tower powered by a Syn2

6 interior stock Rockford speakers and 12" vega sub powered by a syn 6.

I know i am way under powered, however i don't have the knowledge in understanding the Ohm's, output options, and bridging options to achieve most efficient upgrade.

I have been told to start with putting the tower speakers on a SD2 and put a 12" Treo on a syn 1 and interiors on a syn 4. Thoughts from the experts on this???? please help. I definitely want more bass out of the system. Thoughts from the experts?

Edited by dnowaczyk22

k22,

Start with the tower. Take the speaker's RMS/thermal rating. That would be the minimum power to each speaker that I would recommend if you are hungry for a bigger sound. Increase that speaker rating by 33 percent in consideration of the 25 percent amplifier power reduction as you will be running at a much lower supply voltage as compared to the rated standard. That would be the maximum power to each speaker that I would recommend. So after doing that math the recommendation that you received fits nicely within those standard parameters.

Next the sub. Regardless of brand, I am surprised that a 12-ich sub isn't getting the job done. Even doubling your power to the sub will only give you an extra 3 dB of output best case scenario and in reality less than that. It takes a full 10 dB more output to perceive a difference of double the output. So an extra 3 dB is not a major difference. Before making wholesale changes I would look into the sub enclosure and system tuning. Those a major factors in subwoofer performance and often far greater than the power or particular sub model. Perhaps if your present tower amplifier becomes available it could be applied to the subwoofer as long as the sub is configurable for a final 4-ohm load, which should be the case based on the present set up.

In-boats. Sure, a larger 4-channel amplifier will definitely pay dividends.

David

If you are like me seeing helps so look at the diagrams not trying to see you RF but look at different amp the will show you different wiring.

I case it doesn't show you the right spot look toward the bottom where it says Overview, Specifications, click on Wire Wizard.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=116206