Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acid washing bottom of boat Tune up.

Just paid 450.00 to have my boat detailed, boat was in water all summer last year so bottom was nasty, they used muriatic acid. Did a great job, also detailed inside, and waxed. My question is should they of covered bronze rudder and fins some how. All are stained from acid. Plus boat was running prefect before I brought in, they did oil change, said wrong plugs were in boat, changed impeller, rotor cap, that was another 400.00. Put boat in and it is not running as well as it was when I dropped off, also motor slipped a few times. When I dropped off plug was in, they took out and set in side webbing compartment, needless to say, i know boating 101 is to check, but because I normally drop boat in water in spring and am not pulling in and out, no need to check for plug. They didn't tell me they pulled it, they did not put it in a conspicuous place, again I know!!! Found it after I plugged hole with my shirt and started searching. The day was salvaged with ski and swim. Just venting and asking your thoughts about bottom and rough running.

If the boat is in the water for the year the stained bronze is not an issue. JMHO. pulling the drain plug is a common practice many do tag or put the plug in very obvious location so you don't launch without installing it. Its a good habit if you trailer to check for plugs before all launches.

When I trailered I always did a quick walk around before the boat hit the water. Like a preflight check.

I spritz my bare metals on my boat with quick wax before I acid wash to prevent this. Does it matter, no. Those marks will go away.

Rough running, make sure all the plug wires are tight on the plugs/distributor. If that doesn't work or you see another problem, take it back in. 400 for a plug and oil change I'd expect it running great. Are you sure the rough running isn't due to old gas?

Mentioning the plug makes me think that you don't go through a pre launch check. And while that sound dorky, there are a number of things that should be checked that may be getting missed.

Start at the rotor and go all the way to the plug and make sure all is tight. Also check and make sure they have the right plug in the boat.

Great place to find what plug should be in it. If its not the same type call a parts house and have them cross-reference it. If it was me I would put NGK in it.

http://www.bakesonline.com/boatinfo.aspx

Last 3 boats I'd put in the water in the spring and take out in fall. So plug check, which I know is boating 101, didn't need to be part of my routine. I just have never trailered

before. Plug was in when I took it to them, so my habit of checking from previous boats wasn't there. Like I said I found the plug behind rear speaker!! The other thing is I want to see all old parts, including plugs and he could not produce. Monday, I told him to have everything when I get there. He's an hour away. I feel he's legit, but some shortcomings were had.

Use this site we will help. Sound like its time to learn to do it all yourself. Many of us on this site don't trust anyone with our boats. Also make sure your water impeller was changed.