Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purchasing 91' Malibu Skier Euro F3.... yes or no?

Zeke83

New to the forum. Looking for any and all input on the Malibu Skier Euro F-3, 91'. Asking price is 8,000. System, pylon, 500 hrs, lots of new stuff like prop and transmission, looks like it has been well maintained. Double axle trailer looks good... however i am not familiar with these boats at all. I am however familiar with OLD boats, i own a bayliner 1952 cuddy, 19 footer. I do know there isnt much in comparison between the two as far as quality and craftsmanship. I also know that on older boats sometimes it doesnt matter if you have meticulous maintenance, you're still going to have problems because it is old boat. Are there any specific age related problems with this model? I think it has some wood in the construction... dry rot? What are the usually problems with this model and what are also the pluses, and does this sound like a good deal for the asking price, I NADA it and it wasnt too far off.. Also what kind of wake does it put out? Im into wakeboarding and looking for a nice clean big wake. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

You're gonna fit right in ! Great first post. Others will chime in but yes, check for stringer integrity. But that may be one of the only major issues other than the normal engine, driveline, trailer tests.

Do you have inboard experience? These drive very differently than I/O's do. What's your normal crew like in number etc. Can you link a website with the pics of the boat?

Steve B.

Thanks Steve. Bellow is a link to the boat ad. I own a I/O and an inboard jet (waverunner) have driven outboards and inboard jet boats. Not inboard prop though. Steering mechanism is quite a bit different.

A little more about what im looking for, maybe you can suggest a better fit. It would be great to get a bowrider model, i could use the seats. Im looking with a limit around 14,000, unless i find a really good deal for a little more. Around Oregon and Washington I see a lot of these older 90's models, and then skip ahead to 04's and newer and nothing in between.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/3656581247.html

I'm no expert, but that does not look like a Malibu euro f3, I'd double check that boat. My buddy owns one, that's the only reason I'm questioning it.

I don't know what a little more than your budget means, but here are two I'd consider, just work on them with the price a bit, but not too far off

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Malibu-Sunsetter-101926231

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Malibu-20-OPEN-BOW-101741791

Edited by wakebrdr94

Thanks Steve. Bellow is a link to the boat ad. I own a I/O and an inboard jet (waverunner) have driven outboards and inboard jet boats. Not inboard prop though. Steering mechanism is quite a bit different.

A little more about what im looking for, maybe you can suggest a better fit. It would be great to get a bowrider model, i could use the seats. Im looking with a limit around 14,000, unless i find a really good deal for a little more. Around Oregon and Washington I see a lot of these older 90's models, and then skip ahead to 04's and newer and nothing in between.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/3656581247.html

With a budget of $14k plus, your should be able to find something newer, which means all fiberglass no wood. Lots of crew here love the wooden age boats, they are special, but I would be so paranoid about rot I would end up tearing out the old stringers and from what I can tell from others who have done it, that's way out of my skill set.

Thats what i told him... he insisted it was a ski... i wasnt going to argue. I told him the ski came in 19' and the Mystere was a 21'. Seller is in a tight spot and needs cash, if not he wouldnt be selling it. I thought the hull looked a little deeper in the front than a couple others i had looked at, which explains the rough water description, which is a plus.

@wakebrdr94 10 is comfortable, 15 is slight regret, but eventual happiness when i push the throttle forward. Above that... i probably just wait till next year and have a 25k budget. But buying something short term and adding another 10K next year is my plan. So resale is important.

I'm no expert, but that does not look like a Malibu euro f3, I'd double check that boat. My buddy owns one, that's the only reason I'm questioning it.

I don't know what a little more than your budget means, but here are two I'd consider, just work on them with the price a bit, but not too far off

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Malibu-Sunsetter-101926231

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Malibu-20-OPEN-BOW-101741791

Have to agree with wakebrdr94. I had a 92 Malibu Euro F3 See pic attached. It’s a 19' 6" long boat.

Malibu called them the 195 Skier.

Good luck with your boat purchase! :werule:

92 Malibu Euro F3

post-20239-0-18007800-1364012631_thumb.j

Edited by Dare2goBare

I also am no expert, but I would think that $8500 for that age boat without some major upgrades (ballest, tower, stereo etc) seems a little high. I don't want to start too much of a debate regarding price, I just think that with a little more patience, you might be able to get more boat for a similar price.

If that boat is MINT, and I bet its not. It's worth $8500. That being said, I wouldn't buy a closed bow direct drive ever again. There just isn't enough space for anything more than 3-4 die hard skiers... If you have 14K to spend you can get yourself an early to mid 90's Sunsetter.

Looks like a Mystere to me, not an F3 Euro. You noted resale as a key item, I would think this boat would have limited appeal to a wide audience as it is not one of the bread and butter machines and more importantly appears to be a closed bow. Closed bow boats have dropped off the radar for all but the very hard core slalom skier so that will severely limit resale. The subsequent model Malibu brought to market, the Echelon a boat based on the all fiberglass SV-23 hull really put Malibu on the map and propelled them up to the level of Mastercraft and Correct Craft. With all that said, the boat itself is a very nice boat but I could not comment on the wakeboard wake compared to other options. I had a '92 open bow Euro F-3 and really liked it, one cool think you could barefoot right behind the platform simply stepping off and on as it had a great table right there. Decent slalom wake with a slight rooster at 22' off.

Go with the 95 Sunsetter. Open bow and stringers are glass.Seats, rug, engine, hours, trailer all look good. Price may be alittle high.

wakebrdr94 I saw that 95' Malibu, i have not looked at it. What model is that? Thats one of the others im really interested in.

http://www.boattrade...N-BOW-101741791

That's a Sunsetter LX as well. Observer seat base is way too deep to be an Echelon LX. Seller mistake on the length.

That one's probably the best deal posted so far, I'd start at around 13.5k offer to start depending on condition in person. That one with the Monster tower is too much at 19k+. You will start finding V-drives just over that price range as soon as everyone thaws out. And IMO a Monster Tower doesn't add value to it at all.

Thanks for the input guys, very good points, exactly what i was looking for. I think I'll back off on the Mystere and take a look at the Sunsetter LX and see what the deal is.

Agreed jk13, some of the towers i see people putting on their boats... i just shake my head.

What is the ball park overhaul interval for engine hours on these boats? 2,000 hrs?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i pulled the trigger and went with this 96' Pro-Am, got it for 8,000. Sound system, barefoot boom, and what you can see there... im kinda confused on the relationship of bluewater to malibu though... were they partner companies or did one own the other back then? Cant find much of anything on this boat online... there is a lot of malibu stamping on the running gear though. Does anyone know what malibu model hull this is comperable to?

2010-07-07102650_zpsbee487b9.jpg

DSC06730_zpsf4a7b9ff.jpg