Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MXZ nose weight

saidainc

We had our rear lockers plumbed for an additional 750 per side at our dealership. Unfortunately knowing the nose of the MXZ 22 is light even with the bow tank we were going to weight it with lead shot or sandbags (sealed against spillage) to the tune of 200-250 lbs.

We were going to utlitize the anchor locker in the front as well as the space between the bow tank and the hull.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I could use it whether neg or pos, thanks.

For surfing I wouldn't add any in the bow..

What do you mean by cross waves? Are they coming over the side?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If we stop to pick up a downed surfer and in one of the tight channels of a reservoir that we frequently use, boats travelling the other direction pulling wakeboarders will often send waves over the bow :(

For surfing I wouldn't add any in the bow..

What do you mean by cross waves? Are they coming over the side?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I know you have an MXZ. What are your recommendations for surfing and wakeboarding set from a ballast perspective?

I have on on order and am very curious.

In regards to the OP... adding weight to the bow is not going to prevent bow waves from coming over. Additional weight up there will make it worse and more likely to happen. Driver's technique and being aware of the waves and how they are approaching you is the best way to fix this. I make sure I either take waves from the side, or I add power as I go up the wave in order to keep the bow up. I'm sure these are both pretty common techniques for the majority of people on the forum.

For the question on weighting...I will have a much better feel for weighting a 13 22 MXZ with surf gate in the next 72 hours! Weather here in Seattle is nice, I got my boat back from the stereo shop and I am ready to rock.

For wakeboarding, I've posted on this before, but here is what I run for a pro-quality wake:

-All 4 stock tanks full

-1000lb bow sack in the bow

-450lb sack in the aisle way

-Fat brick for balancing wake on the fly.

- 2 x 750s in the rear

-Wedge at 2-3 clicks

-80-85' rope

-23.2-23.8mph depending on rider preference and rope length

so doogles....

You are weighting the nose with 1000 lbs and then telling me not to? Im confused man.....

Cdoogles and I pretty much weighted our 22's the same, he's talking about wakeboarding ballast. When surfing the non-surfgate 22 MXZ doesn't like bow ballast, ours didn't.

Cdoogles,<br />I just took my MXZ out for the first time yesterday. We didn't surf, but the surfgate wave was awesome with only stock and wedge. I can't wait to add some additional sacks in the rear. <br /><br />Where can I pick up a "fat brick"? Travis Moye had one at the Boarding School that worked great. I want one. <br /><br />Thanks!

You can get Fat bricks here: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=983

I ran this weekend with surfgate and a lot of weight in the front. Roughly 900lbs that was left over from wakeboarding. Next time out I will try draining that sack to see if it improves the wave. The wave was still great with it, but I have a feeling it will get a cleaner lip without all that bow weight.

• 2 years later...
Can anyone post some suggestions for wakeboard and surf weighting (w/surfgate)? The numbers above seem to be "test numbers" and I wondered if anyone has anything a bit more dialed.

Thanks!

The 22 MXZ that I have had 2015 and 2012 (one listed and one SG) needed bow weight for surfing. I used 650's ish in the rear on top of stock, all stock full, and the boat surfed best with 2-3 adults in the front (on top of stock bow ballast).

I just ordered the 24 MXZ and plan to put 300 lbs of lead in the pickle fork area. That way my wife alone will be fine up front.

Agree that the nose on these boats are low. It is one reason I love the MXZ. With that said I try to either let the wave pass, or take it on via the side.

Lead/steel in the bow pickle cavities works very well, I am not sure about 22, but 24 likes some additional bow weight. I keep 250 in each side. On days with a large crew I add 350 more in front of anchor locker. On very light days I don't fill the bow tank as there is already 500 there. Yes you have to be conscious of oncoming rollers. We cut throttle, and immediately turn to non surf side. Wait a couple seconds for our rollers to pass, then idle back to the rider.