Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$1 per pound?

Arctic Slalom

DIY vs. dealer installed ballast.

Seems like the going rate for dealer installed ballast is pretty close to $1 per pound.

What is the DIY number at....$0.50 per pound?

I'm thinking plumbed in systems which fill and drain "at the flip of a switch"

thanks,

CR

Why on earth would installing a 750# be worth $250 more than installing a 500#? Makes zero sense to me unless I am just totally misunderstanding your post?

Gotcha. Well it is a job that can be done DIY. I suggest doing some research and figuring out if its something you want to tackle.

For a 2008 Vride I would suggest removing the hard tanks and plumbing in the sacks. Its what I did. No way its worth 750, its pretty dang easy.

Edited by Ruffdog

That's a hard question to answer because the price is essentially amortized by the weight. Once you buy the pumps, hose and thru hulls you can add weight for almost nothing. I added 1750 pounds last year for about $450. Took me about 10 hours including the electrical work and some in-water testing. 250 pounds would have cost me around $250 so you can that the price per pound is not linear. -Marc

i guess I'm thinking more like a 1,200 to 2,000 lbs. system with reversible pumps. 3-4 pumps.

I ran the parts ($) numbers with wakemakers and my cart was at $1550. (3) jabsco's w/ 1" lines and (3) bags = 2,000 lbs. $0.75/lbs.

I went back and forth if I should save money on the pumps (use aerators), and install myself, and then decided to have dealer install full set-up.

I'm assuming that once I got the boat home, I'd want to add ballast anyway (for surfing, mainly).

Peter with Smooth Water Sports has been awesome to deal with. I must have called him (15) times since I bought the used boat (not to mention the emails!).

So my 2004 Suncscape 21 will have black samson "blade" tower, wedge, and +/-2000 lbs. of ballast.

Should make a very nice crossover boat when all said and done. Can't wait to drive it.

I'll post a few photos when completed (in next few weeks)!!!

High Altitude; how did you get 1750 lbs. for $450? I thought the bags alone for that much weight would be $6-800, no?

The problem with lead is you really should not carry that in your boat while on the trailer, its not good for the suspension components and you are hauling around extra weight which burns more fuel. Most people dont take the lead in and out of the boat everytime they trailer the boat. Not to mention the extra weight you are always using while in the boat when the ballast weight is not needed.

I am installing a complete integrated Johnson impeller system for around $1000, two seperate pumps for each bag, switches, wiring, thru hulls, etc.... the complete system. This also includes the SUMO 600 lb bags and all necessary fittings. This is about a 6 hour install, so figure $110/hr for shop labor would add another $660 in installation price if you had a dealer install.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

The problem with lead is you really should not carry that in your boat while on the trailer, its not good for the suspension components and you are hauling around extra weight which burns more fuel. Most people dont take the lead in and out of the boat everytime they trailer the boat.

I am installing a complete integrated Johnson impeller system for around $1000, two seperate pumps for each bag, switches, wiring, thru hulls, etc.... the complete system. This also includes the SUMO 600 lb bags and all necessary fittings. This is about a 6 hour install, so figure $110/hr for shop labor would add another $660 in installation price if you had a dealer install.

I am thinking doing the same thing to my LSV.

Lead is crazy exspensive right now, and so is the shipping unless you can source it local. I have not been able to find wieght cheaper than the POP products guys are selling it shipped.

Haven't ordered any yet, but been thinking on it. Just crazy price for lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

i guess I'm thinking more like a 1,200 to 2,000 lbs. system with reversible pumps. 3-4 pumps.

I ran the parts ($) numbers with wakemakers and my cart was at $1550. (3) jabsco's w/ 1" lines and (3) bags = 2,000 lbs. $0.75/lbs.

I went back and forth if I should save money on the pumps (use aerators), and install myself, and then decided to have dealer install full set-up.

I'm assuming that once I got the boat home, I'd want to add ballast anyway (for surfing, mainly).

Peter with Smooth Water Sports has been awesome to deal with. I must have called him (15) times since I bought the used boat (not to mention the emails!).

So my 2004 Suncscape 21 will have black samson "blade" tower, wedge, and +/-2000 lbs. of ballast.

Should make a very nice crossover boat when all said and done. Can't wait to drive it.

I'll post a few photos when completed (in next few weeks)!!!

High Altitude; how did you get 1750 lbs. for $450? I thought the bags alone for that much weight would be $6-800, no?

I should have mentioned that I had the bags already. Completely alters the equation. Sorry... that was kind of stupid on my part. -Marc

All the scrap yards here are .92 - 1.03 cents a pound for soft lead & .65-.75 cents a pnd for lead / zinc. Rather just pay the pop pag price & have them wrapped nice & neat already. I'm not so sure I want to sac my boat out now reading all the stuff from this site. Blown pressure plates, Indmar says not sure what listing the boat does to the engine, engine strain, taking on water. It's like looking up something that hurts & the answer is always tumor.

I melted wheel weights into cake sheet size plates and have since quit using them. It's to much of a pain to put the in and out and not worth the effort compared to water which I don't have to haul to and from the lake.