Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dewinterized too soon

Looks like its getting below freezing the next couple nights. I would drain the block but I am physically unable to. My boat is also stuck in the water due to a broken trailer. Any ideas on what I should do the next couple nights? Heater or something I could put in there as a just incase?

Youll be fine. The lake is a heat sink so the boat wont actually get that cold. Additionally, it's only going to dip under freezing for an hour or two if at all. Note enough to freeze the block. That being said, you could always rebuild the bottom end to match the top end while you're layed up in bed :)

Shop light in the engine compartment. Won't save your heater or shower but if your physically unable to drain it, it'll have to do.

I'm sure temps won't be cold enough to freeze the engine anyway. It's all the other things that'll freeze first, ie; heater core, shower valve, water pump, mufflers, etc.

With Sammamish water temps at 46, I don't know how much heat it'll put off. And if your on a lift, then it won't be nearly enough.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Bill, I believe JRads boat is in in a slip on the North end. Since the temp is only supposed to hit 32 at the lowest the next two nights, and day temps in the mid 40s, it should be fine, dont you think?

I lived in the condos at the north end of Sammamish for almost 10 yrs. We rarely lost engines, but it wasn't unusual to hear someone lost a heater core or shower valve. Those parts hold really small amounts of water that don't take long to freeze. I'd put a shoplight in the engine compartment at the very least.

If the boat is on the lake, the 46 degree water will radiate up into the boat easier than if it's 4' above the water.

Plus, since when does the weatherman know what he's talkin about? That could work in your favor... or not.

If you have 110 volt at the dock/slip you could put a ceramic heater on low in the rear locker/compartment with the engine side panel taken out so the het is blowing into the engine compartmnt. I have two 750 watt ceramic heaters one one each side withe the baffle walls off and pointed into the engine compartment. Ihave had freezing weather at night for the last four weeks here in Virginia and have gone out four times on the water in 40-45 degree wether to just put hours on the new engine. The ceramic heaters have worked great. This, I have been told is not recommended, but I have done this numerous times on other boats and jet skis. Good luck!

The ceramic heaters have worked great. This, I have been told is not recommended, but I have done this numerous times on other boats and jet skis. Good luck!

Just a guess, but maybe because the ceramic heater could ignite any gas fumes in the bilge area? Maybe not an issue on a fuel injected engine...... hopefully.

They make marine specific heaters that won't have that risk. Boatsafe or Xtreme to name a couple. Makes it a lot easier & maybe even safer.

• Like 1

As doogles can contest I have the worst luck in the world. The boat is in lake until I can get the trailer fixed. Dumped a goldrod in the engine compartment. Crossing my fingers on the heater core :). Thanks for the advice.

Take the boat for a spin around the lake and get it up to temp before nighttime and there will be plenty of heat in the block to prevent freezing.

This weather is terrible.. going to put some faith into my worklight sitting under the engine to try to keep the temp up. Wish me luck! :Frustrated:

I'm in the same "boat". More worried about my newly installed heater and core than the block. Supposed to get down to 22 tonight and I'm out of town for work!!

Dude - I would be seriously worried about that. Is it in the sun right now with the cover on?

Dude - I would be seriously worried about that. Is it in the sun right now with the cover on?

Well, it got that cold that night but I didn't see any water in there. I've since got a heater on it with a thermostat set around 40.

Take the boat for a spin around the lake and get it up to temp before nighttime and there will be plenty of heat in the block to prevent freezing.

I always heard hot water froze faster than cold. Doesn't make sense to me, but the Zambonis I've read serve heated water on the ice & it freezes harder, quicker.

:Doh:

I always heard hot water froze faster than cold. Doesn't make sense to me, but the Zambonis I've read serve heated water on the ice & it freezes harder, quicker.

Interesting. That may be because warm water is being applied to an already frozen surface so evaporative cooling happens much more quickly in that scenario given the fact that typically ice arenas are heated. Since the cooling on an ice rink is active and controlled vs. being controlled by mother nature, the application of warm water would cause rapid cooling due to evaporation. This would then provide a quick freeze. I'm no engineer, but it makes sense......I think.

I think we should perform an experiment, would you volunteer your boat to be the one we don't run the night before?