Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you want in a new boat?

Ronnie

Seems many of us have the same peeves,

1- Tower that locks up and down

2- Rear hatches are too big, make it 3 like the Ride

3- Better hinges on the rear compartments

4- Cooler in the floor or somewhere no one has to get up. Actually come to think of it, many cars have refrigerated compartments, it would make more sense that our boats do, just make a fitted cooler bag for transferring drinks to and from. It may mess with the Centre of Gravity of the boat but I think the seats should all house the ballast tanks, equipment etc and all the usable storage should be in the floor and rear compartments.The only time someone is standing in the boat is when I ask them to get up so I can grab something from there seat. Even the storage under the glove box I would rather access from the walkthrough on a regular outing.

5- Put in an equalizer, NO ONE wants there interiors the same volume as the towers. (Maybe this has been fixed). Also not living in Cali, GOOD stereo shops are hard to find, setup a contract with some local to factory stereo shops and have custom stereo options instead of red stickered RF systems. (And I'm not even a big stereo guy). Also speed-controlled volume that actually works.

6- Tower racks without the bungees, They damage the surf boards, and sometimes slap me in the face :Doh:
7- Pop up cleats should be standard if they aren't already

8- Something on the tower that completely manages your rope! (You connect the last loop once, tell it it's 80 ft long and than it releases to what ever length you set. When your done it reels it in and your rope is stored in a little shelf on the tower) This is one of those stupid luxuries that I would totally pay for. It could even be spring loaded so it auto reels the rope in when there's no load and you just set a dial to the length. If all I had to do was set a dial to 70' and hand the handle to my buddy at the back of the boat, I would be a very happy man!

9- watertight glovebox

10- I would love hinged seats but they would have to have quick releases

11- **Adjustable height on drivers seat. Agree with previous post. HIGHLY adjustable height.

12- grip matt in storage so things don't slide around.

13- Surf gate seems like an awesome hit, but I would be happier if it was hidden under the platform?

14- Reversible seating

15- 2 gears, One optimized for wakeboarding/surfing one for barefooting/slalom Even if I had to choose which one while in neutral.

16- Surf seats like the MXZ's

And more than anything a pickle-fork VTX or 20 MXZ with a diamond hull. There are TONS of skiers that want more room, but we don't want to sacrifice our wake. This is the exact reason the VTX has been such a success. Heck if you could make a 23 LSV ski like the VTX skiers would go nuts. But I'm not expecting miracles so just start with a pickle-fork VTX!!!

I don't mind the design the new VTX glove box, I just prefer bling so keep it SS. What's that song, "her favorite color is chrome!!!"

I like so much about the MXZ - the bench seat, the igloo cooler, but I want it on the other series as well.

power driver seat like Supra

hinged seats and hard cooler like MC

quick release tower like Nautique

revise the glove box lid (do not put that horrible lid from the VTX on the other boats)

Keep the analog gauges on the helm, but raise the radio and mtc and angle them in like the VTX.

15- 2 gears, One optimized for wakeboarding/surfing one for barefooting/slalom Even if I had to choose which one while in neutral.

I can't believe this hasn't taken off given the fact that we already have transmissions and that there is so much wakesurfing going on. I definitely DO NOT want to shift on the fly, just a high and a low gear, please.

a tiny diesel which charges batteries. the batteries run an electric motor (like a city bus).....bet that would be cheap!

6 cylinder turbo diesel?

Turbo diesel motor would be great. Add a small fuel cell to (silently) keep the batteries charged while stationary. Most costly than the standard motor for sure, but long-term a much better solution.

I will add my 2 cents to the list:

Call me crazy, but an optional battery-operated bow & stern thruster for docking (

.) I'm sure many of you will scoff at the idea, but how many of your wives/girlfriends were/are eager to dock the boat, especially in windy conditions? Wouldn't it be nice to simplify the process and have them (and other guys) be EAGER to drive the boat for once? Isn't the idea to have fun? This would make it easy for everyone and would simply the process at the boat ramp...certainly everyone reading this has experienced the delays due to ineptitude at the dock? This would go a long way to solving this problem.

I can't believe this hasn't taken off given the fact that we already have transmissions and that there is so much wakesurfing going on. I definitely DO NOT want to shift on the fly, just a high and a low gear, please.

a tiny diesel which charges batteries. the batteries run an electric motor (like a city bus).....bet that would be cheap!

6 cylinder turbo diesel?

Turbo diesel motor would be great. Add a small fuel cell to (silently) keep the batteries charged while stationary. More costly than the standard motor for sure, but long-term a much better solution.

I will add my 2 cents to the list:

Call me crazy, but an optional battery-operated bow & stern thruster for docking (

.) I'm sure many of you will scoff at the idea, but how many of your wives/girlfriends were/are eager to dock the boat, especially in windy conditions? Wouldn't it be nice to simplify the process and have them (and other guys) be EAGER to drive the boat for once? Isn't the idea to have fun? This would make it easy for everyone and would simply the process at the boat ramp...certainly everyone reading this has experienced the delays due to ineptitude at the dock? This would go a long way to solving this problem. Edited by formulaben

Some of you guys crack me up...I want this, this this, and that...but I want lower prices. :Doh:

Am I missing something I thought that was the American way. :innocent:

All analog guages,

key turn ignition,

gps speed control with paddle wheel back up,

2 tons of stock ballast in 5 locations on 5 switches,

3 piece sun pad,

manual height adjustable seat,

zippered pockets on top of bimini and underside of bimini standard (for rope and handles, excess hanging rope, etc)

tower mounted mirror that is articulating allowing for a wide veriety of positions yet still stiff enough to not move when hitting rollers/chop.

Seriously though, all i really want is:

1. A ski pylon that ACTUALLY lowers down below the level of the sun pad cushion when said cushion is compressed.... this malibu half-way down pylon that sticks up by 1/2" over the sun pad, and 1" when sun pad is compressed, since 2005 is RIDICULOUS. Hello Malibu, has nobody over there noticed that this is a horrible design, yet is continually being implemented in $75k boats? Nautique had those "knee buster" hatch locks on their earlier SAN's, but that only last one year. This pylon design is just as stupid, but it is slightly less painful. Speaking of ridiculousness, request no. 2....

2. Windshield locks that cost more than $1 each and actually work. How about a 2 point locking system, same as current, on springs with beveled latches to allow the window to close and self lock. Both latches would be retracted with one button that is at the top of the windshield, easily reachable with your left handed thumb as your left hand is grabbing the top edge of said windshield. This would allow a single hand unlock and opening of windshield from either the cabin or the bow. Simple, functional, and on a $120k mxz, expected (even though it would cost a couple dollars more per boat to accomplish this). In addition to this, put the windshield on a gas shock to prevent from slamming. A small shock built in to the base of the port window would do just fine.

3. The plexiglass windscreen that slides down under the windshield... can you please design something better, in a $75k+ boat, than having to slide a piece of plastic down 2 guides? And no, master crafts folding billet door is not the answer, that thing is as hideous as the new xstar, and rattles like no other. How about a sliding pocket for the plexiglass? It would slide to the starboard side behind the bow seat back, in the driver helm area. You can still have the heater and subs and ballast hoses going over there. It would be simple, just have a plastic pocket put in place during fiberglassing. Done. You are welcome.

Edited by JohnnyDefacto

All analog guages,

key turn ignition,

gps speed control with paddle wheel back up,

2 tons of stock ballast in 5 locations on 5 switches,

3 piece sun pad,

manual height adjustable seat,

zippered pockets on top of bimini and underside of bimini standard (for rope and handles, excess hanging rope, etc)

tower mounted mirror that is articulating allowing for a wide veriety of positions yet still stiff enough to not move when hitting rollers/chop.

Seriously though, all i really want is:

1. A ski pylon that ACTUALLY lowers down below the level of the sun pad cushion when said cushion is compressed.... this malibu half-way down pylon that sticks up by 1/2" over the sun pad, and 1" when sun pad is compressed, since 2005 is RIDICULOUS. Hello Malibu, has nobody over there noticed that this is a horrible design, yet is continually being implemented in $75k boats? Nautique had those "knee buster" hatch locks on their earlier SAN's, but that only last one year. This pylon design is just as stupid, but it is slightly less painful. Speaking of ridiculousness, request no. 2....

2. Windshield locks that cost more than $1 each and actually work. How about a 2 point locking system, same as current, on springs with beveled latches to allow the window to close and self lock. Both latches would be retracted with one button that is at the top of the windshield, easily reachable with your left handed thumb as your left hand is grabbing the top edge of said windshield. This would allow a single hand unlock and opening of windshield from either the cabin or the bow. Simple, functional, and on a $120k mxz, expected (even though it would cost a couple dollars more per boat to accomplish this). In addition to this, put the windshield on a gas shock to prevent from slamming. A small shock built in to the base of the port window would do just fine.

3. The plexiglass windscreen that slides down under the windshield... can you please design something better, in a $75k+ boat, than having to slide a piece of plastic down 2 guides? And no, master crafts folding billet door is not the answer, that thing is as hideous as the new xstar, and rattles like no other. How about a sliding pocket for the plexiglass? It would slide to the starboard side behind the bow seat back, in the driver helm area. You can still have the heater and subs and ballast hoses going over there. It would be simple, just have a plastic pocket put in place during fiberglassing. Done. You are welcome.

Have to agree with both of these. The windshield is impossible for non regulars to open from the bow and always slams shut. Even a strong torsional spring in a hinge would make it better for no slamming.

Also the plexiglass door never gets used for this exact reason. I think Johnny's solution is right on the money too.

More onboard hard-tank ballast

Tweeked VLX/LSV hulls for a rampier wakeboard wake like the 22 MXZ

Taller seat bases (higher off of the floor) and higher freeboard

Hinged seat bases

Flip up rear facing seats

A better/wider walk over transom option with a filler cushion that hinges open independently of the other hatches

Have the rear center seat flip over with a step on the other side. Everybody steps on this seat cushion when getting in/out and it will save the stitching

Vest heater tray that works with the upgraded engines like the LS3

Height adjustable drivers seat

3-piece rear hatches, or at least rear hatches that are easier to open

Pull out full sized cooler

Bow anchor storage area

Transom surf seats as an option on VLX/LSV

5 extra switch outputs on the MTC screen and control box. That way when things like extra ballast pumps or lights are added they can be controlled from the MTC without adding additional rocker switches. Even if the control box can't handle the extra current load, just having the switch outputs so they can control relays (which can handle the current load) would have be great

I also like the latch idea instead of the knobs for the folding tower locks

Updated gel patterns

Updated interior patterns

Do not duplicate the 2013 VTX dash across the Wakesetter line, it looks terrible

Do not duplicate the 2013 VTX glove box across the Wakesetter line, it also looks terrible

Edited by Brett B

One simple need: Cup holders for my spotters. 6:00 am slalom sessions ALWAYS involve coffee, but the driver is the only one with a cup holder??

OK, maybe a second simple need: Add a second cup holder for the driver, there is plenty of room to drop another one just ahead of the one they give you.

One simple need: Cup holders for my spotters. 6:00 am slalom sessions ALWAYS involve coffee, but the driver is the only one with a cup holder??

OK, maybe a second simple need: Add a second cup holder for the driver, there is plenty of room to drop another one just ahead of the one they give you.

I have two for the driver and I believe 14 or 16 more throughout. At least your request has been answered :)

• Telescoping seats (like an office chair please don't make it electronic so it can't break on me). I don't want to have to do another seat raise project in my lifetime and I shouldn't have to. Should allow at LEAST +4" of travel. This technology is available in $100 office chairs - lets get with it.
  • Reversible rear seat like the G23 and X-star have (hint: do it the G23 way - the x-star's seat is heavy and clumsy to operate comparatively)
  • Gravity fill ballast or make pumps faster, if going the pump route I'm not talking add a couple hundred GPH to the figure, I'm talking at least double your speed so people who add ballast can do so without need of custom installs.
  • On the MXZ, fix the back end so you don't need to be a 12 year old child to fit in the rear lockers and work on the engine (go back to the 23 LSV style lockers so we can easily get in and out of our lockers. PLEASE).
  • When the MXZ goes from a 22' to a 24' the bow is added to by 6". The bow is already big enough on the 22', bring that additional six inches to the rear cabin instead.
  • On the MXZ, fix the "spray gate" issue.
  • On the MXZ, bring the bling factor back to the interior. My 06 23 LSV has more chrome plates with 'malibu' etched on them, etc than the new MXZ's. I couldn't help but feel like I was in a very plain interior on the new MXZ.

Otherwise, keep doing what your doing :)

Edited by wakeboarder3780
  • Like 1

Ok I have another request. Fix the water hose routing on the LS3 engine. Having a large brass block straight out of the hardware store just sitting on top of the intake manifold, with teflon tape streamers and all, completely cheapens the look of an otherwise fantastic engine. Not to mention having that block vibrate/bounce around will eventually gouge the finish on the intake or whatever else it hits.

Mount that distribution block to a bracket under the throttle body, and route the hoses under those nice "Corvette" engine covers just like all the other hoses and wire harnesses. Make it look like you care about fit/finish as opposed to throwing it on there as an afterthought.

Just my 2 cents. :cheers:

D6DCB9E8-7CF9-4739-9577-C285B256E91F-754