Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power or Manual wedge..

Newsurfer

Thanks everyone for your replies on the two boats I'm looking at. Refresh a 08 with LCR and an 07 with the Hammerhead. The seller of the 08 now tells me his boat doesn't have a power wedge. Question, if you have a small family and want to surf does the power wedge give you more control of the wake? Or are they just gimmick that requires extra service?

Thanks in Advance AGAIN..

I like the wedge up or down no in between many people don't surf with the wedge down they don't like how it does the wake. I like it down. As far as control I would say they are the same the manual wedge just takes a little more work than just pushing a button. I did have a friend when he put his wedge down the boat wouldn't go on plan we changed out his prop for a more pulling prop (537) a problem went away.

BTW I am lazy so I need the power wedge but if your not the manual is not that big of a deal.

I have used both frequently and will say I would say I would have no reservations in buying a used boat with as floating wedge. They work well and are virtually problem free, unlike the power wedge. Yes, you have to get your arm wet to deploy and retract the floater, but it's really not that big of a deal.

The power wedge does add the abilty to control shape a little more, but along with that abilty comes the issues with actuators,. modules, ect.

Don't let the floater detract you from an otherwise clean boat. The surf wake will still be money with proper wieghting, and both boats will need that.

Never used a PW but have a floater, Works great and it seems the only thing its missing is the adjust-ability of the power wedge. But it has zero maintenance or problems and it doesn't require power to put down when on the trailer (I drop mine to make it fit in the house garage). The only thing I will say is when I'm with friends I have no problem because they know whats up, but when I'm with family I sometimes get annoyed of asking or getting up to lift or lower it when I could push button in the drivers seat. But at the end of the day I'd probably get it again on a new boat anyways.

Didn't see if you are looking at vlx or lsv? The 08 lsv has newer hull than 07 and wants the wedge 2 clicks up for best surf wave. Only possible with power. The 07 is older hull and is better wave with no wedge and a lot of weight. If it's a vlx they didn't change hull till 09 so you don't want to use wedge till then. Again 2 clicks up.

I am glad to hear many aren't that concerned with the power vs. floating wedge. We are looking to upgrade next year and I thought my only choice was the VLX due to our 24' garage but saw the specs for the 23LSV with floating wedge down, platform removed and folded tongue will fit whereas the power wedge added 4-6" when down.

• 5 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but one thing annoying about the manual wedge is we forget if its up or down. Anybody ever come up with a dash indicator or something to alert the driver of the wedge position?

Cheers

I have recently purchased an 07 lsv and it has a power wedge, some of our riders prefer the difference between full and partially full (5 clicks vs 8 clicks).

During my search for boats a power wedge was not a deal breaker. There are many pros, mentioned above, regarding the auto wedge.

Slightly off topic but one thing annoying about the manual wedge is we forget if its up or down. Anybody ever come up with a dash indicator or something to alert the driver of the wedge position?

Cheers

yes axis does

Cheers

Yes - I put a waterproof switch on the homemade floating wedge several years ago for the sunsetter. It triggered an amber light on the dash when wedge was lowered. MartinArcher now owns the boat... so I really didn't get to try the switch/indicator too long but he says he likes it. I planned on putting one on my current boat. We always sit, forget, and start to head back with the wedge down.

EDIT -- Here's the link to a pic of that switch

https://picasaweb.google.com/103899927922715396516/MalibuCustomFloatingWedgeFor87#5475666074245678290

Edited by rugger

Cheers

Really? I can tell immediately if I forgot to put the wedge up. The boat just feels different.

Yes - I put a waterproof switch on the homemade floating wedge several years ago for the sunsetter. It triggered an amber light on the dash when wedge was lowered. MartinArcher now owns the boat... so I really didn't get to try the switch/indicator too long but he says he likes it. I planned on putting one on my current boat. We always sit, forget, and start to head back with the wedge down.

EDIT -- Here's the link to a pic of that switch

https://picasaweb.google.com/103899927922715396516/MalibuCustomFloatingWedgeFor87#5475666074245678290

Hi Rugger,

Is that switch off the shelf or did you custom make it - there don't seem to be many suitable waterproof switches around....?

Cheers