Sign in to follow this  
ToeCutter

Freeing up the exhausts...

ToeCutter

Just bought a 2005 Wakesetter and love it in every way. Coming from an outboard it's nice to be able to hold a conversation whilst towing the rugrats. That said, it seems a shame that the V8 roar is so muffled - it would be nice to have a bit of rumble.

Any thoughts on freeing up the exhausts a little to add a bit of rumble for the inner hoon?

40oz

+1 to hear the response to this.

racer808

I had a rumbly V8 before this VLX & we hated it after a while. I especially hated it behind the boat.

Woodski

Martin's thread is excellent and gives a great step by step. What exhaust are you starting with? Both Martin and I started with standard twin in line mufflers and moved to the aluminum headers with home made 4" pipes and stainless tips. You might be starting with a silent rider or the same setup as your reference point. If you are simply looking for a noise change, I would start from the rear going forward in terms of changes. Both Martin and I were looking for a power increase and the melodious tune of a small block V8 came along as a pleasant by product! I got a bit of a deeper tone due to a compression ratio increase.

CumminsBu

Just straight pipe and pull the muffler off. If you don't like it then move on to headers. The Indmar ETX man are awesome alone.