Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

seat slider rail removal help ?

can't figure out how to get this part out....any suggestions appreciated!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42163-help-removing-seat-slider-rails-adding-seat-riser-05-vlx/

I'm adding the seat riser as pictured and while I was in there figured I'd paint or powder coat the seat slider lock arm. I can't seem to figure out how to get that off - I have it stripped down to the rails but its a carriage bolt type top or a rivet maybe. I can't figure out how to release the top slide so the top rail will slide off the bottom rail. Any suggestions please?

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-2051-0-19219900-1363643357_thumb.pn

post-2051-0-60842900-1363842237_thumb.jp

On my boat, there was a round removable port in the center of the seat base or the fiberglass bump for the seat, mine was a large circular threaded cap that simply unscrewed with half turn. Pop that off and the slider is attached with nyloc nuts on the bottom side.

• 7 years later...

Hey Chris,

Did you ever have any luck on removing those rusted seat rails? Any tips on how to get them off without completely unbuttoning the entire floor?

Thanks!

If the rails are shot, I would just remove them in the most fiberglass preserving manner possible. Buy new rails and screw them into the fiberglass with new SS lag bolts. Just like on my 2019 LSV. 😖 I have since replaced those with hex button head bolts and nylocs.

On 3/21/2013 at 12:06 AM, Chris said:

can't figure out how to get this part out....any suggestions appreciated!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42163-help-removing-seat-slider-rails-adding-seat-riser-05-vlx/

I'm adding the seat riser as pictured and while I was in there figured I'd paint or powder coat the seat slider lock arm. I can't seem to figure out how to get that off - I have it stripped down to the rails but its a carriage bolt type top or a rivet maybe. I can't figure out how to release the top slide so the top rail will slide off the bottom rail. Any suggestions please?

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-2051-0-19219900-1363643357_thumb.pn
  •  

post-2051-0-60842900-1363842237_thumb.jp

I think they are one part and the top of the slider doesn’t slide off the bottom part.  Move the top forward to access the rear bolt into the boat and slide  back to get to the front bolt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, wdr said:

If the rails are shot, I would just remove them in the most fiberglass preserving manner possible. Buy new rails and screw them into the fiberglass with new SS lag bolts. Just like on my 2019 LSV. 😖 I have since replaced those with hex button head bolts and nylocs.

Yeah, the boat doesn't have a fiberglass riser like later models. It has the exact kind as the OP.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, Bozboat said:

I think they are one part and the top of the slider doesn’t slide off the bottom part.  Move the top forward to access the rear bolt into the boat and slide  back to get to the front bolt.

I will give it another look this week, adding it to the laundry list of other things I'm working on this week. Both rails are rusted to hell and immovable. When I was doing some spring cleaning I was stumped as the bolts that pass through the rails are rounded carriage bolt-type heads.

I wasn't sure if I had to remove the plastic partition/false wall on the bow-side of the bilge and fish my hand under there (which I would think run into a stringer, anyways).