Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Windshield tinting

my malibu

Finally pulled the windshield off the boat to get it tinted.

On the fourth shop now. All have tried . And all have failed.

Looking for any tint shop around the Seattle area that can tint this windscreen?

One guy said he could but for $800.00.

This seems extremely high.

There are many threads about this. This one I think gives a good justification on what people have paid, it is fairly recent.

link

or here...

link

Edited by Slyexe

Give midnight window tint a call. They have done my last 3 cars. I think they will do a boat for aground $300

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

These tint guys are nuts. 800 bucks? Lets say 100 bucks in material, and that's generous. 700 bucks labor? If it took him 8 hours to do, which it won't that would about 87 dollars and hour! No real education needed to become a window tinter, and you get close to 90 bucks and hour? They can eat a d##k . I found some of the same gouging down here in Portland, luckily another member pulled a favor for me and found a reasonable mobile guy.

• Like 2

Just had mine done limo tint. $150. Dropped the windows off for a week with no hurry. He told me he was surprised he got it to bend/fit but it did it. Im a long haul from the west coast though

Edited by broski24

Midnight window tint is trying now,but will not have it back until next Tuesday and of course the sun comes out.

Finally got my Sea dek pad and its the wrong size DOH another 5 weeks ya

Hope this is not the start to a bad season on the water.

These tint guys are nuts. 800 bucks? Lets say 100 bucks in material, and that's generous. 700 bucks labor? If it took him 8 hours to do, which it won't that would about 87 dollars and hour! No real education needed to become a window tinter, and you get close to 90 bucks and hour? They can eat a d##k . I found some of the same gouging down here in Portland, luckily another member pulled a favor for me and found a reasonable mobile guy.

Most quotes like that are from guys that aren't comfortable with doing it or see potential for loss. They find a price that will turn away some people, and for those that do agree the shop won't lose their @ss on if it takes three or four tries to get it right, or if they have to pay a third party expert to come in and remove the windshield.

I end up throwing a couple crazy quotes out there per year in my line and usually this is the reason. CYA. If nothing comes up out of the ordinary, I will charge the customer less, but it's much easier to have the higher price up front rather than "back door" someone once it's complete. :)

Good luck my malibu! Post up pics when you get it back.

while midnight failed

Just my luck.

Starting to think this windshield can't be done.

Going to call darkside and acutint and hope.

Three weeks now. 5 up and 5 down

Edited by my malibu

liljohn acutint has it now

Told the guy if he can do it I would take him out on the water

crossing my fingers

funny thing is the shop is a couple blocks away from my curent job site . go figure

Edited by my malibu

Ended up having a mobile guy come out to do mine in the shop. Did a fantastic job and man was he fast! Hour and twenty minutes...he was done! Thank You to Exsclusive Tinting out of Salem, OR. Guy drove and hour + to Vancouver, WA to do the job I might add. Don't find exceptional service that like often. I knew the other guys that quoted me where smoking something. Thanks STEVE.

Picture008_zps52e3a0de.jpg

Picture013_zps20293571.jpg

• Like 2

Question, Is tinting your windshield purely for the look? Does it provide any real benefit Glare off water maybe? I feel like for us anyway, it would just make it more difficult to see things. :dontknow:

Can't see the wake setter letters hardly at all!

By design. Little more of the custom touch there. It's a WIP.

Picture016_zpsc266d813.jpg

Picture015_zpsf9b9902b.jpg

Picture002_zps83b0a955.jpg

Question, Is tinting your windshield purely for the look? Does it provide any real benefit Glare off water maybe? I feel like for us anyway, it would just make it more difficult to see things. :dontknow:

Really, its for looks mostly, but it does cut down on glare in the evenings when facing the sun. I have never really felt like it has hindered my vison. Its actually pretty subtle. Only 20%.

Getting mine back today from the tint company and can't wait to see it. They stated that they had tinted a few boats in the past and seemed like it was no problem. I offered to take the windshield off and drop it by so they could work on it at their leisure. $800 sounds really steep for tinting but maybe it a west coast thing. Paying $80 bucks to have mine done.

I had my windows done last year 20% and we are on the river quite a bit usually until sunset. And let me tell you driving upriver with the sun setting. Is so much better looking through my tinted windshield even with sun glasses. I will always have a tinted wind shield not to mention the look. Changes the whole attitude of the boat,

man those pics hurt.

6th guy to try to tint mine and he failed also.

I guess it can't be tinted.

Acutint was the last to fail and the tint guy has done several other boats.

:(