Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing from CIPA to PTM mirror on G3 Tower mount

Fman

I am going to upgrading my mirror on my G3 tower mount from the CIPA 3 lens to the PTM VR-140, before I purchase I wanted to confirm I can bolt the PTM directly onto the G3 Tower arm mirror that the CIPA is currently mounted to? has anyone done this?

Second, other than the housing difference is there any viewing difference between the PTM VR 140 Elite and VR 140 Pro? One is double the cost ($199/$399), I cant see any resolution difference in the view, just that the Elite has the aluminum billet housing.

I think you can do it direct, since on bakes there is an option for both and it looks the same. The Elite is wider I think and won't fit on the tower mount, at least the IX.

A friend of mine just took delivery of a 13 with the PTM...Fits the arm and looks good. Not sure if it is the Elite or Pro tho...I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

Yes, it worked for me. Did it last summer to my 11 VTX. IIRC the mirror has a bolt, stick the bolt through the arm, tighten the nut with deep socket. Done. I went with black to match the arm. Love the mirror. Sold the CIPA. I think the black is plastic and the brushed is aluminum.

IMG_0298_zps8ececef2.jpg

Edited by skurfer

It looks like the Elite and Pro are exactly the same size 6x20 with 140 degree viewing angle. The only difference I can see is the housing being billet on the Elite.

Skurfer,

Did you notice a big improvement from the CIPA to the PTM VTR 140? Looks like you went with the Pro ($199)?

It looks like the Elite and Pro are exactly the same size 6x20 with 140 degree viewing angle. The only difference I can see is the housing being billet on the Elite.

Skurfer,

Did you notice a big improvement from the CIPA to the PTM VTR 140? Looks like you went with the Pro ($199)?

Yeah, I think the 140 stands for 140 degree view. Same exact mirror. Went with the black pro. Yes, I love the mirror. Could not stand the CIPA. I had it on my 05 X-2 and switched back to the standard tower mirror. My only complaint is that since it is 140 degree convex mirror, things can look a bit small. But at least you can seem them instead of 3 of them... I really think they tested all angles and the 140 is the best. I've heard CIPA is following, but haven't seen anything, yet.

Edited by skurfer

I bought mine direct when they first came out. Scott at Samson sells them. Tell him Bryan at NW Boat Sports referred you. He also makes the arm, but I think he has exclusive deal with Malibu...Come to think of it, you should be able to get your new boat with the arm and PTM mirror from the factory. Ask IXFE if he is getting his with it?

Edited by skurfer

I saved my G3 Tower mirror arm from my 2011, I was just going to plan on using it and ordering the mirror replacement. The G3 Tower mirror with PTM was over $600, I can get the mirror piece for $199.

Where did you buy your PTM at? There are not a lot of retailers selling them.

I bought mine (VR-140 Pro) here, http://calmarinesports.com/gear/mirrors/ptm-edge-vr-140-pro.html, on Black Friday for a ridiculously low price of $127.97! I'm not kidding. I half expected it to be some kind of mistake, but sure enough it arrived on my doorstep a week later.

Edited by Bu hoo

I'm a Supreme dealer. Came on a new V226. Can't find them online. The arm is Samson. My guess is that Samson can get them. Give Scott at Samson a call. I like the back of the PTM better. My guess is the Cipa is cheaper, tho...

Edited by skurfer

Both mirrors themselves are great. The Cipa probably provides a little more angle. Maybe not. I don't like the back of the mirror on the Cipa. Feels cheap to me. Look closely at the pics. The back of PTM is flatter and a little less cheap. I'm sure some will disagree.

Sorry wrong mirror. The thing I don't like about the Cipa tower mount is that you see 3 of the riders, quite annoying.

Not the Cipa mirror in post 12

Edited by skurfer