Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 23 for 2014?!?!

huskey87

Are the lockers bigger in VLX, LSV than they are in the VTX? I always figured the engines were the same, why would the lockers be bigger? Maybe an inch wider to make up for extra freeboard but same length? We can think pre-transom seats to keep it simple?

They are definitely wider, since the boat is wider, I'm also pretty sure they are a little longer. I know my buddies LSV lockers hold 1100s when my VTX is full with 750s

As I said before, I have worked on a boat with the rear facing seats and it was not much fun. Since I do most of the work on my boat I will never own one with those seats. I would never let anyone sit there anyway, so I would get no benefit. Just adding my 2 cents in case anyone is keeping score.

on our lake you can ride on the transom while surfing, so people would use it allthe time for that, plus it's nice to sit on when you're just floating or putting on your board.

Just because you can does not mean you should. Just because people would does not mean the captain should allow them to. My bet is that people sitting on those rear facing seats will not be wearing a vest. I think we can reasonably assume at least some of them have been drinking. Maybe a few of those are faced. Now what happens when you hit the throttle and lose a drunk rear seat sitter who is not wearing a vest?

I lost a drunk guy off the rear sunpad once. He just rolled right off. He hit his head on the platform as he exited the boat. I had enough time to imagine the trial and prison experience I would be facing while I waited for him to surface.

No one in the rear facing seats. No one on the sunpad. No No No

I think most of the boats now have a molded in seat for the rider to put his/her board on.......while wearing a vest.....and the boat sitting still. Works for me.

Can we talk about USCG approved vests now?

I kind of view the sunpad/transom area the same way I do the kitchen in a house.

Have you ever noticed that when you have people over to the house to socialize, they tend to congregate in the kitchen. It's bizarre. I have a family room (immediately adjacent to the kitchen) with a large, comfy, sectional couch sitting in front of a 55" LED with a nice 7.1 surround sound system. And yet, rather than relaxing in the family room, they are standing in the kitchen because it's the social nucleus of the house, and people like food more than they like tv. :biggrin:

I've noticed the same is true on our boat, only it's the sunpad/transom area that attracts all the bodies. Obviously when the boat is underway, everybody is in their seat inside the boat. But as soon as we stop... even just to pick up a rider, many of our guests (both kids and adults) migrate to the rear. Some think they are helping (mind you, they are not... sometimes I wanna tell people to stop "helping" so much). Other times they just want to hang out on the sunpad, swim platform, or jump in the water.

For that reason, I can 100% understand why boat makers are adding creature comforts to the back of the boat. It's a natural gathering place when the engine stops. It is not about sitting there while underway. I don't believe that's why the boat companies are doing this.

Personally, I love sitting on the back of my boat with a pop in my hand, especially after finishing a wakeboarding set. It's a very calming, relaxing moment. Do I need a sofa configuration to enjoy that moment... of course not. But I wouldn't mind it either.

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 1

One final thought from me on the transom seating...

I have to chuckle at folks who complain that it makes it harder to service the engine. I think you guys are the minority, kind of like the guy at work who's clinging to his Blackberry, swearing that the physical keyboard is superior to any touch screen (can you tell I work in hi-tech?). While that may be true, it doesn't reflect the obvious shift in the market. And boat companies (or any companies for that matter) cannot afford to be stuck in the past. The fact is... when high net worth families are buying boats, serviceability is the absolute LAST thing on their mind. Honestly, do you think Ferrari cares that you have to drop the entire engine block to change a spark plug? Same applies here.

Edited by IXFE

One final thought from me on the transom seating...

I have to chuckle at folks who complain that it makes it harder to service the engine. I think you guys are the minority, kind of like the guy at work who's clinging to his Blackberry, swearing that the physical keyboard is superior to any touch screen (can you tell I work in hi-tech?). While that may be true, it doesn't reflect the obvious shift in the market. And boat companies (or any companies for that matter) cannot afford to be stuck in the past. The fact is... when high net worth families are buying boats, serviceability is the absolute LAST thing on their mind. Honestly, do you think Ferrari cares that you have to drop the entire engine block to change a spark plug? Same applies here.

Dang man, at least if my Ferrari craps out all I have to do is pull over and call for a tow. Boats on bodies of water (sometimes with a current, wind, etc.) with sketchy cell coverage... not so much. I very much appreciate having the room to do a little work if I have to. Are you saying you'd call for a tow if an impeller granaded?

I kind of view the sunpad/transom area the same way I do the kitchen in a house.

Have you ever noticed that when you have people over to the house to socialize, they tend to congregate in the kitchen. It's bizarre. I have a family room (immediately adjacent to the kitchen) with a large, comfy, sectional couch sitting in front of a 55" LED with a nice 7.1 surround sound system. And yet, rather than relaxing in the family room, they are standing in the kitchen because it's the social nucleus of the house, and people like food more than they like tv. :biggrin:

I've noticed the same is true on our boat, only it's the sunpad/transom area that attracts all the bodies. Obviously when the boat is underway, everybody is in their seat inside the boat. But as soon as we stop... even just to pick up a rider, many of our guests (both kids and adults) migrate to the rear. Some think they are helping (mind you, they are not... sometimes I wanna tell people to stop "helping" so much). Other times they just want to hang out on the sunpad, swim platform, or jump in the water.

For that reason, I can 100% understand why boat makers are adding creature comforts to the back of the boat. It's a natural gathering place when the engine stops. It is not about sitting there while underway. I don't believe that's why the boat companies are doing this.

Personally, I love sitting on the back of my boat with a pop in my hand, especially after finishing a wakeboarding set. It's a very calming, relaxing moment. Do I need a sofa configuration to enjoy that moment... of course not. But I wouldn't mind it either.

People gather in the kitchen because that's where the alcohol is. Yep.

after all this conversing and arguing over the ability to work on the mxz/transome seating i headed to the garage and decided to do a mock impeller change to see if there were any extra tools to make it easier and i found with the tool kit i carry i can do an unrushed through impeller swap on the water in 40 minutes without a puller and i decided im going to add a puller and i should be good if needed.

i dont see it being that big of a hassle if you had a spare set of hands you could avoid the having to lean out and grab some thing but otherwise not much harder then a 23 lsv if at all

Just because you can does not mean you should. Just because people would does not mean the captain should allow them to. My bet is that people sitting on those rear facing seats will not be wearing a vest. I think we can reasonably assume at least some of them have been drinking. Maybe a few of those are faced. Now what happens when you hit the throttle and lose a drunk rear seat sitter who is not wearing a vest?

I lost a drunk guy off the rear sunpad once. He just rolled right off. He hit his head on the platform as he exited the boat. I had enough time to imagine the trial and prison experience I would be facing while I waited for him to surface.

No one in the rear facing seats. No one on the sunpad. No No No

I think most of the boats now have a molded in seat for the rider to put his/her board on.......while wearing a vest.....and the boat sitting still. Works for me.

Can we talk about USCG approved vests now?

I don't typically have drunks on my boat, and if they are they sure as hell aren't the ones manning the rope for the people surfing. It's true they aren't wearing a vest, but they also are sober and aware of when the boat is about to take off, because they are the one relaying the hit it back to the driver. I think letting people get tore up on your boat is a far larger danger than allowing people to man the surf rope from the sunpad.

There are only two places I ever sit in my boat, the drivers seat or the sunpad. That's where I coach newbie surfers from. I'm sure I've had 4+ ppl on the sunpad before, feet in or out of the boat. I can be found standing on the rear platform during sets too. Just this weekend I was emptying the rear ballast bags at 40 mph from the rear platform.

Sure I'm taking an unnecessary risk, but it's my own risk. I don't boat on a busy lake and I'm not too concerned. There's too much bubble wrap these days, Let me enjoy my time on the water.

To sum it up, yes I would love transom seats. And I work on my engine too. I work on my engine 3x a year. I'll use those seats more than 30 full days a year.

There are only two places I ever sit in my boat, the drivers seat or the sunpad. That's where I coach newbie surfers from. I'm sure I've had 4+ ppl on the sunpad before, feet in or out of the boat. I can be found standing on the rear platform during sets too. Just this weekend I was emptying the rear ballast bags at 40 mph from the rear platform.

Sure I'm taking an unnecessary risk, but it's my own risk. I don't boat on a busy lake and I'm not too concerned. There's too much bubble wrap these days, Let me enjoy my time on the water.

To sum it up, yes I would love transom seats. And I work on my engine too. I work on my engine 3x a year. I'll use those seats more than 30 full days a year.

1. That's crazy

2. That'd be a fine in most places if you were spotted.

3. Carbon Monoxide is the biggest reason not to have transom seats IMO.

1. That's crazy

2. That'd be a fine in most places if you were spotted.

3. Carbon Monoxide is the biggest reason not to have transom seats IMO.

This has not been mentioned at all by my local authorities when they've spoken with us (And yes they have definitely seen/watched). Alcohol on the other is hand is prohibited on board (unless transporting to an island closed/sealed). As for nyumber 3, this was the only reason I would ever wear a life vest (50% of the time). Now I have FAE, so no worries.

• Like 1

I don't typically have drunks on my boat, and if they are they sure as hell aren't the ones manning the rope for the people surfing. It's true they aren't wearing a vest, but they also are sober and aware of when the boat is about to take off, because they are the one relaying the hit it back to the driver. I think letting people get tore up on your boat is a far larger danger than allowing people to man the surf rope from the sunpad.

I can't remember the last time I lost a drunk who was seated inside the boat.

I can't remember the last time I lost a drunk who was seated inside the boat.

I can't remember ever having to worry about losing a drunk from my boat, period. We drink beer on lakes we can, but I don't really allow anyone to get super intoxicated. It's not safe, not fun, and not a good place for it. I've never lost a sober person, or even come close, from my sun pad while surfing either.

Here's the crazy part. The drunk guy I lost over the transom worked at the place that does my engine work. (not my dealer) I knew he had been drinking, but when he asked to go out with us it was hard to say no. Every time we stopped he was yelling to other boats asking if he could bum a smoke. After his swim in his street clothes I dropped him off at the dock. Good times!

I have total strangers on my boat quite often. There seems to be a drinker in every crowd. I can just hear a lawyer referring to those rear seats as "an attractive nuisance" while explaining to the jury that it is all my fault for buying a boat with such dangerous seating. Ok, gotta run, Judge Judy is on.

As the guy who just got a 2013, can you please delete this thread and end my buyer's remorse period?

. Don't kid yourself. Your Bu is sweet. Have no regrets.
  • 2 weeks later...

speaking of new, do the incentives for the new boats come out right away, or will I need to wait until boat show season.

And not a fan of the transom seating. Unless they put the seats on hindges too so I can access the full compartment