Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 247 LSV seat config, help me decide

PyleDriver

Hey guys!! New to the board here.

I am buying a 08 247 LSV from out of state. Been looking for awhile and found the perfect boat. I am in the final stages of the boat purchase and I find out the boat has the passenger captain chair instead of the bench. I never asked what it had and all the pictures never showed that corner so I didn't think about it. Well I insisted to see all the angles and bang there is the seat I was expecting to not see.

Questions:

Do any of you guys have the passenger captain chair and if so do you like it?

Anyone have the bench that wish they had the Chiar?

Whats the Pros and Cons?

I really like the boat, its fully loaded and even has Maliview which is super rare for a 08.

Thanks!!

Mike

I'd rather not have it, but if you like the boat, it's a small gripe. It's a 247 so not as big a deal as a 21 or 23', you still have lots of room. And the maliview kit is cool, think that was a $2500+ kit.

Welcome to the crew.

Not a big fan of the captains chair. When I'm spending that much money on a boat, I want options that I can live with.

If you can live with the captains chair do it. I couldn't live with a captains chair

I tried to find a 247 with the captains chair before we got ours. My wife wanted "her own chair" and anything I can do or get to keep her on the lake longer is worth it. With the bench you can get more people under the bimini on the hot days, and has more storage. Now she drives it as much as I do, so there are times I wish I had a captains chair (hate not seeing where we are going).

All good points guys, thanks!!

MLBurns, you bring up a good point. I have a 17 year old son that may want to drive every once in awhile, So I might be in the passenger seat. it would drive me nuts to not see where we were going. Plus we boat at Powell and Havasu and both of those lakes can have long runs where we will be cruising for awhile.

I am really torn. The boat is perfect in all the other ways. on 87 hours and every options possible. The price is right and I don't think I will find another deal like this before the spring hits.

I wonder if it would be harder to sell?

Mike

I would pass on that boat just because it has that chair. Such valuable space ruined with it and that's a prime seating spot for people. If you need to look forward, it's not hard to turn your body a bit on the bench seat.

My best boating buddy has a 2007 247 with the dual captain's chairs.

I like my wraparound seating better, but he does not find it to be a major PIA. He also wishes that he had wraparound seating. But it hasn't made him sell the boat and he has put almost 400 hours on it. He has adequate funds and could buy another boat if he wanted, so the seating has not been a major source of pain for him. And he does wish that he had the wraparound seating for shade, but again, not enough to seriously consider trading up. Also, the compartment under the glove box is a bit less usable because it is open for foot room.

In my searches, I have found that the dual captain's chairs are usually a little less expensive, and I think that is simple supply and demand. So although some people prefer that configuration, I think they are fewer than what is out there.

Simple rule, if you don't love it don't buy it. You will always be second guessing yourself. I searched for the boat that I wanted for almost a year and I almost bought 2 boats that I did not love but could not pull the trigger.Then came along a even better boat than I was originaly looking for at a great deal. I would be kicking myseff in the a** if I setled for something I didn't love.

All good points guys, thanks!!

MLBurns, you bring up a good point. I have a 17 year old son that may want to drive every once in awhile, So I might be in the passenger seat. it would drive me nuts to not see where we were going. Plus we boat at Powell and Havasu and both of those lakes can have long runs where we will be cruising for awhile.

I am really torn. The boat is perfect in all the other ways. on 87 hours and every options possible. The price is right and I don't think I will find another deal like this before the spring hits.

I wonder if it would be harder to sell?

Mike

Harder to sell, maybe to inboard snobs like us....

For what you do at Powell with the cruising, it would be a great option IMO. I almost bought an MC ProSport 205 instead of my Echelon because it had two chairs (ProSport vs. ProStar) because of my wife's back problems, but could not make the deal with the distance.

Loss of under dash and under seat storage is a concern for sure, as well as possible resale. BUT for what you intend to use it for I think you and your family would enjoy it more during your time with it having the two chairs.

I personally would never buy a boat with the sport seating. I came across a couple boats with that option, when I was looking for my 23. Instant deal breaker for me.

The seller didn't have pics of the sport seating for a reason. He is having a hard time moving it.

Also makes me wonder what else he isn't showing or telling you.

Edited by Deven

Thanks again for the feedback.

all being equal I would not even consider this boat with the captain chair. But its not equal. There are two boats I am looking at. Both basically the same price.

Boat 1:

Malivue

87 hours

Nicer trailer

Passenger captain chair

and every other option ie. Shower, Heater, docking lights, under water lights,

P1020165.JPG

Boat 2:

No Malivue

wrap around bench

250 hours

and every other option ie. Shower, Heater, docking lights, under water lights,

4085190_-1_20120922143143_7_0.jpg?w=640&

I personally would never buy a boat with the sport seating. I came across a couple boats with that option, when I was looking for my 23. Instant deal breaker for me.

I totally agree on a 23 that the captain chair would be a deal killer. You just loose to much seating. With the 247 its not as clear of a deal breaker.

Mike

Love the colors on the first one. What's the price difference?

They are the same price but #2 will cost $1k more to get shipped. But really by the time its all done they end up within $400 of each other in my garage. I am leaning towards the first one with the chairs and the Maliview. With only 87 hours and more options I think its the better boat to own. Plus I agree and I like the first boat colors better.

MP

247 cabin space is so big I don't think it matters that much. Can you post some pics of the insides? Lots of folks are applying 21-23ft layout to thinking to a 24"+ boat. The entire added length is ALL in the cabin, none in the bow. I'd say it might factor 5-10% of my decision on a 247.... Whereas on a VLX the impact is much more in the smaller cabin.

Also, dont get wrapped around the axles on getting Malivue. In many cases it's proven itself as much as a liability as an improvement.... Especially when you are out of warranty.

I couldn't live without the storage in the wrap around. I would keep searching for the boat that YOU want with very limited compromise. The right boat is out there and will one day show up.

Those are both great looking boats. I would ask yourself if this is a keeper boat or a starter boat for you. I would say the number of people looking to buy a malibu for crusing is really really small. The hull is simply not designed for it. If it works for you and you plan on keeping it for a long time go for it. Otherwise I think its a tough sell.

Hammerhead 383 engine. Standard engine in the 247. You could get the 8.1 as an upgrade. Wouldn't be surprised if boat number 1 had it.