Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reversible for 1200 gph one-way

commodore

Debating pros and cons of a johnson reversible 800 gph pump vs two 1200 gph one way pumps for my ballast system project. What did you go with and why?

Go woth the reversable Johnson or Jabsco pumps. They drain the sacks better, are easier to plumb in, self priming, need no vented loops and do the job of two aerator pumps. Having had both types of systems, I will only go with the Johnson/jabsco impeller style pumps in my systems from now on.

They can aslo drain and fill through the same through hull.

• Like 1

I did the Johnson. For all the reasons above. They also result in a cleaner and more professional looking install. And depending on the deals you get on the pumps, they can be equal or even less money than an aerator setup due to all of the other stuff you don't need to buy.

Also, don't buy into all of that GPH rating stuff...you'll be amazed at how fast the reversible pumps flow water and will start to question that 1200GPH rating on those aerator pumps in a real world application.

• Like 1

Great decision! You won't regret it. The Johnson's are great pumps. I added three last year to replace my aerators. It was a night and day difference. A real big factor is simply the room it takes for two pumps versus one. I have one of my pumps located seven feet from the thru hull and it pulls the water great. You could never do that with anb aerator. -Marc

PS. Bobby, did you ever get a new surf stick? I was wondering what you settled on.

PS. Bobby, did you ever get a new surf stick? I was wondering what you settled on.

Nope, I havent. have a few on my list to demo, Was hoping I would have had a chance to demo some by this point. The weather got half way decent a few weeks ago, but has since returned to the dumpster.

martinarcher

Yep, I've build both kinds now. I thought my aerator system was awesome.....until I installed a Johnson in the new boat. It really does make the install that much cleaner and the best part, it will turn your bags into pancakes for storage when you drain them. :thumbup:

do you guys recommend a screen for the thru-hull intake?

I don't use one and have had zero problems. I use my boat exclusively on my private lake so that might make a difference...but it's not like my water is pristine. I have various reeds, small twigs and other random stuff in the lake. So far they have not been a factor. The upside with the Johnson's is they have an impeller much like the cooling system. Thus, the worst case is you have to replace an impeller. -Marc