Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any reason not to use this interior LED strip lighting?

Nitrousbird

http://www.amazon.com/Hitlights-Waterproof-Flexible-Ribbon-3528SMD/dp/B006IWQMHO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=21KJMIORSN8SB&coliid=I16KWIS5JUGYBY

One of my projects is to replace the interior lighting with LED's. Just going to remove the lighting and install strips and utilize the factory wiring. Any reason to not use these lights? At $18 for 16', I'm sure 2 rolls will do all the lighting I could possibly want. Any good reason to not use them? I realize I'll need to cut strips to my length needs and will have to solder and heat shrink on my power connections but that's not a big deal.

I see similar strip lighting sold for $99+ for the same length like the following:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-strips-and-bars/wfls-x-series-weatherproof-high-power-led-flexible-light-strip/999/

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17365&cat=265&page=1

What's the real difference? $18 shipped to my door in 2 days seems a LOT better than paying $100 or more. These lights will likely never see any contact with water.

Why not pull the bulbs and call Superbrightleds and match them up to the equivalent LED? Might be a little more money but alot less work (this coming from a guy who built 2 swim platforms :whistle: )

Edited by Ndawg12

Don't see any reason you can't use them. There rate for 12 volts. LEDs take very little current to so you have no concerns to worry about with power issues. Thats a good price.

I've done a full LED install on an Axis A22 using LED strips that I bought off of ebay. It was super easy. I will say, the brighest LED's are the clear encapsulated strips. I just picked up some one ebay this morning to add to my LSV when it comes it. I'm just going to use double sided tape to attach strips under the dash, above the cupholders in the cabin, above the cupholders in the bow, and above the areas where speakers are in the walk though.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7?euid=bd2b3482cd1a4dc4913b924515793c80&loc=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D160818918608%26ssPageName%3DADME:L:OC:US:3160

They are not very durable and IMO, not suited for installs where the strips will be exposed, like when run around the edge of the floor or under the lip of the seats. I would suggest looking for something thats more rigid or something in a housing.

I've done a full LED install on an Axis A22 using LED strips that I bought off of ebay. It was super easy. I will say, the brighest LED's are the clear encapsulated strips. I just picked up some one ebay this morning to add to my LSV when it comes it. I'm just going to use double sided tape to attach strips under the dash, above the cupholders in the cabin, above the cupholders in the bow, and above the areas where speakers are in the walk though.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7?euid=bd2b3482cd1a4dc4913b924515793c80&loc=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D160818918608%26ssPageName%3DADME:L:OC:US:3160

Really stupid question here but can these be used for underwater transom lighting?

I use something similiar, just in RGB. MIne's worked awesome for 2 years. At nite, they are superbrite. I'd get RGB's with the 44 button remote, so you can dial in any color or red only if you like.

Super easy to install and cheap to say the least. In fact, for the money the best bling investment in my boat. I dial in preset colors for date nite on the boat, love songs on the Ipod...chicks dig it !

Steve B.

martinarcher

All LEDs a not created equal. There are many differences including the density (distance between diodes), the output of the diodes themselves, as well as how well the strip is encased and what material is used to encase it. The LED strips I used were from my buddies company usLEDsupply. I used the silicone encase strips. They are fully encased in silicone. The LEDs you linked to are only coated on the front. The problem with that is the strip can peel away and become exposed on the back and cause the strip's copy and components to be exposed to moisture and lead to failures. The fully encased strips can be completely submersed in water (IP67 or IP68 rating). I used them on my trailer guide poles which have been underwater at the ramp as well as on the road in heavy rain. The boat and trailer LEDs were installed 3 years ago and they still work great.

Another thing to consider is a solid color or full RGB strip. RGB allows you to make the color of the strip anything you can dream up with the touch of a button, but they do cost a bit more. The solid color strips are less expensive, but limit you to a single color.

The higher output strips are also a bit more, but IMO are worth every dime. The difference in output is unreal, but most won;t know the difference if they have only seen one flavor.

You can see pics of my install in my Boat House for the Sunsetter

I will not be using these in any place where anything will come in contact with them (floor, under steats, etc.). Basically just in the storage nook areas, like in the bow and above the cup holders.

Brightness is semi-important. RGB is neat but I can't utilize the existing wiring with that. Though not a big deal (since I've already ran all new speaker and power wiring throughout the boat this past week) but not sure if its worth further effort (running wires and double the soldering) and wire cost...I know all red would be fine by me. I'll run it by the wife and make her decide. :)

I will not be using these in any place where anything will come in contact with them (floor, under steats, etc.). Basically just in the storage nook areas, like in the bow and above the cup holders.

Brightness is semi-important. RGB is neat but I can't utilize the existing wiring with that. Though not a big deal (since I've already ran all new speaker and power wiring throughout the boat this past week) but not sure if its worth further effort (running wires and double the soldering) and wire cost...I know all red would be fine by me. I'll run it by the wife and make her decide. :)

I have had LEDS in my last three boats. The last two were the strips like you are looking at. I have them in the front and rear vents, under the helm, around the speakers, in the passenger storage compartments, above the cupholders and in the walk through and the bow side pockets. They look really cool at night! About the only thing I would like to change would be to make the ones in the exterior vents on a separate switch. We got hassled last year for them. I would love to also add the RGB function, but the last install was just paralelled of of the existing interior lights.

I have some pictures if you want.

I have both the stock lighting & a 2nd circuit of LEDs in the interior & the transom. There are occasions when you want one or the other. The blue LEDs are fun & cool looking, but if your trying to find something, or work on something, I need more light than they put out. I am thinking about replacing all the incandescent lights with LEDs, but that stock circuit will be white light for just this reason.

Thinking about doing white or yellow strips in our boat above the cupholders and white strips in the compartments with the stock wiring. Any reccomendations on good white or yellow led strips for this?

I used LED Slim Strips from StreetGlow.com. ~18" is enough for most locations and too much for some. I attached them with some very strong flexible double sided tape I picked up at Staples. I replaced the factory LED lights with colored Livewell LED lights I picked up online. Simple R&R for the factory lights. I used the factory wiring for all of it. They dimm with the factory light switch. Not a very expensive Mod or very difficult. I've got the LED's on mu tower speakers but I don't think I'll do that again. They are VERY bright.

Nitrous- I love this thread, Ive been on the heels of this same approach for the last 2 yrs on and off, just never pulled the trigger on it. Latest was the 18" ones Ronnie described.

As far as the underwater lights, I did do that and I believe the cost per lumen has been yet to be beat anywhere. $175 for 1200lumens in a couple different colors. I can share pics of that if anyone is interested.

Nitrous- I love this thread, Ive been on the heels of this same approach for the last 2 yrs on and off, just never pulled the trigger on it. Latest was the 18" ones Ronnie described.

As far as the underwater lights, I did do that and I believe the cost per lumen has been yet to be beat anywhere. $175 for 1200lumens in a couple different colors. I can share pics of that if anyone is interested.

Definetely interested about the transom lights. Pics please. Also where did you get them?

Nitrousbird,

Did you ever order those strips from Amazon??? Was thinking about doing the same thing.....

http://www.amazon.com/Hitlights-Waterproof-Flexible-Ribbon-3528SMD/dp/B006IWQMHO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=21KJMIORSN8SB&coliid=I16KWIS5JUGYBY

One of my projects is to replace the interior lighting with LED's. Just going to remove the lighting and install strips and utilize the factory wiring. Any reason to not use these lights? At $18 for 16', I'm sure 2 rolls will do all the lighting I could possibly want. Any good reason to not use them? I realize I'll need to cut strips to my length needs and will have to solder and heat shrink on my power connections but that's not a big deal.

I see similar strip lighting sold for $99+ for the same length like the following:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-strips-and-bars/wfls-x-series-weatherproof-high-power-led-flexible-light-strip/999/

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17365&cat=265&page=1

What's the real difference? $18 shipped to my door in 2 days seems a LOT better than paying $100 or more. These lights will likely never see any contact with water.

I used a kit from xkglow. I was just looking on their site and will be upgrading to this. Just have to change out the controller. It is all plug and play, super bright and super easy. No soldering, came with controller and remote, think it was all $120. Now going after the wifi controller for iphone

Edited by wakebrdr94

Nitrousbird,

Did you ever order those strips from Amazon??? Was thinking about doing the same thing.....

Not yet. I might end up doing RGB after all. It doesn't cost that much more and the wife seemed to like it. I've already ran a zillion wires through this boat, what's a couple more? I'm also researching RGB controllers; I've got an e-mail out to Superbright LED's for some questions about their App enabled controller.

I used a kit from xkglow. I was just looking on their site and will be upgrading to this. Just have to change out the controller. It is all plug and play, super bright and super easy. No soldering, came with controller and remote, think it was all $120. Now going after the wifi controller for iphone

I like it, but I think it might be a bit limiting. I think the App is good from their demo videos. Looks like everything is pretty good quality. My issues:

- Cost. 20pc kit is $240, 30pc is $300. More than I'd spend on the alternative, even if I went with high-end RGB strip lights.

- The wiring options aren't as flexible. You get a little strip then have wires on each end with plugs. You can't get a really long strip of lights. Though perfect for parts of the boat, it isn't perfect for others.

- Not sure if there is an upgrade path for other things later. I might want to do LED speaker rings around my rear speakers later. Or cup holder lights. Or do underwater transom RGB lights controlled by the controller.

Here's how I was testing my music controller...since I'm going to put led speaker rings on my boat...

Also led can be bought from Ebay for cheaper price...

Note: If you want to submerge it then look for IP68 LED Strip lights... Those are the BEST for submerging..

Edited by sgoyal

Use the 5050 led strip not the 3528. The 5050 is brighter. If you get a controller you can always dim them to what you want if you use 5050.

Im gonna see how this does when it warms up a lil more...

544314_557089084325011_1458941770_n.jpg

The platform will be supplemented by these shadow casters.....

601629_554733234560596_1301452717_n.jpg

The above pic shows the Shadow Casters and the strip led under the platform turned on....

Edited by jwmustangin

Here is the boat with only 8 strips. One strip under each side of the bow, one under the dash, one in the battery compartment, and two strips on each side of the main cabin cup holders. I've since added two more to hit the floor and light everything (not shown in the video). But it gives you an idea of what just 8 strips can do. I don't know what I would do with 20. I kept the tower speaker LEDs on a separate controller in case cops hassled us, I just turn them off