Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice

Helmuzerber

I am buying a new boat, replacing my 2000 VLX. I put a deposit holding one for me, but still deciding between a VTX and a VLX - either choice I would get with a diamond hull because my kids love to ski. I would also get surfgate on both.

Would the VTX wake be that much better than a VLX ? I thought the dash of the VLX was nicer - having the two analog gages alongside the digital, and the steering wheel is nicer. In addition, the extra room is a plus.

But, it does cost slightly more, and the most important is the performance.

Any guidance or info is much appreciated.

Thank you.

How big is your crew? I think the extra 1.5' long and 2" beam would add 2 comfortably to your crew size over the VTX. IMO, 6 adults is comfortable but getting tight on the VTX and 8 is the same on a VLX. JMO

I learned, after I bought my boat :mad: that you should figure out what you think will work for you and go a size bigger.

However, when you say performance is the most important factor, what do you mean? They VTX on the diamond hull is arguably the best crossover multi-sport boat and the best v-drive slalom wake. The VLX on a diamond hull might be decent as well but I can only imagine the size of the boat will determine the winner there. If you mean performance of the engine, obviously the smaller boat would win, engine being equal, but if you're not concerned about 45mph+ then a prop can make up for that difference.

And most importantly... post pics when you get her :thumbup:

Edited by Ndawg12

My crew varies.....we have friends that come over and lots of kids.....now my son can drive the boat, so he'll be going with friends. It varies, but the extra space is a big plus to me if the performance is the same. We want to take up surfing, so we would add the surf feature to the VLX.

Just not sure.....

VLX sounds like a winner. The cabin space in the VLX feels much larger than the VTX. Spent alot of time in both. As you start surfing you will find it will start to take precedence over the skiing and other sports. With the extra kids and interest in surfing , go with the VLX. Hands down the easiest of all boats to resale should you decide it wont work later.

• Like 2

I had a 2011 vlx, ordered a 2013 vlx. I ordered wake hull on both boats and towed slalom skiers at 32+ mph and ski wake is do able. Would be even better with the diamond hull. I fill the front bow ballast to help level the boat and counter the engine weight, this set up seemed to produce the best slalom wake.

Our crew is usually 6-10 peeps and the vlx never leaves anyone at the dock. I have had 12 on the boat, although crowded it was not horrible.

I have heard the vtx ski wake is the best, but I think the vlx surf and wakeboard wake will be better than the vtx.

The monsoon 350 in the vlx with the 1235 prop seems to be plenty of power. I sat in the vtx and it seems VERY small to me, the vlx seems to be a nice size boat for 6-10 people.

Edited by Fman

Coming out of a VLX the downsize may be a bit harder to deal with than you think. Also are your kids skiing the course or free skiing? That will make a differance on how good of a wake is needed for the skiers. I have also noticed that as my kids got older they take up more space. There is a differance between a crew of 6 with 4 kids and a crew of 6 with 4 teens.

If you're coming out of a 2000 VLX the VTX will feel the same size to you. A VTX is wider than your old boat AND space is maximized in better ways than an older VLX. Yes I've owned both. New VLX yes does feel bigger, but really not all that much to me.

As for skiing, my best friend has a diamond VLX and I have a diamond VTX. While neither will be confused with a response, there is definitely a difference in ski wake...definitely. Not to mention driving a VLX using the rear pylon is a challenge with tracking. VTX uses a center pylon which allows it to track better. As for surfing, you can surf a VTX with bone stock ballast just fine. The smaller the boat the "easier" it is to have a surfable wake, yet you're just limited to how much more weight you can put in. I have no complaints about the surf wake of my VTX especially in light of all the other things it does well.

I think the answer is if you feel your current boat has enough interior room. If so, VTX. If you wish it was a bit bigger, go VLX. Only other reason to go VTX would be if you really need a great slalom wake, otherwise the diamond VLX should do well enough.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the input.... I think I m going with the VLX. It has more room, but the dash and interior is far nicer than the VTX. As for the ski wake, while my kids are really good skiers, they aren't at a level where it would make a huge difference. In any case, the new VLX with the diamond hull should be better than my 2000 sunset tear VLX.

I know that the VTX does have some things that are better, but the room and Interior refinement outweighed it for me.

Thanks for all of the input.

Good call on the VLX. I had a 2011 VTX on the diamond hull and currently have a 2012 on the wake. While the ski wake is not as good, the wake and surf wave + extra room more than make up for it.

Thanks for all of the input.... I think I m going with the VLX. It has more room, but the dash and interior is far nicer than the VTX. As for the ski wake, while my kids are really good skiers, they aren't at a level where it would make a huge difference. In any case, the new VLX with the diamond hull should be better than my 2000 sunset tear VLX.

I know that the VTX does have some things that are better, but the room and Interior refinement outweighed it for me.

Thanks for all of the input.

Great Choice....

So I picked the VLX, going through the options and colors. I have been looking at pics of other people's boats online that have a variety of bright bold colors.....some with lots of red, black, blue, etc....

I know it looks good, but isn't this a ton of work - water spots, fading, etc....? For this reason, I was going pretty simple - mostly white with the sides in the metallic silver, some black striping.

I'm not into constant care. Thoughts ?

I've owned 9 different boats. What I've come to learn is that no matter what color you get you are going to need to maintain the boat the same way. White is the easiest color to repair, but it will stain the easiest if you ride in dirty water. Darker colors get hotter and show more scratches, but don't stain. Colors are harder to match for repairs. Metallic will be almost impossible to repair and make it look perfect. This is due to how metallic gels are sprayed at the factory. It's a different process than just spraying pigmented gel.

I won't speak for those who own black, but keeping your gel coat looking good really isn't all that much work. I put a coat of Star-brite Marine Polish on twice

a year (takes maybe 45 minutes), I spritz on some Babe's Boat Bright after every couple of outings (takes maybe ten minutes), and I wipe my boat down with

an Absorber chamois after every use (takes maybe five minutes). I have a mostly blue boat with white accents and bottom. Still looks great after after seven

seasons [and my boat lives on a lift at a marina year round].

Get whatever colors you like.