Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX 2007-2008

Newsurfer

Im in the market for a VTX, I have found a couple one is a 2008 72 hours with 320 monsoon, the other is a 07 with the 400 Hammer and 380 hours. If used for primarily for skiing and surfing, does on motor configuration work better. Does the 320 have enough power and or is the 400 too heavy and a fuel pig.

Thanks in advance .. Dave.

With the 320 and either the OJ Fusion prop, or the Acme 1235 you will have no issues. It will do everthing you want it to. The Hammerhead is definetly overkill for that little boat and not necessary, nice to have, but not needed. I like the lower hours on the newer boat myself.

Our VTX has the 320 and we regularly surf with 2300 lbs of ballast plus 4-6 people without issue and no special prop. Same ballast with 10 people and we were still surfing but at ~11 mph, but you would never plane with such a list ( It will plane under the same circumstances but level for wakeboarding). All of these with wedge down.

I wouldn't worry about the LCR. As for the Hammerhead, I have no experience but logic tells me it will just do it all easier, maybe at the cost of fuel.

I've got an 07 with the LCR and it's been great. I would love a Hammerhead, but they're tough to find and drink gas. That being said I was in the same boat as you and went with the LCR w/ low hours. If you're concerned about power for surfing just switch the prop and you're good. Remember it's still a fair amount of motor on a 20' boat.

I would also go with the lower hour VTX with the 320. I think you will be fine wakeboarding and surfing with this boat. I have the 340 monsoon and I have more than enough power to do both. Gl to you. Love my VTX!