Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

maliview cracking... Anyone seen this- Warranty issue?

Texoma LSV

Got my boat out of storage and as you can see there are micro fractures on my Maliview. It's a 2011 so still under warranty. I'm not at all pleased and can't see this as normal wear and tear. Am I wrong?

Has anyone had their Maliview replaced? I'm afraid if I do get it replaced (which will be a battle I'm sure) I'll have issues. It always seems nothing done after factory is ever "as good as new" (that goes for everything).

Advise would be helpful.

Thanks

post-16960-0-39257400-1363666401_thumb.j

post-16960-0-99472600-1363666411_thumb.j

Man, I'd be pissed! Sorry I can't offer any advice, as Maliview is one of the things I haven't had problems with.

Good luck with the dealer & keep us posted.

The sooner you realize that being pissed will solve nothing the sooner you will realize it's not that big of an issue (if it's covered under warranty) and can be fixed. I went through, and going through, a gel coat issue on my new 2012. I was "pissed" as first, but the dealer is taking care of the issue and there's really nothing else I can do anyway. Now if the fix doesn't work, revisit with your dealer and take it from there. I really don't see replacing the Maliview with another one not being "as good as new". Now a gel coat repair, or structural fiberglass issue is another story.

basically, don't sweat the small stuff. Keep us posted.

• Like 3

How is the climate where you live? Could that be caused by cold weather?

I would think a maliview swap out would be simple. I am sure your dealer could easily do it. Pretty much plug and play (pray)...

Good luck, hope it works out. Keep us posted...

from my experience, Malibu has been really good at replacing things under warranty. I don't think it will be an issue, just work it through your dealer. Should be an easy replacement.

Did you clean it using glass cleaner that contains ammonia? I cleaned the inside of my headlight lenses once and the ammonia caused a similar result.

I had mine replaced because the touch screen was not functioning properly and the computer was crashing. Was relatively uneventful swap out.

martinarcher

Bummer man. I'm betting a cleaner is to blame. Never clean plastics with any chemical cleaners. We went through that at work. We made a handheld product out of injection molded plastic. We had trouble with units coming back under warranty with cracked housings. It ended up every unit that experience cracking was cleaned with a certain chemical(can't remember the chemical name), but the hardware guys at work had a lot of time wrapped up in the investigation. Seems the suspect chemical is found in most cleaning products and the customers thought they were doing the units good by keeping it clean and it the end they ended up cracking the plastic. :Doh:

Regardless, I'm sure it will get taken care of.

I swapped out my medallion box myself because the screen did something similar to the OP's. Took the old one out, took it to my dealer and they handed me a replacement after a quick phone call to malibu. I don't think the process will be painful if your dealer is easy to work with.

I bet moisture has something to do with it, not cleaners. Moisture-->then it freezing over winter layup. Mine held moisture behind the screen there a few times... other folks on here have reported the same. There is 2 layers there-- the outer one you can touch and another directly behind.

I never had an issue with it..during the summer. You'd see some condensation behind the hard glass there sometimes... Then it'd dry out without issue. If it got moist in there and it held about the time it froze... That front surface is gonna expand to the amount the ice crystals force it. It's about what that looks like.

I am looking at these pics on my IPhone, so they're hard to see, but it looks like the majority of the cracks are on the bottom portion? Or is it evenly throughout the screen?

If so, that's further evidence it's moisture... The water droplets and condensation always concentrated along the bottom of the screen. Right at the bottom edge? I assume gravity kept them low or that the entrance for the moisture was from below the screen.

Gonna have to agree with Ryan on this one. Looks like there is some sort of seperation/intrusion between/under the top screen. I would think that chemical degredation would show up over the entire screen and have swirl or swipe marks as well. I don't use chemicals to clean mine so I can't comment on the cleaners as a culprit, I won't let Ban de Soleil lotion on my boat though. That stuff eats lawn chairs something crazy! Replacing the screen is an easy 4 nut, 5 screw and 5 plug-in process and the hardest part was getting the screen/bezel into the top dash cover. I had to replace my dash cover from when the dealer dropped the tower on it (demo boat). Good luck, let us know what you find.

• 3 months later...

Folks. Just wanted to report that warranty covered this issue no problems. Water Ski America has always been true to their word. I'm pretty sure it was condensation as Ryan suggested. I don't remember using windex on the dash. only micro cloth. Everything works really well.

I have used windex to clean my maliview and mtc, apparently this is a bad idea? What cleaner is approved for cleaning the maliview?

Nothing with amonia on anything plastic, lexan or plexiglas. Ammonia burns and etches it. Will cause it to fog or eat away it it. We see it in navigation screens and speedo clusters at my work. There's lots of cleaners that don't have ammonia but a damp microfiber cloth is the way to go.