Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder Shutter

On hole shot when wheel is turned I have some vibration in steering. On my other Malibu, the rudder housing just needed grease added but on this boat the rudder housing is an after market and doesn't have a place to add grease. At high speed under light load the boat will float right to left to right indicating play in the steering/rudder. How do I repair/remedy before the start of boating season? Thanks for the help guys. The crew rocks.

Check the rudder shaft bushings first. If they are ok, look at the coupler( tiller arm )that attaches the rudder to the steering cable. If its tight and not loose on the rudder shaft then look for play in the cable or at the steering rack. Look at both attaching points good. Also, make sure the adjustable tab on the rudder is tight and not free to make around.

I have also seen the shudder on takeoff caused by the prop. Bent or out of balance.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Glenn, the hole shot problem sounds like cavitation. I'm not sure just a guess but every boat has a different personality. The L/R/L wandering sounds like the trim in the rudder adjustment tab might be too neutral. IME all of my boats have had a tendency/deisre to steer either left or right depending on prop rotation. If your trim tab adjustment on the rudder was too neutral or exactly centered you might feel a loosy goosey steering wheel on plane and the boat would feel like it is wandering. The rudder trim tab on my '10 has about an 1/8 " adjustment to starboard IIRC. Go easy, it doesn't take a lot of adjusting to load it. No grease fitting on my '10 either. Good luck, Bill.