Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1 set of Rev 10s vs 2 pairs of ICON 8s

wdr

Looking for some first hand experience from people with the Rev-10s and ICON 8s. I'm going to upgrade my 4 RF tower speakers to either a single pair of Rev-10s or 2 sets of ICON 8s with a SYN amp. I am only trying to gain better around the boat and surf range quality so on the face of it the 8s seem to be the way to go. However I would like to cut down on the speaker to tower ratio if I can. I realize that the 10s are HLCDs and are more distance oriented and I really like the idea of the mid bass and tweeter centric design of the 8s which I am leaning towards. Will there really be that much difference between the two when it comes to the sound quality at surf range. A set of Rev-10s look to be about the same cost as the 2 sets of 8, but once again I am looking to loose some speaker clutter if I can. Thanks for the input. Bill

Hey Bill,

The Rev 10's are a little more refined that your standard HLCD out on the market. I used to own 4 Pro 80's - did that once and won't do it again. We use the Rev10's for surfing and lounging behind the boat and have no complaints whatsoever and if we want to entertain a large group at the tie up spot - the Rev 10's certainly take care of that as well.

The Icon 8 is a great speaker but an 8" will not play the lower frequencies as well as a 10" I also think that the look of one set of Rev 10's mounted tight up on the tower is a very clean and classy look.

If it were my dollar - one set of Rev10's and a good amp to power them cross'd over at around 85hz to 90hz and you will be a happy man.

Thanks guys, all of your comments were exactly online with what I have been thinking. Murphy I was concerned that some of the HLCDs could be rather shrill and not have the mid-bass response that the 8s do. For the way we listen to music the 8s would be great, but I have heard everyone raving about the 10s so I thought I should ask. I also really like the single speaker look and the lesser amount of weight involved on the tower. I was looking at the AA amps for the very reason you Ryan/Travis suggested but I am not dead set on just that line. There are other options out there I just have to do my home work and find an amp that will match the capabilities of the speakers. Once again thanks will shoot some pic when I close the deal.

I had the same dilemma and went with the rev10's. I am happy with them and like the look of a simple non-cluttered single pair on my tower. I still bang my head on them from time to time. They are HUGE!! If you ever get out to the Knoxville area I can give you a demo.

Isn't a ClassD amp a higher Signal to Noise? Why are you all not looking at Class A/B amps? Do the Rev10's need help providing the high frequency end of the spectrum?

I think if huge volume is not your goal, that you can even cross over the REV10's a bit lower than 80 hz. I have done that while setting them up, and was very surprised at how much bass that they can create. This occurs at expense of the long range punch, but it can be done. I would be cautious to not overdrive them that way, but if you were only surfing, that might be pretty sweet. I wouldn't try and crank them that way, so this should be done with caution, but the near field characteristics of the REV 10's are amazing.

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 2

Isn't a ClassD amp a higher Signal to Noise? Why are you all not looking at Class A/B amps? Do the Rev10's need help providing the high frequency end of the spectrum?

no noticeable noise increase with the D's. Just way more efficient, waste less energy... and they don't get as hot. when you run you gear hard in 100+ deg heat AB's often cut out on you at some point in thermal protection. here it routinely gets 110+ ... and down in closed compartments likely 120-140.

Consider this. A typical Class D will consume 125 watts of supply to deliver 100 watts output. That's 25 watts of heat. A typical Class AB will consume 200 watts of supply to deliver 100 watts output. That's 100 watts of heat. So to produce the same 100 watts of output, the Class AB generates four times the heat of the Class D.

Noise difference? Generally speaking there is none. Both topologies will have similar power supplies and identical audio input & processing sections. The only big difference is in the audio output section.

An analog switching amplifier (Class D) may switch at more than 20 times the audio bandwidth and that has long been filtered out.

There are good and bad versions of both just like with anything else.

David