Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OK Stereo Guys...... I need (a lot of) advice

-BS-

Ok, I need, errrrrr, want a new stereo set-up and I need some help.

Let me start by saying; I am stereo & speaker illiterate..........so speak slowly in your responses. :lol:

Here's my deal, I have an 09 Vride with:

-The original Black Box & remote (located in the walk thru)

-2 stock tower speakers

-4 stock interior speakers

-2 amps (one powering tower speakers, one for interior speakers). I want to say one is a 300 and the other is a 200.

Here is what I'm looking for.

-Black Box GONE!

-A regular head unit: Where are you guys putting these? Glovebox? What unit would you recommend?

-A remote control: Located/facing the driver. My last Bu had one 'under' the dash near the driver's knee. I loved it. It was about a 3" round Sony remote with simple volume & tuning features. Is this model still a good way to go? Any suggestions?

-Tower speakers: I feel like my current ones under perform but I want to stay with only 2. I really like the Exile stuff & have heard great things about it. You guys concur? Worth the $?

-Interior speakers: I want to add 2 in the bow. Should I replace the 4 RF speakers that came with the boat too? Is it worth the money to do so? Can I upgrade these but still stick with the factory boxes they're mounted in? Costs for decent interior speakers?

-Amps: I don't know if I need to replace both amps. Assuming I do have a 200 & 300, could I power the interior with the 300 and get a nice new one for the tower?

Ideally, I'd like to do part of this now and the other half next season. My thought was to just do the stereo, remote and interior speakers now, then save up the cash for the Exile tower speakers and amp. Are there advantages to doing it all at once?

Last question: Anyone have a recommendation of a shop in PDX that can do this stuff? I get super sketched out with most stereo shops (partly because I know jack about this stuff and I feel like I get led around by the nose, partly because I've had 2 stereos installed in vehicles and had them stolen within days of the install)

THANKS in advance for any advice! I know there's a lot to sift through here......

Ready, set, spend my money........ :thumbup:

My advise. Heads its are quickly becoming outdated. I would not have one in a boat unless you want to listen to the radio a lot..

Go with and EQ with Bluetooth capability, or aux in from your mobile device of choice, nothing beats the interface that the phones/ iPods have built in. With Bluetooth, the remote is your device, works around the whole boat and even off of it. You can turn volume up and down and change tracks,playlists, whatnot. I am not a fan of multiple remotes around the boat that others have access to, I AM THE CAPTAIN.

The exile stuff is quality, they offer great service and are local to us PNW guys. PM Brian on here or call him if you wanna get into details . He will be able to set you up with what will work, in stages if needed. PM me I have his number if you want it.

I think the factory Fosgate speakers actually sound good with a little more power and the red tape off the factory amps. I think you would be wise to do it stages.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Another thing, there are not a lot of shops around here that I would trust with my boat either. The few that I would are very pricey for installs.

Kingpin in Wilsonville is very good, but comes with the NBA baller price tag. Stereo King on 82nd in Clackamas does a lot of boats, but what you get depends on who does your install. I have seen some killer stuff from them and some stuff that make you puke alike.

It's really something that I feel if you want it done right do it yourself. That's my modo. I once paid for an install, and not a cheap one at that. Lets just say they lost all the profit they made on the giant spider crack in the side of the hull that had to be fixed about a month later.

When I say EQ, I mean like the Exile ZLD, or the Wetsounds 420. That would easily mount right under the dash to give you volume level for your two zones and sub level. The ZLD also has a master volume knob on it. I hear rumors that the ZLD will be coming out soon with built in Bluetooth interface. Both are small and mounting them is a snap. You could then ditch your black box, or leave it in and run it to one of the auxiliary inputs on the EQ so it could be used if wanted at a later point, or by the next owner. The EQ, either I listed will have you covered for your aux inputs. I personally would rather use the phone itself than any aftermarket head unit or interface. They all have issues that the phone itself does not. With Bluetooth, you will have no cables on the phone and can use it wherever you like.

Adding two more Fosgate drivers to to bow should be easy. I have seen the same speakers people are selling on here multiple times for very reasonable. For an amp to wake them up, look for a 4 channel that can deliver about 100 watts to each of them, like an 800x4 would be perfect.

Exile sells equipment. I do know that they are very helpful to the local guys and will walk you through almost any install. I know guys that have taken their boat's to the Exile shop and done the install there with guidance, but that is something you can ask Brian about. He is a really down to earth guy and is pretty understanding about people's expectations and wants.

A lot of the stuff you want to do is pretty basic and should be able to be done in a day or less . I may even be able to lend ya a hand if you have time to try and go it on your own.

Quick question about this thread. So when your using a EQ with no head unit, say you pair your iphone with bluetooth to it. But you want to play music off your ipod, the EQ will be able to let you run both devices at the same time? Also say your battery dies on your iphone, then your system is dead??

You can plug a charger into the bottom of your phone/iPod and still have streaming Bluetooth. Most of the units have two AUX inputs also,so you can have a 3.5 mm jack should you want to run from another source. Nobody I know listens to CDs or radio on a boat anymore. Having a 12v charger for your phone or iPod is just common place now. You can even buy a USB socket that just plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and charge with your original USB cable.

You can plug a charger into the bottom of your phone/iPod and still have streaming Bluetooth. Most of the units have two AUX inputs also,so you can have a 3.5 mm jack should you want to run from another source. Nobody I know listens to CDs or radio on a boat anymore. Having a 12v charger for your phone or iPod is just common place now. You can even buy a USB socket that just plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and charge with your original USB cable.

Seen one of these? Blue Sea 1016

1016.png

Edited by shawndoggy

-BS-

I was in the same situation last year with my 2008 LSV and the experts on here were a big help. I hated the BB and went with the Exile ZLD which exceeded my expectations. All we listen to is from somebody's phone and I hated reaching around the corner to turn down the volume when a rider fell. The ZLD gives me a quick no-look way to adjust the volume and the fader between the tower and in-boat speakers is wonderful.

I decided to replace the in-boat speakers and amp first and was blown away at the difference. I was not trying to blast a rider at 80 feet. The speaker sounded so good the CFO let me replace the tower speakers at the end of the year and I used the existing RF amp. If I find time this spring I'll probably upgrade that amp because I think the Exile Surf Speakers are under powered.

If I can figure this stuff out I'm sure you can.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Here is the only pic I have handy of the ZLD.

BCB

post-8661-0-15973600-1363715356_thumb.jp

On another note, if you are using an iphone or android, there are speed based volume controls that you download from the respective app stores also. This gives the ability fo the ability for the music to automatically decrease in volume as you slow to pick up a rider.

On another note, if you are using an iphone or android, there are speed based volume controls that you download from the respective app stores also. This gives the ability fo the ability for the music to automatically decrease in volume as you slow to pick up a rider.

Wow..... definitely getting one of these!!

Now that adaptunes is dead on iOS we could sure use something better than audiocruise though! This is a great opportunity for a programmer who is looking to cash in on the volume speed control wakeboarding market. I'm sure there are literally hundreds of dollars to be made! Maybe even low four figures!

Does audio cruise not work well?

I've found that you need to manually shut it down, or else it stays on in the background with the gps on. So if you are using audiocruise and bluetooth, and maybe streaming pandora over the air, you are going to be seeing pretty poor battery life. Should work fine plugged in.

It's also not really meant for slow speed resolution like we want for boats (0-25mph)... it is more geared towards cars at highway speed. So its reactions seem kinda slow and inconsistent sometimes.

**DISCLAIMER -- have only used it snowboarding, haven't tried it in the boat yet.

Fosgate speakers: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_selector.aspx?catid=60&parid=59

The boxes may be something you have to fabricate. Easy with some plywood and an air brad nailer. Little matching carpet or vinyl and your done. Very simple, fun project. I will say that the speakers in the bow don't add much to the system as far as people are concerned behind the window. Check out the ones Bill air drunky made, can't find the thread right now, but he made some nice ones.

Like I said before, if you need some help, I am local and will lend a hand if you need some.

I'm just happy your FINALLY upgrading :). I do spend half my boating hours on your boat. J/k

I'm happy to help of course. Ill be the old guy that can figure it out. As evidence im happy with the RF system in my titan. a car audio guy would have had that out in the first month of ownership. Bobby will be the guy that already knows what to do. Either way it'll get done.

Edited by Ruffdog

Great info here, thanks.

What cabin speakers did you have and what did you upgrade to?

Did you do the install yourself?

I had the factory RF speakers with RF amp and upgraded to the Exile SX-65 speakers with the XI800.4 amp that I caught ona winter sale from Bakes. If you decide to go with the RF speakers in the bow and the 2009 are the same as my 2008 I'll give you a pair for shipping cost.

I did the install myself it was pretty straight forward and I actually found some errors in the factory wiring. I just took my time and made lots of notes of the existing setup before I took it apart (that is the engineer in me). If you get the ZLD order the installation kit with the RCA cables and power conductors. Since you will be just replacing what is already there it will be pretty simple. Just hard on the back and knees.

There are enough experts on here to guide you through the install.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

I think the SX65m's are awesome speakers. Great mid bass response and solid sounding, but I don't think they are light years better than the factory Fosgates with good power to them. If you have the cash to blow, then yes the SX65's are a good upgrade, but you really won't see the most bang for your buck spent there. Save it for the tower upgrade at this point.

I don't know your budget for the system, but from what you previously asked, I just assumed you wanted to maybe do stages, or take a zone approach to the project. I think you would be surprised how well they will sound tuned correctly with good amplification.

Need a sub for sure. I hate to make your snowball bigger, but it's a must have. You maybe able to pull off something with one of the amps you have, but by any means we have to get some bottom in there!

Oh my! I have seen this happen many a time. I feel for you.

Set a budget and work within those parameters if you can......... AGHHHHHHH!

Your plan looks good though, maybe not the way to get the best best results soonest, but in the end it should work out fine. I personally would place the sub higher up the order.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Totally agree with Bobby on the sub. In fact if it were me that would be the top priority. All of your music will sound richer and more powerful. Right now your tunes have no "bottom" and you are talking about doubling or more the highs. More and better amplified cabin speakers and well amplified tower speakers will sound LOUD for sure, but without the foundation of a decent sub it won't sound good. Its not about needing to be heard for a half a mile away (and your tower speakers will take care of that anyway), it's about feeling the drum and bass lines in your music.

EDIT: I just remembered that you're a fan of Paul's Boutique. Lemme just say you really haven't even heard that album if you don't have a sub. A whole new experience, fo sho. And what can possibly be better than men of a certain age rockin' out with their high school beats?

Edited by shawndoggy