Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Window Tint? What is a reasonable price?

Parrothead

Got a quote for window tint for a VLX. $250 dollars for tint? Seemed high to me. Is this the right price or should I drag the boat to another shop. No sense wasting the gas if this is in the ballpark.

Thanks for the info.

That's a pretty good price, I actually got mine done for $200 but most times you get what you pay for. Ask if they're comfortable making that curve on the corners, they seamed and pinstriped mine, which I wasn't happy about. Ask where they plan to put pinstriping and make sure you're comfortable with it.

I been looking to have the same done on my new ride, but was blown away with the pricing I got. Two quotes at 500-600. . The damn newer windshields have no curve in them and they are 5 separate pieces. Looks pretty straight fwd to me. I had my VTX done for free. ( paid for film) a few years back because the guy wanted to try and get into the boat scene. Same guy wanted 600 this time around. I laughed to say the least. That's 2 days decent wage and I know it won't take that long.

Had a guy do our 5 series and only cost me 200 for the whole car. That's a hell a lotta a$$hole tax if you ask me,

If anybody has a reasonable, reputable guy near Portland , OR. PM me with some info.

I have had a price quoted of $150 if I remove the windshield. The price Parrothead got was for non seamed tint job. We are working together to try and get a better price since we will give the installer 2 exact jobs, his 08 and my 06 VLX. Same windshield.

Paid 300 for mine. One piece, left the windshields on the boat. I sat and watched them do it. Very reputable place that many people go to and it took them 5 hours to get it right. I want to say they went through three pieces of film just on one side. Price kinda sucked at the time but well worth it in my opinion.

Boat tinting is much more difficult and time consuming than a typical vehicle. There's also a higher likelihood of waste. If the windshield has a compound curve in the front corners, then it is murder to shrink the film in one piece so the film doesn't lift (fingers) at the bottom of the curve and come out later on. It's also difficult to trim the film at a right angle at the base where the dash mold rises. This is where you often see a fine gap which is preferrable to cutting the window gasket. Then it's rare that a boat can be done in a completely protected area so that the air born particles don't get on the film or glass after the film liner is released. So the shop can usually knock out three perfect automotive jobs with zero waste in the time that it takes to do a boat. There are also different grades of film. A boat is more like a convertible in that the interior of the film sees far more direct UV radiation than the typical shaded hardtop vehicle. Some film has very little UV inhibitors on the interior side to protect the adhesive. Depending on the hours a boat sees, a cheaper film may not be a good investment. It's like anything. If it's too cheap you have to wonder why.

David

My stereo installer is doing my 13 vlx for $300, 20% tint. The malibu windshield is actually easier than a one piece curved (supra uses this style). Any good tinter should not have any problems tinting the windows.

I'm working on tinting my 2013 MXZ right now. I don't mind paying someone to do it, but I did my jeep with great success a year ago and thought I would give this a try. The compound curves on all the windows make it take way longer than say the side windows of the car. You have to heat shrink every single window which isn't that hard to do, but is very time consuming. I think 2-300 on the older style windows with the continuous curve is a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...

cdoogles let me know if you find a place to do it .

Up to 5 shops now that have failed.

I'm starting to wonder if it can't be done.

My stereo installer is doing my 13 vlx for $300, 20% tint. The malibu windshield is actually easier than a one piece curved (supra uses this style). Any good tinter should not have any problems tinting the windows.

Ya two completely different tinting processes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Strike 1 and 2 for me in Middle Tn. for tinting the 06 VLX windshield. Went to pick up my boat today and the guy said he just couldn't get it to lay down flat. Was afraid to use heat cause he didn't want to melt the rubber seals around it. I called another local shop that had a 2011 model this week and he said he couldn't do that one either.

Any one in middle TN. know of a shop that has successfully done these windshields?

It's difficult even for very experienced to do the curves with the windshield in place.

TELL THE INSTALLER to be careful trimming the tint ON the outside of the glass with their razors, they can inadvertently score and scratch the glass when they have done 1000s of autos without issues.

The glass on our boats is made differently than auto glass and WILL scratch even with the specialty tint razors made specifically for that.

I'm in Olympia Wa and have struck out with any place willing to take the tint job on (05 VLX). Very interested in any place from here to Seattle that anyone can testify for. $300 seems reasonable for quality work without having to take the glass out.

I live in olympia wa and have struck out on finding anyone to even touch my 05 VLX windshield. If anyone has someone anywhere between here and seattle please let me know. $300 seems reasonable with the windshield in place.

$100 bucks, OK my buddy does this for a living and he only charged me for material. He did my 1998VLX and did a great job. He did make a comment that if you use a high quality tint then jobs like these are not as difficult. He used a 3M titanium film, I am sure there is more info on this product that I am not aware of. Anyone in SW Missouri. Ultimate Auto Trim, Tony has been tinting windows for 25 years. "Shameless Plug"

Good Luck

CB