Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Batteries to Run?

Barefooternewbie

I recently purchased a pair of Wetsound Pro 80's and I'm been advised by my local audio shop who will be installing and they've said that I'll need to replace my existing 2 batteries with 2 Gel Optima batteries. Any guidance would be helpful?

Thanks,

this one is a beaten dead horse on here. There are a few applications where the gels make sense(inverted etc)...but in recent yrs its been proven they are not better cost/performance wise than the regular ones, sometime less. Few would argue against Interstate SRM29s... are about the best bang for the buck cost/quality/performance. they are big and heavy. If money truly isn't a factor, look at the Stinger batteries.

Lots of good batteries out there and you'll get as many answers as there are batteries, but. Optimas aren't Gel according to Optima. They are pricy though.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/support/faqs/

What is a gel battery? Is OPTIMA® a gel battery?

A gel battery design is typically a modification of the standard lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. Many gel batteries also use one-way valves in place of open vents, which help the normal internal gasses to recombine back into water in the battery, reducing gassing. Generally, gel batteries are less tolerant of high heat and are charged at lower power than traditional or AGM batteries. An OPTIMA battery is neither a gel battery nor regular flooded battery. OPTIMA is a SPIRALCELLTECHNOLOGY AGM battery.

What does the OPTIMA® SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY® design do?

The OPTIMA® SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY® provides many features not available in ordinary batteries, such as:

• More plate surface, closer plate spacing and the use of high-purity lead. RESULTING IN: Low internal resistance. This low resistance gives you more power in a smaller box, the ability to recharge much faster, and higher and cleaner voltage characteristics during discharge
  • Immobilized plates under compression (locked in place). RESULTING IN: Improved vibration resistance, no shedding of active paste material, reduced gradual loss of power and capacity as the battery ages. This gives you a battery that lasts longer and performs better throughout its life

There is no doubt that a flooded battery provides more amp/hours per dollar investment if that is the only objective.

AGMs have numerous other and real advantages. And you can match any flooded amp/hour capacity with an AGM version. It's just going to cost much more.

Much of the amp/hour discrepancy comes from comparing a physically smaller and lighter common group 34 size to a larger group 24,27,31 or other. I know it makes no sense that the smallest group has the larger number when a larger group number usually denotes a larger and heavier battery. However, AGMs do come in a variety of sizes just like flooded bateries. And, there are many different AGM brands to choose from.

So look at the pros and cons of both thoroughly before making a decision.

David

this one is a beaten dead horse on here. There are a few applications where the gels make sense(inverted etc)...but in recent yrs its been proven they are not better cost/performance wise than the regular ones, sometime less. Few would argue against Interstate SRM29s... are about the best bang for the buck cost/quality/performance. they are big and heavy. If money truly isn't a factor, look at the Stinger batteries.

In less you are turning them sideways or upside down. SRM29s are the way to go. Also if you end up buying a charger look into that. Different chargers are made for different batteries or you will need to change out the pill on the side.

Sorry to thread hijack but would it be efficient to run 2 interstate SRM 29 for starting, and stereo bank? My current starting batter is about to go out and I would like to increase the amount of time I can run the stereo.

Sorry to thread hijack but would it be efficient to run 2 interstate SRM 29 for starting, and stereo bank? My current starting batter is about to go out and I would like to increase the amount of time I can run the stereo.

I have the SRM 29s 1 on my house and one on the crank with a relay. Running 2 big amps and 1 small amp. 1 amp is 750 RMS (R750-1D) 1 amp 1000 RMS (T100-4ad) 1 amp at 300 RMS (R400-4D) The key is a good onboard or off board charger. You just can't expect a alternator to do all the work over time it will kill your batteries and a good chance your alternator.