Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who's ACTUALLY driven a 2013 24 MXZ?...

darthwhitey

Since it's so new, I'm trying to get some real world reviews of Malibu's new 24 MXZ.

I've heard it really drives nice, (not like a barge) and handles well for a bigger boat. I'm having some trouble finding good reviews online apart from the standard "quickie" reviews.

Please post any feedback here if you've driven (or ridden in) one!

thanks!

I have one. Handles great. Never heard or thought of 3rd fin but also didn't get 3rd set of cleats... Not big deal IMO

Glad I did upgrade to ls3 as I like to go above and beyond stock quad ballast

• 2 weeks later...

Picked mine up several weeks ago. Still in the break- in period, but love it. Runs and handles like a dream. Got caught in some bigger than expected white caps last week and was surprised how well it handled the nasty waves. I did go with the three cleats and LS3 high altitude prop. This boat replaced my 08 247 LSV with the 383 hammerhead motor

i believe the 2nd fin was an option on previous years for the 247, now the extra fin is just a option for the axis i could be wrong though.. and yes i have drove a 24MXZ they are everything you would hope for, including the very very needed room.. ( and drop in cooler of course) WOOOHOOO :yahoo:

• 2 months later...

Just replaced my 2007 247 LSV this week with the 2013 24 MXZ and we love it!!! The boat handles incredibly well. My 247 had the 410 Hammerhead engine and this boat has the 450 LS3. The increase in responsiveness is appreciated and it handles just as well as my 247. Both are big boats and it just takes a little getting use to maneuvering them.

The one area that is a little tricky is loading it on a trailer. The wide front is deceptive when trying to center it as you approach the trailer. Not a big issue but it has taken a little getting use to it.

All in all, we love the boat, the performance, the handling, and the extra seating.

If you are considering one, go for it!! If you are anywhere near Louisiana, you are welcome to come drive mine if it will help in your decision.

I totally agree with everything above. I am new to a single v-drive and it certainly is taking some time to get used to! I also pilot a 65ft 18ft wide houseboat and she is much easier to maneuver than the single v-drive, but I am getting used to it. I am surprised by how high in the water the stern floats as the bow attitude is low, again js\ust taking some time to get used to.

We love cabin space and all of the storage that this boat design offers. The LS3 motor is a beast and I am still in the breakin period so I havnt really opened it up yet. The throttle is a bit sensitive but once you get used to that, its very sweet!!

The ride quality is very good I think due to the weight and overal length of the vessel,she is very stable and we are the Ohio river with alot of large boat traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you buy an MXZ yet?

ChrisM's comments are dead on. It is very stable. The bow rides low when loaded just like my 247LSV except the wide bow rides over the waves instead of dipping under. The throttle is fly-by-wire instead of a cable throttle and it is VERY sensitive; not a problem at all but just different than what I'm use to operating.

It is still a little weird loading a pickle-fork bow boat on a trailer when my entire boating career has been around standard V-bow boats.

All in all, it takes getting use too but we absolutely love it!!! No regrets at all!!

I just got back from a week of using the boat alot. I have some real issues that i will be sorting out with the dealer this week. The overall ride quality is good but she lists to the starboard side and is very uneasy for me while under way! I dont know if this is common for this boat or other stern drives??? The port storage area just under the arch mount retains gallons of water after a good rain, there is not a drain in this storage area and the factory cover doesnt help this. The day after there was still water dripping from the padding under the arch on that side. It throw a fuel flow error as an active code, that shut the boat down from full throttle back to ideal once and then kept sounding the alarm until the engine cleared it. On one occassion from dead start there was a violent shudder that continued at low rpms, as I was carefull not to increase for fear of damaging something. I got under the boat to find NO rope or debris around the prop or shaft and upon restart, this went away and did not occur again??????

A couple of times during surfing the speed control caused the engine to "chug" if that is the correct word to keep the 9.8mph (factory setting for surfing), this continued during the run until i dumped up the speed to 10.2 and then it leveled out. The surfgate screen kept "freaking" out and flashing both sides of the surf gate, kinda like a gremlin or ghost in the machine????

The port side chrome knob to tighten the tower keeps loosening up, no matter how hard i tighten it, I just cant seem to get it tight enough to stay. Dont know about that one?

We continue to find screws and bolts lying around the floor and searching for their whereabouts - this i cant figure out!!!!

The remote for the stereo on the transom got moisture in it and is already starting to rust at the bottom of the screen.

I really dont like the swim platform, it is 6 inches out of the water and hard for my kids to get up on it, we where with a master craft owner and his platform was right at the water level and VERY easy getting on and off the boat, is this so that the tanks can be filled and it will lower the platform to the water level????

Again, I am new to V-drives, and Malibus but all the other "V-drive" boats that we have been around have the platform right at the water level.

I really like the boat and know that these are bugs I have to work out - better yet the dealer will have to work out, but for this kind of money - is this normal??

Thanks alot for all the help and advise everyone - I do like the boat and of course ALL "3" drain plugs!! hahahahah

Chris

^^^ In my mind, these types of posts are foreshadowing something bad for Malibu. We see more and more of these posts everyday and I honestly think it's all going to catch up. Maybe there trying to do too much with too little resources. Maybe they just have pathetic quality control (not quality, quality control), but the more posts I read like this the more I resent one day having to shop for a new boat and possibly choosing another brand even though performance wise Malibu may be most suited for me (as I still feel the VTX is).

Maybe ChrisM is just a troll with a lemon of a Malibu, but if so, he's learned from many very clever new bu owners on this site. Malibu wake up. If I took friends/family out on my new boat or was out with friends/family on there new boat and it had these issues I'd be down-right embarrassed and so should you!

ChrisM, sorry you've been having trouble, hopefully they get sorted out.

I have 15 hours on my 24mxz. Besides the wakesurfing wake being flat I have had nothing but a great experience from it. The wakeboarding wake is exceptional.

While I'm frequently viewed as an apologist....I'll continue to be.... as these items raised are not "quality control" issues. A fuel flow warning, while an inconvenience, is not related to quality control. I also see user error issues. The factory cover, while not a frog's butt, hardly allows "gallons of water" when properly installed. Likewise, we all know that with the wedge down and different rudder positions can result in "shudder". And of course there is nothing to "rust" on the bottom of the fosgate remote. OP says he is new to vdrives and maybe there's some stuff to address, but I'm not seeing anything that was a QC concern. I do think his dealer should spend some time with him in his new boat showing what is and what is not normal. Citing that it "lists" to the starboard side and is "uneasy for me"? With all due respect Chris, I think you're just getting used to a normal boat of any kind. Unless you have your crew on one side or your tank full, your boat is not listing an incorrect amount.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I have 15 hours on my 24mxz. Besides the wakesurfing wake being flat I have had nothing but a great experience from it. The wakeboarding wake is exceptional.

Throw some weight at it for surfing, we've run 750's and people or some additional bags with a small crew.

Thank you all for the "helpful" suggestions! As for being a new boater - i currently have 5 boats of various sizes from a 65 x 20 houseboat to a 12 ft zodiac RIB, so my experience as a "boater" is pretty good over 25 years! As for owning a vessel of any kind that lists to one side - if that is normal count me out! As I have stated previously, I am trying to understand the quirks of this $100K + boat and why bolts and screws should be falling out and exactly where they come from??

I am researching slamming my 24 for a good surf wake and better wake board wake and meeting with the dealer tomorrow! Guess some day I will learn about boating and oh by the way, the transom remote will rust internally if water is introduced to the connections to the lcd screen and that is exactly where it is occuring.

Thanks for the help.

chris the OP

Thank you all for the "helpful" suggestions! As for being a new boater - i currently have 5 boats of various sizes from a 65 x 20 houseboat to a 12 ft zodiac RIB, so my experience as a "boater" is pretty good over 25 years! As for owning a vessel of any kind that lists to one side - if that is normal count me out! As I have stated previously, I am trying to understand the quirks of this $100K + boat and why bolts and screws should be falling out and exactly where they come from??

I am researching slamming my 24 for a good surf wake and better wake board wake and meeting with the dealer tomorrow! Guess some day I will learn about boating and oh by the way, the transom remote will rust internally if water is introduced to the connections to the lcd screen and that is exactly where it is occuring.

Thanks for the help.

chris the OP

None of what you griped about had anything to do with "boating" experience. They did have to do with a vdrive experience, however. Your boat is not listing on its own, if it is, you have it weighted on one side or the other. If you are getting "gallons" of water in your port storage area, while again, its not a frogs butt, you haven't put your cover on right. If your speed control is giving you an issue at 9.8 mph, which is about the maximum drag you can have on the boat, and that was cured by you advancing the throttle up to 10.2, you likley didn't have the throttle bar in the appropriate place. Your dealer showed you that, right? How malivue shows you a range of where the throttle needs to be to hold a particular speed? As for various hardware, most likely that is a result of dropped hardware during assembly that couldn't be reached and after using the boat they "shake out". Your dealer will explain it the same. As for the remote, in your first post you said it is "showing rust at the bottom of the screen", now you're saying the remote will rust "internally" if water gets to connections. Please take a picture. The only "real" mechanical issue you have described that does not appear user error to me is the fuel flow, warning but that should now be stored in inactive faults for the dealer to look at closer. Good luck.

I just got back from a week of using the boat alot. I have some real issues that i will be sorting out with the dealer this week. The overall ride quality is good but she lists to the starboard side and is very uneasy for me while under way! I dont know if this is common for this boat or other stern drives??? The port storage area just under the arch mount retains gallons of water after a good rain, there is not a drain in this storage area and the factory cover doesnt help this. The day after there was still water dripping from the padding under the arch on that side. It throw a fuel flow error as an active code, that shut the boat down from full throttle back to ideal once and then kept sounding the alarm until the engine cleared it. On one occassion from dead start there was a violent shudder that continued at low rpms, as I was carefull not to increase for fear of damaging something. I got under the boat to find NO rope or debris around the prop or shaft and upon restart, this went away and did not occur again??????

A couple of times during surfing the speed control caused the engine to "chug" if that is the correct word to keep the 9.8mph (factory setting for surfing), this continued during the run until i dumped up the speed to 10.2 and then it leveled out. The surfgate screen kept "freaking" out and flashing both sides of the surf gate, kinda like a gremlin or ghost in the machine????

The port side chrome knob to tighten the tower keeps loosening up, no matter how hard i tighten it, I just cant seem to get it tight enough to stay. Dont know about that one?

We continue to find screws and bolts lying around the floor and searching for their whereabouts - this i cant figure out!!!!

The remote for the stereo on the transom got moisture in it and is already starting to rust at the bottom of the screen.

I really dont like the swim platform, it is 6 inches out of the water and hard for my kids to get up on it, we where with a master craft owner and his platform was right at the water level and VERY easy getting on and off the boat, is this so that the tanks can be filled and it will lower the platform to the water level????

Again, I am new to V-drives, and Malibus but all the other "V-drive" boats that we have been around have the platform right at the water level.

I really like the boat and know that these are bugs I have to work out - better yet the dealer will have to work out, but for this kind of money - is this normal??

Thanks alot for all the help and advise everyone - I do like the boat and of course ALL "3" drain plugs!! hahahahah

Chris

In my opinion the ones in RED are Malibu's problem and although some of these should happen from time to time, you should not end up with this many on a single boat. The ones in blue are more than likely user areas. The speed control is probably a user area but it's still Malibu who chose to use one of the industries worst cruise controls, Also the platform is high because of surfgate. Yes it will level out when you ballast but really it's there so the gates aren't sticking up above the platform like my DIY gates.