Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine break-in

Festivus

so when the new boat gets here, what is the general concensus on breaking in the engine? It is the 8.1, don't know if that matters. I have heard different things about holding the throttle steady, varying RPM's for the first (?) hours, don't go above (?) RPM's for (?)hrs, etc. Glazing the rings? Any info is welcome, thanks in advance...

Drive it like you stole it! Crazy.gif

All seriousness, we broke our last one in per the manual and had no mechanical issues at all. I plan to do the same with the new one. We didn't tube, surf, or board during this period. A LONG 9 hours and 59 seconds it was.

Although, we did tow a MasterRaft in via the pylon that broke down on the lake, so slow it didn't register in speed. We couldn't resist! But this was the only suspect activity we did during the break in.

I broke in the old boat for the first 10 hours as recommended by Indmar, no watersports, just cruising at the rpms noted in the manual. Had no problems during the 440 hours I had that boat for. Plan to break this one in the same way once it gets here, which should be next week.

You don't have to wait for 10 hours before watersports, see below. Break-in for 8.1 may vary from Monsoon and HammerHead. Current HH requires no specific break-in. Check your owner's manual to be sure.

For the Monsoon, from the manual:

Your new Indmar engine does not require an elaborate break-in procedure, just a little common sense for the first 7 hours.

Always let engine warm up to normal operating temperature before accelerating. EFI engines are programmed with a phased warm up to ensure that the engine is warm before full RPM is possible.

Avoid fast accelerations and don't carry (or pull) a heavy load during this period.

Check fluids. . .

Vary your boat speed during break-in. Do not run at the same speed very long.

Etc., etc.

do not exceed 2000 during first hour

do not exceed 3000 during second hour

do not exceed 4000 for next 5 hours

After ten take to dealer. . .

Edited by VinRLX

From the Indmar online manual - They do state the break in is for 10 hours. Maybe printed version is different?

"Break-In

Taking care now to break-in your new Indmar engine is

VERY important. When broken in properly, your engine

will last longer, run better and require fewer repairs over

its lifetime.Your new Indmar engine does not require an

elaborate break-in procedure, just a little care and common

sense for the first 10 hours."

For me I'll still go 10 hours break in for the Monsoon. Avoiding fast accelerations means no skiing starts for me as it takes a real hard pull to get my butt out of the hole. The wife gets up pretty easy, but I get to ski the new boat first! Indmar also notes to vary your speed. We don't ski the course so tend to have longer runs which would not allow for varying the speed.

Probably being overcautious, but one weekend of cruising/beer drinking should cover the 10 hours.

You don't have to wait for 10 hours before watersports, see below. Break-in for 8.1 may vary from Monsoon and HammerHead. Current HH requires no specific break-in. Check your owner's manual to be sure.

For the Monsoon, from the manual:

Your new Indmar engine does not require an elaborate break-in procedure, just a little common sense for the first 7 hours.

Always let engine warm up to normal operating temperature before accelerating. EFI engines are programmed with a phased warm up to ensure that the engine is warm before full RPM is possible.

Avoid fast accelerations and don't carry (or pull) a heavy load during this period.

Check fluids. . .

Vary your boat speed during break-in. Do not run at the same speed very long.

Etc., etc.

do not exceed 2000 during first hour

do not exceed 3000 during second hour

do not exceed 4000 for next 5 hours

After ten take to dealer. . .

I think MotoMan said it pretty succinctly.

.... it's the difference between "zing-zing-zing" and "bwaaaaaaaaaAAAAAA". In "bwaaaaaaaaaAAAAAA"

mode you are in 100% ring sealing mode.

You want to be ring sealing those first 10 hours. Biggrin.gif

so when the new boat gets here, what is the general concensus on breaking in the engine? It is the 8.1, don't know if that matters. I have heard different things about holding the throttle steady, varying RPM's for the first (?) hours, don't go above (?) RPM's for (?)hrs, etc. Glazing the rings? Any info is welcome, thanks in advance...

Here's a good discussion from last year:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....owtopic=1164&hl

THere is nothing special you have to do. Just run it like you normally would. If something is going to happen it will no matter how you run the engine. All the stuff you hear about break in procedures are what any engine builders will tell you to cover their butt if something happens.

Edited by Sunset_Bob

thanks for the link the other thread and for not blasting me for seeing it there in the first place...

I'll see what my dealer tells me to do and compare it to ya'lls advice. We wakeboard mostly, so I think we'll be ok with that pretty quick anyways. Nice slow starts and low rpm cruising. Sounds like if just avoid long runs to keep the RPM's varied, we are golden!

Yeah, but I wouldn't load it down too much.

PCM, I think, has a very strict break in that specifically calls for it to be run hard and fast. I think it calls for several WOT runs in its early years (hours). Heck, all Indmars get opened up right away at the factory too.

I don't see how you can go wrong following the book, but Bob's probably right. Enjoy the boat!

They use PCM's in Nautique's, right? I live near the lakes where they lake test those boats, and let me tell you, several WOT runs are an understatement. The guys "breaking in" those boats let them have it.

In college, we skied those lakes with a 18' runabout with a 90 horse Johnson on it, and we used to just float in the lake to listen those Nautiques being tested, dreaming of the day we had a boat that sounded like that.

Edited by rts

Festivus

I have to nicely disagree, but it is your motor. On cars I have always kept to the procedure of doing about 10 30-50mph wot bursts at the very beginning of the engines life. Then make sure you load and run the engine like you normally would except for cruising at a constant speed. That is definately a no no. I have always had very strong engines that do not burn oil through their entire life. I currently have a car with 182k with no oil usage and it runs like new and I have had a boat with 2500 hours that ran like new. Use your own judgement but I have always been told and followed the rule that if you baby your new baby it will always be a baby. I personally want my baby to look like a baby and run like a bigboy.

:):):)

They use PCM's in Nautique's, right? I live near the lakes where they lake test those boats, and let me tell you, several WOT runs are an understatement. The guys "breaking in" those boats let them have it.

In college, we skied those lakes with a 18' runabout with a 90 horse Johnson on it, and we used to just float in the lake to listen those Nautiques being tested, dreaming of the day we had a boat that sounded like that.

Yep.

They still do that at Conway?

Yes, they still do it on Conway for now, but I understand they are moving soon and will test them elsewhere.

BTW, I was at the Nautique dealer today, killing time, and I noticed one of the boats in the showroom did indeed have a PCM sticker on it, but it also had a GM/Vortec sticker...I thought PCM was a Ford engine. Did PCM switch to GM, and if so do they still rotate backwards?

Yes, they still do it on Conway for now, but I understand they are moving soon and will test them elsewhere.

BTW, I was at the Nautique dealer today, killing time, and I noticed one of the boats in the showroom did indeed have a PCM sticker on it, but it also had a GM/Vortec sticker...I thought PCM was a Ford engine. Did PCM switch to GM, and if so do they still rotate backwards?

They switched to GM blocks because they were having a difficult time getting Ford blocks when Ford discontinued the 351.