Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22MXZ Height on Trailer

tm2924

I am just starting to look for a new boat. The 22 MXZ is at the top of the list right now, but I have a height problem in my garage. It is a standard 7' high door, which in reality is a couple inches less than 7'. I keep my boat on a lift during the summer and in the garage in the winter. So really, it is a once in and once out a year proposition. I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience with putting this boat in a 7'. The spec shows 7'1", but sometimes there are ways to cheat. I have searched the forum and can't seem to find the answer. Thanks for the help.

Edited by tm2924

There have been some discussions on the forum where they have asked Boatmate to work some magic making the trailer a bit lower. Maybe search the forum or better yet ask your dealer.

Fortunately I have no width or length problem, it is a 2 car door with over 40' of length.

The real way to see is to make the dealer bring one to the house and see if we can get it in there.

I'm in almost the same exact situation. I've measured the boat and my garage and if I take off the hoop on the Bimini,I should be able to clear it by less than an inch. Of course, that was measuring a boat at the dealer. I should get my boat in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping for a miracle. I really don't want to have to pay for storage. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think someone told me that the highest point of the boat was the windshield when the tower is folded. I was hoping I could "dip" the windshield under the garage door and get it in. In my garage, I have more height once I clear the opening.

I just sold my 2012 MXZ and ordered my 2013 MXZ. I had a boatmate trailer with 18" rims. New spray date is 4-8

I have a similar issue with how I store my boat for the winter. That being said here is what I had to do to get mine in my garage.

Maximum clearance I have on my boat gargae.

106" wide 94" tall

I had to take the board racks off and also the toe ball on the tower to get it in. I mean SQUEAK it in. If the boat would have been one inch taller

or wider it would not have gone.

That being said I would not let this stop you from getting an MXZ. This is our fourth wakeboard boat to buy since 2oo7.

It is by far our favorite. Wake is awesome and handles like a dream. The fact that I am buying another should say all I need to say.

Isn't your boat wider than the trailer, or did you get the transom step on the trailer? Malibu quotes your trailer to be 98" wide. Assuming you upgraded to 18" rims then your trailer should be 99.5" wide, while your boat is 102" wide. You should have 2" on either side of your boat for a 106" wide garage and 3.25" on either side of your trailer.

I just sold my 2012 MXZ and ordered my 2013 MXZ. I had a boatmate trailer with 18" rims. New spray date is 4-8

I have a similar issue with how I store my boat for the winter. That being said here is what I had to do to get mine in my garage.

Maximum clearance I have on my boat gargae.

106" wide 94" tall

I had to take the board racks off and also the toe ball on the tower to get it in. I mean SQUEAK it in. If the boat would have been one inch taller

or wider it would not have gone.

That being said I would not let this stop you from getting an MXZ. This is our fourth wakeboard boat to buy since 2oo7.

It is by far our favorite. Wake is awesome and handles like a dream. The fact that I am buying another should say all I need to say.

I think someone told me that the highest point of the boat was the windshield when the tower is folded. I was hoping I could "dip" the windshield under the garage door and get it in. In my garage, I have more height once I clear the opening.

With the board racks slid off, and with either the "straight" hoop installed or the standard hoop removed, the rear corner on the tower is the highest point when folded all the way (red circle). This point measures at 6'11" on my VLX sitting on a standard boatmate trailer. That is a 7' door and I just barely clear the rear tower point. The windsheild is actually a few inches lower than this on my boat so don't make the mistake of measuring only the windshield. I think the MXZ is slightly taller so make sure you either measure very carefully or have the dealer bring one over to your garage. You can put a drop hitch on to lower the nose a bit, but since this rear tower point is just barely forward of the trailer wheels it only gains you a little bit of space to lower the hitch.

16153349_large.jpg

^^^^ this is correct. I have heard of someone taking off the black on the tower in order to store it for the winter (also involves removing the gas strut).

I love the tower, very sturdy and looks great. HOWEVER, it was not thought out well - it is not for people with a garage and it does not fold below the windshield. Furthermore, it rests on the dash when folded down. I put an old life jacket between the tower and dash to keep it from making an impression on the dash.

Thanks for all the info. I think the real test will be this summer. I will have to get the dealer to bring one by the house and see if we can make it happen.

You guys may like these pictures. Was at my dealer recently and they had a 22 MXZ sitting next to the 24 MXZ. Both on the same standard Boatmate trailer. Looks like the trailer height of the 24 is probably 1-2 inches taller.

22 on the left, 24 on the right:

8589792512_b4d08b6bb6_b.jpg

And sitting on the other side of the 24 MXZ was the G23. Quite a difference!

8588696157_36a8b36876_b.jpg

To quote the movie 4 Christmases: "Looks like the piG23 was meant to be a twin, but it ate the other twin in the womb and took all of its superpowers, that is why it is so big and fat.... ".

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty guys, what did we determine here??

I've got a 22MXZ on a boatmate trailer due here in the next week or two. I'm in a similar situation to you guys, boat only goes in and out of the garage once a year (covered lift the rest). The VTX we've been keeping in the "work bay" with a higher door, but I'm sick of moving it in and out when we need to do work in that bay, and realllly want to fit the MXZ into one of the other bays (but wasnt willing to go with smaller wheels or a smaller boat of course...doh!).

The door I want to put it in is 83" tall, (6' 10"). Width and length are cool (after some minor modifications to the garage...), but the height is not an easy one to change.

I'm prepared to take the tower entirely off if needed (corners stick up higher than the windshield as shown), and I'm even willing to go as far as pulling the wheels off and putting the rear of the trailer on some type of slide or roller to reduce ground clearance to almost nothing

So, can someone measure the height from the floor to the top of the windshield (highest non-removable part?) on a 22mxz. And measure the ground clearance of the trailer (floor to the bottom V of the trailer frame or prop cage, whatever is lower?).

This is gonna be a close one, but I think we can make it fit. Last question is: any info or experience on either putting a small diameter wheel on the trailer to reduce ground clearance (to almost nothing) to slide it in the garage, or some type of glides, coasters, or equipment movers that could be attached to the rear of the trailer?? If it looks like there is a decent chance this will fit I'd like to get something ordered here in the next few days so that were ready to roll (ha!) when the boat comes.

I have not measured an MXZ but I think it's within an inch of the VLX/LSV, so you should be near 7' just by taking off the hoop and board racks. Boatmate trailer? To get down to 6'10" you can lower the drailer by adjusting the torsion bars, there are threads showing that on here. If you still need to drop another inch just deflate the tires a bit. Dropping the hitch down low helps a little bit as well, but not very much since the rear tower point is only slightly forward of the trailer wheels. I think with all of those options 6'10" could be doable if only once a year.