Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Malibu - Stringers

Lundz1

Hi Malibu Crew members. I am a new member and am looking for a little advice. After being out of boating for about 5 years, I am going to get back in. It's been too long since I've water skied. I had always owned I/O's before but am going DD this time. And I want it to be a Malibu. What I want to know is - is there any of the flat windshield type Malibus that do not have wood stringers? Is it possible that a 93 Sunsetter could have composite stringers and floor, if so how could I tell for sure? I prefer that style of boat, but have read the posts about wood stringer rot. Also, I'm curious about the percentage of wood stringer boats that will rot. Do they all eventually? It seems that there is so many ways for water to get down in there and then not get out. Does it come from above ( wet skiers, rain) or from below (rudder, prop, exhaust tubes, fins) What can owners do to prevent water penetration and stringer rot. I hope you can see where I'm going with this. I'm looking for overall info. and opinions. I have attempted to search the site for this specific info. if I have missed it, sorry and please direct me. Any advice is welcome for this guy looking for a good open bow boat to mostly ski, some wakeboarding, located on the west coast. Portland area. If you know of any I'm open to all. Thanks, Dave

Edited by Lundz1

Hi Malibu Crew members. I am a new member and am looking for a little advice. After being out of boating for about 5 years, I am going to get back in. It's been too long since I've water skied. I had always owned I/O's before but am going DD this time. And I want it to be a Malibu. What I want to know is - is there any of the flat windshield type Malibus that do not have wood stringers? Is it possible that a 93 Sunsetter could have composite stringers and floor, if so how could I tell for sure? I prefer that style of boat, but have read the posts about wood stringer rot. Also, I'm curious about the percentage of wood stringer boats that will rot. Do they all eventually? It seems that there is so many ways for water to get down in there and then not get out. Does it come from above ( wet skiers, rain) or from below (rudder, prop, exhaust tubes, fins) What can owners do to prevent water penetration and stringer rot. I hope you can see where I'm going with this. I'm looking for overall info. and opinions. I have attempted to search the site for this specific info. if I have missed it, sorry and please direct me. Any advice is welcome for this guy looking for a good open bow boat to mostly ski, some wakeboarding, located on the west coast. Portland area. If you know of any I'm open to all. Thanks, Dave

Well I can't answer your questions specifically but I do want to say your asking the right questions in the right place! Welcome to the Malibu crew.

I did some digging into the internet tonight and found the following concerning the old style boats, specifically the Skier and Sunsetter. 1991 - wood floor and stringers. 1992 - wood stringers and compositech floor. 1993 - compositech floor and stringers, wood seat bases. 1994 all everything compositech. FYI

I have a 1995 Tige that has wood stringers and a wood floor. I do not have any issues what so ever with wood rot. All the stringers and flooring are covered in fiberglass, so even when there some water in the bilge the water is not in direct contact with the wood.

Wood stringers should not limit what boat you are searching for. Anyone that took care of their boat (kept it covered, or kept in a garage) and kept the bilge dry after skiing should not have any issues with wood rot.

When looking at a boat, take a look and see how clean the bilge is. Check the motor mounts for any wiggle or soft spots. Check the floors for soft spots, especially behind the rear seat (this is where the most water comes in and is the hardest to keep dry. Ask the customer how they cover the boat during a rain storm (is it under a roof, or just a cover, do they put poles under the cover to keep water from pooling??) Hell Tige used wood stringers in their boats until around 2003, their believe was that wood was still stronger than the composite stringers of the early years (again that was just a opinion, and their reason for using wood). If you find a well taken care of boat, I would not be worried with having wood.

Edited by Joeprunc

Thanks for the input. I agree with all you've said. It's clear that I need to find a boat that I can thoroughly inspect and get some history on. It's interesting to read the posts about people who have replaced floors and stringers. Generally, they are not too impressed with the level of workmanship under the floor. That being said, with advice like yours and others I think I can find a good solid boat eventually. Thanks again.