Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with decision!

91Sunsetter

I'm having a hard time deciding between amplifiers and which sub. Set-up is 1 x Rev 10's, 3 x 650's, and most likely a 12" XXX v.2

It will either be Wet Sounds 2 x Syn 4 and 1 x Syn 2 OR JL Audio M600-1, M400-4, M600-6 Which is better??

Is the XXX gonna impress me??? I am the kind of person who can't get enough bass. I listen to EDM music. Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Big Giagantic, etc.

I'll stay clear of the brand differences and answer your question based on what really matters most.

In an open field environment, you want to approach a speaker's RMS or thermal rating (disregard peak), especially in respect to a sub and tower speakers.

In order to get a realistic amplifier power number in attempting to best match up with the speakers, you have to adjust for the supply voltage. Amplifiers are normally rated at 14.4 volts but you can't get that in a boat. It's like rating horsepower with jet fuel but you can't get jet fuel at the pump. So most amplifiers will lose 25 percent of their 14.4 volt rated power at a more realistic 12.5 volts. You may be at 13.5 volts when underway at a good rpm or less than 12.5 volts after a short span at rest. But you get the idea. The amplifier power will continually change output power due to a change in supply voltage.

So take that 14.4 volt rating and reduce it by 20 to 25 percent and then try to match that number up with the RMS/thermal rating of the speaker. A little +/- is no biggy. Don't get too concerned with a moderate wattage difference. Audible differences are a matter of a ratio change and not a fixed number of watts. It will take a 33 % increase or a 25 % decrease for the wattage difference to be audible.

Follow this criteria and you have your answer.

David

Ok, so not really the input I was hoping for, but very technically helpful. Sounds to me, that your saying to achieve the best sounding system I need to focus on providing enough wattage to make the speakers really perform. Which would be planning all the amps RMS to be 25% more powerful than the speakers rms requests. So the amp for the REV10's needs to have an output of 400w x 2 to 750w x 2. My cabin amp needs to be 135w x 6 to 265w x 6. And the sub amp needs to be 1340w x 1 to 2675w x 1. THAT is not very comforting.... That is ALOT of power/money. Does anyone have the best suggestion for amps that would land in this field??

It seems it might be better to go with 2 lower power ratting subs instead of 1 that is super power hungry! Am I right in saying this? So maybe 2 JL 12w6v3(maybe 12w3's) vs. 1 XXX.... Thats double the cone surface at the same power consumtion.

91Sunsetter,

You are way off the message.

You should approach or equal the speakers RMS/thermal rating on the tower speakers and possibly the subwoofer. Approach means get near to. Disregard the peak power rating. So if you have a 300 watt RMS rated tower speaker then you have the freedom to go up to 400 watts of amplifier power as rated at 14.4 volts considering the reduction in power at a 12.5 volt supply. You really do not want to exceed the thermal rating of most speakers....at least the ones with a realistic rating. Some ratings are conservative and some are beyond liberal. I'm taking the ratings of the equipment you referenced at face value.

Don't interpret greater subwoofer thermal or power handling ratings as more power hungry. That may or may not be the case based on very different parameters. However, greater output requires either greater excursion or greater surface area and both require more power to drive.

Rarely would you be able to fit two 12" subs in an ideal single location with ideal orientation.

With equal subs, a single 12" sub in a bass reflex enclosure will equal the output of two 12" subs in a sealed enclosure. You will not automatically get a doubling of acoustic energy (+ 3 dB) by simply doubling surface area. It requires more power also.

David

Ok....So still looking for suggestions on equipment. David, what would be the closet to perfect 3 amps for pairing the REV10s, sx650s, and then a xxx?

Ok....So still looking for suggestions on equipment. David, what would be the closet to perfect 3 amps for pairing the REV10s, sx650s, and then a xxx?

91Sunsetter,

First, I would look towards the more efficient Class H or Class D amplifiers.

All at 14.4 volts ratings....

I like a 4-channel amplifier bridged into 2 X 400 watts to the 4-ohm tower.

I like an 800 watt total (2-ohm rating) 4-channel amplifier to drive three pair of in-boat coaxials. Once all gains are equally adjusted, that's 100 watts to each coaxial.

I would want to get my sub amp in the area of 1000 to 1300 watts to a 4-ohm sub.

That's the target regarless of brand.

Hopefully, there is a local dealer/installer who can assist you. There are so many more considerations that will have a major impact on your system.

David

I have 3 local dealers willing to get very aggresive on pricing. Including JL and Wet Sounds. BUT their quotes were the two I posted at the beginning of this thread. Which don't equal your recommendation. You seem a little less than eager to throw out brand or model suggestions.

I have 3 local dealers willing to get very aggresive on pricing. Including JL and Wet Sounds. BUT their quotes were the two I posted at the beginning of this thread. Which don't equal your recommendation. You seem a little less than eager to throw out brand or model suggestions.

All of the vendors on this site are bound by the TOU and have to be careful around these topics now.

Dealers can not advertise their products on this website because we have a strict No Advertising rule. My suggestion is to contact a knowledgable, participating dealer here. They will be able to give you the info you are looking for and probably sell a product that will fit your needs.

I think David really answered your question. His posts are very technical and take a few times reading them to sort out exactly what he's saying but I would take the spec's he just posted and look up the ratings for each amp your looking at. Then choice which ever amp come the closest or which ever amp in in your price range that come close! Good luck

I didnt realize the no advertising thing was going on, I appriciate that. Another reason why I love this forum. I switched to Supra this year from my Malibu, but supra forums are GARBAGE!!!!