Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maximum width of trailer for 2002 Sunsetter Lxi?

Melmal

I know that these boats come on several different brands of trailer, but was wondering if one or two people who currently own one would be kind enough to go out of their way and measure the trailer width at the widest point for me.

Why? Fair enough question... I'm planning on buying a second hand bu and importing it myself to Australia. By doing this I can save about $10-15,000 over an identical Australian built model. The problem is the maximum legal width for a trailer in Australia is 2.5 metres or 8.212 foot wide, due to our narrower roads. I'm just wondering if I'd have to modify a US made trailer or if they are less than the Australian maximum width. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can shed some light on this for me, as I cant wait to own my first Malibu.

Also I just wanted to say that I'm new to this forum and I am really impressed by the amount of info on it, and the way everyone seems to help out complete strangers they've never met before. Keep up the good work!

My 2004 SSLXI on a Prestige Tandem trailer is right at 102"W. This is outside fender width measurement. The trailer guide bars stick out another 1" on each side so that measurement is 104" but could be removed.

Wedge88 - thanks for that info. Thats about 6 inches too wide for Australian roads (not including the guide bars). Looks like I may have to buy one without a trailer and get my own trailer built in Australia. Still a good option though given the excessive cost of buying a Malibu in Australia.

Just out of interest, do you ski and board behind your lxi? How do you rate it for skiing versus boarding? I'd love a 2004 model but sadly it's out of my price range after freight & duty are added on

The boat your looking at is 93" wide. I'm pretty sure the tires won't be much wider than that, your aloud almost 99", I think the most you would have to do is maybe narrow the fenders and shorten the guide poles.

Scott

Wedge88 - thanks for that info. Thats about 6 inches too wide for Australian roads (not including the guide bars). Looks like I may have to buy one without a trailer and get my own trailer built in Australia. Still a good option though given the excessive cost of buying a Malibu in Australia.

Just out of interest, do you ski and board behind your lxi? How do you rate it for skiing versus boarding? I'd love a 2004 model but sadly it's out of my price range after freight & duty are added on

We primarily ski and barefoot with the occasional wakeboard and surfing. I have actually run my personal best on the course behind this boatand I had a 2006 RLXi last. If I was blind folded and put behind this SSLXi or my old RLXi I don't think I could tell the difference. It throws a good wake for boarding with the wedge but I am not good enough to do much. We did take a demo rider with us at a dealer event and he was doing his full routine so I would call that pretty decent..

I know Boatmate offers a narrow trailer option. Basically they put the bunks higher so the fenders are tucked under the hull. Might be an option.

Great tip about the boatmate trailer, thanks. Sounds like a great boat for both wake boarding and water skiing - which is exactly what we're after

It's about perfection is you slalom and want to have an intermediate level wakeoard wake. the rear trunk is about 18 cu. ft. and hold all sorts of gear. Drop the wedge and have 500 sack in the front ski locker and it'll put out a wake that most wakeboarders would hit w/o any problems.

G'day melmal! I'm also an Aussie importing an 02 sunsetter lxi! My trailer is an eagle trailer and its just over the 2.5m rule by about 30mm! Hope this helps. Where are you located? Any pics of your boat?