Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VTX: Johnson pump + 1100 bags install

flapjack

Hey guys. I recently plumbed in ballast into a 2011 VTX. This forum has helped me out; I thought I’d return the favor for the next guy. There is nothing new or revolutionary here, I just thought I’d archive some of my photos / decisions for a future installer. Shout out to the WakeMakers guys for their advice and a couple of unique ideas I hadn’t seen on the forum.

Goals / Priorities:

1. Super empty bags. We’ll be running this boat through the slalom course soon. I want as little additional weight in the back as possible when the thing is empty.
  2. As much weight as physically possible in each locker.
  3. Fast fill / drain
  4. Idiot proof… I know someone is going to leave a pump running. Venting the bag was important for me.
  5. Drill as few holes through the boat as possible.

Intake.

I drilled an additional hole with 1” intake. I used the existing drain plug hole for the other. While the drain plug hole is only ¾”, I used 1” tubing for everything past the ball valve. Note, I used strait barbs for both hose connections. I tried using an elbow on the existing drain plug line. It caused interference with the existing ballast pump; using a strait avoids removing the existing ballast pump for installation.

246t1yg.jpg

here's a picture of the interference if you try a 90 degree bend

35ldto4.jpg

Pump mount.

I put them under the rear corner seats. I figured this is the driest place with the shortest run to the intake.

2emmukp.jpg

Make sure you leave slack in the intake line and electrical wires. I have mine so if I remove the 4 screws mounting the pump I can access the impeller without removing any wires or hoses.

35bgsaf.jpg

Bag plumbing.

WakeMakers idea for maximum fill of the bags…

Port bag plumming (starboard is the opposite):

• ¾” hose vent from bag.
  • Vent hose runs across the very highest point behind the back seat.
  • Just before the starboard vent line, check valve.
  • From the checkvalve, “T” into starboard vent line.

You’ll notice in the pictures that the bags are full higher than the vent holes. When the port bag is full for surfing, the boat is listing to port. The hoses running across the back of the seat are now much higher than the vent hoses. I have no leaking out the vent during surfing.

2wohfrk.jpg

Here's the starboard bag. I'm not sure if the shower is going to be a problem. Note that this photo shows the wasted bag area in this locker.

2r42ash.jpg

Because I have checkvalves in the vent lines the, bags fully suck flat. When I lift them, there is no water in them. I had a one time issue in that the bag collapsed on the fill/drain hole and the pump drained really slowly. If this is a repeating issue, I’m going to have to attach something inside the fill hole to prevent obstruction.

abs3g0.jpg

Electrical.

I used 10ga wire. The wire runs from the pumps, up through the cooler vent hole and to the front of the boat.

I used a couple of the extra breaker spots under the arm rest. There is a 15A and a 30A. For the 30A breaker, I added a 15A inline fuse.

For my switch mounting bracked, I took a dremmel to a $3 “job box” from Radio Shack. I had to move the subwoofer gain control to the left.

2nh263q.jpg

2iu6emx.jpg

3345aa0.jpg

Please do not reproduce this post or photos outside of MalibuCrew website without my permission.

Looks great. Is that 1,100 in each locker or 550 in each locker? Can you comment on the surf wake (pics?) you get with that much weight in the back of the VTX? My 2013 is on order should arrive sometime in May 2013 and I am weighing my ballast options (Pun intended).

Looks great. Is that 1,100 in each locker or 550 in each locker? Can you comment on the surf wake (pics?) you get with that much weight in the back of the VTX? My 2013 is on order should arrive sometime in May 2013 and I am weighing my ballast options (Pun intended).

It is an 1,100 bag in each locker. No way am I getting 1,100 lbs of water back there.

I couldn't find pictures of 750lb bag installs in a VTX, and my measurements suggested that I'd have room to spare with the 750s. (the lack of VTX specific ballast information was the reason I bothered to start this thread) The back locker of a VTX is shaped like an eschewed pentagon. I wanted every inch of that space filled with water. I have no doubt in my mind that I have max gallons of water back there. You might get the same result with 750's.

The surf wave is good, but it doesn't compare with a 247.

Edited by flapjack

Flapjack, did you modify the Engine compartment sidewalls?

Nice set up , I did the same thing on my 2007 vtx but I used 750 bags one on each side.

Sorry OT. Have you got picture from your setup? Especially from the compartment with the filled Sack? Edited by Steeli

I can take some pictures , I was thinking about doing a youtube video. My set up was a winter project I used air to fill the bag up. I hooked up the water line to the bottom of the boat and tested my system for leaks my boat is in the garage would be a pain to pull it out. If you want to see pictures e mail me your address I will send you my set up. I did two 750 bags with four pumps on two swithches.

[email protected]