Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which one should I buy?

Melmal

I'm looking at buying a used Malibu Sunsetter. Can anyone tell me the difference between a 2002 Sunsetter Lx and a 2002 Sunsetter Lxi? I know the Lxi is 8 inches longer, but cant find any info on the different features included on either model? Any help would be much appreciated

Ha ha! Good point about the extra room at the back. Sounds a lot more practical. Thanks for the advice.

Just one more question... Can anyone tell me the maximum width of the Sunsetter Lxi trailer? I am in Australia and I'm planning on importing one already on a trailer, for use here. The maximum width for a standard trailer here is 2.5m (8.2021ft) so I may have to get the axle shortened.

G'day Melmal and welcome.

We own a 1999 Sunsetter Lxi and love it. I would personally recommed the Lxi over the Lx. The trunk/storage area on the Lxi is a big bonus, and it has convenient access from the swim step so skiers/riders can retrieve and stow their gear while standing on the swim step. I believe the hull running surfaces for the Lxi and the Lx are identical so you get same wake. The extra 8 inches in boat length is simply the trunk/storage area that extends from the stern of the boat but well above the running surface.

I also saw your post about trailer width. My trailer is made by Sport Boat Trailer Company and it is 8 feet, 6 inches wide measured at the outside edge of the fenders.

Take Care, Mike

Mike - Thanks for your post. You make a good point about the skier/rider being able to stow their own gear from the swim step on the Lxi. That's something that hadnt occurred to me. Also thanks for the info on the trailer. Still not sure if I just buy an Australian trailer, as it seems like a few people have had issues with getting American trailers registered here. Just out of interest how many hours do you have on your motor and have you had any issues with it?

Shane

One of the hats I wear at work is DOT Coordinator. Here in the states the legal width (without a hauling permit) is 8'6". However, the tall trailer guildes on most trailers are wider than that. However again, some of the wider, newer model boats have a beam of 102" (8' 6"). Obviously you can do the math and figure out that the outsides of the trailer guides are gonna be closer to 108" wide (9'). A reputable dealer told me that the trailer/boat manufacturers get away with this because the guide poles will "breakaway" or move to the point that they can be at or less than 8'6" wide. He said it with a smirk and I understood why....

I haven't verifed with the DOT that this is accurate. I don't want to be "that guy". But don't be surprised if they figure it out and implement changes.

To the OP, not sure how your....country operates but you might inquire about registering it and attaching an annual permit for overwidth if applicable. Or lie play dumb and just register it at 8' wide.... :dontknow:

Edited by Ndawg12

I'm looking at buying a used Malibu Sunsetter. Can anyone tell me the difference between a 2002 Sunsetter Lx and a 2002 Sunsetter Lxi? I know the Lxi is 8 inches longer, but cant find any info on the different features included on either model? Any help would be much appreciated

The Trunk

2345703B-7329-41B2-ABC0-8C45990CD2B1-929

0489E165-76D7-4E40-A60D-86B2B1C73375-929

Thanks for all the handy info guys. I appreciate you all letting me pick your brains and it looks like the ss lxi is the right choice for what I need. I just have to save a few more pennies and find one thats on the right trailer, and close to a port for shipping to Australia. I really dont want to have to fork out more hard earned cash on a new trailer as I'm up for about $10,000 US in shipping and taxes (ouch!).

Melmal, if you are yet to buy then you need to crunch the numbers for all of your options and that will probably be dependant on how you intend to ship. A ss lxi will fit into a container but the cost saving may be at the expense of shipping the trailer and risk of damage. Most US trailer manufacturers now have export compliant trailers. Boatmate is one of those, you will get a 98" ADR compliant trailer suitable for your boat and it will be new. You will probably get one through a dealer for around $4k. Sounds like a lot but here they start at $6K and to convert an older US trailer PROPERLY should be around $3K if you use standard wheels. Here is why: Many US trailers currently in use in Australia Do not comply. Have a smash and insurance will wipe you. You're worried about the width but that is the easiest to overcome. Most US trailer wheels have a negative offset, they are 114 stud pattern ie. Ford which can easily be swapped for a+ 45 offset or 2" narrower each. Problem solved, but this is just the beginning, then there is the brakes, the coupling, the lighting and even the wiring which will need upgrading or replacing. Your US built trailer needs to comply with VSB 1 and there are some engineering specifications which are often overlooked particularly where folding tongues are used. In addition to VSB 1 there are special bulletins. Most importers downgrade the GVM of the trailer to get around brake requirements. This practice is prohibited by a special bulletin requiring all trailers to conform to the original manufacturers specification. ie. if the GVM is 2.5 Tonnes when built then it needs to comply with VSB 1 for a 2.5 trailer. In the case of brakes, discs on four wheels, an electric breakaway and the correct coupling. There;s much more but there is too much here already. Suffice to say if you still intend to use a US older trailer, source which parts you need for the conversion and ship them over with the boat. How do I know this? I have shipped boats in the past and each time I learned a lesson. Some are very expensive ones to learn, just trying to save someone the grief.

Thanks for all the handy info guys. I appreciate you all letting me pick your brains and it looks like the ss lxi is the right choice for what I need. I just have to save a few more pennies and find one thats on the right trailer, and close to a port for shipping to Australia. I really dont want to have to fork out more hard earned cash on a new trailer as I'm up for about $10,000 US in shipping and taxes (ouch!).

• 2 weeks later...

Dihrdskir. Thanks for sharing all the trailer issue info with me. Looks like I need to do a bit more research on the trailer situation. The problem is, a new trailer may push the budget too far, as it pushes the costs up to around $15000 over the price of the boat.

the lx is a slalom and barefoot machine.

if you need the space move up to the larger lxi the slalom wakes are not quite as good but some here would argue that.

imho the lx barefoot wakes are much nicer than the lxi provides.