Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More Steering Cable & Helm Questions

Ok.....I've read the cable replacement in the DIY forms and nearly all of the other threads on cable replacement. I'm going to replace my cable this season before the boat goes in. While it's not terribly stiff, the steering has been getting more stiff with each season, so it's time for a replacement. In looking at my helm, I have a rotary system. So, I have the following questions from the experts.

1. Is it worth replacing the helm with a rack & pinion system?
  2. Is it better to simply by another rotary cable and call it good?
  3. Does anyone know if the rotary helm came stock on a 1997 SSLX? I looked at the helm (boat is still "sleeping" in the garage with the cover on, so it was difficult to see well) it looks like the manufacturer's sticker is worn to the point where I can't read it. I assume it's Teleflex, but not sure.
  4. I was under the impression, based on http://www.bakesonli...il.aspx?ID=1466 that it should have a rack & pinion stock.

I'm inclined to replace the helm with a rack and pinion as well as the cable, but looking for some insight from the crew before I drop $300+ on parts.

Thanks in advance.

A rotary helm works just fine, particularly the ones with the planetary gearing. I don't think there's any huge advantage to the rack and pinion style. A minor advantage may be that when you replace the cable with a rack and pinion system you're actually replacing the rack as well (the rack and the cable are all one part) so when that job is done the cable is new along with one-half of the gearing basically. Only one-half because the pinion gear stays unchanged attached to the steering wheel. If you stick with the rotary system I would definitely make sure you have the planetary geared system installed - more reliable and feels better overall.

I would suggest sticking with the rotary helm and replace the cable. Your boat uses a 17' rotary cable, which is a straight forward remove/replace job. If you add a rack and pinion change, you may regret the undertaking.

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for all the responses. I'd rather not start something I'll regret as Peter suggested. Not to mention the difference in cost. But it does appear that the OE equipment is still on the boat but the stickers are all worn off and are not legible.

Thanks again!

:werule: