Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bravox M6-ODB

slap

Saw these posted in the deal street thread. I know NOTHING about speakers, watts, ohms, impedance, crossovers, capacitors, filters, or any of the other high-tech lingo y'all banter about in this forum. I do know that my factory JVC speakers are shot and sound like crap in my 2000 SSLxi.

I've gathered from popular opinion the Polk DB651's are great bang-for-the-buck. CAn someone who understands this stuff tell me if I;d be better off with these Bravox factory buy outs? Are they better? 200 watts vs 180? Both 4 ohms? It's all greek to me...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=269-516

as long as they'll fit the holes in your current boat (the bravox's are 6"'s not 6.5" like most speakers), and as long as you've got an amp to give them some power, I think they'd totally be worth the risk. Even if your existing holes are too big, you could easily make a baffle out of something to make the mounting hole smaller.

I say go for it.

I'm no expert but I would be leary of the speakers you linked, I've learned that you certainly "get what you pay for" when it comes to marine audio equipment. You can be the guineau pig on these Bravox's or go with the proven Polk's that are a great deal as well..

Bravox is the OEM for a certain very very famous boat audio brand, no?

Yes, but as you correctly mentioned there is no corresponding speaker of that size. So I do not see the correlation.

Regardless of brand, doesn't it make sense to go with the maximum cone area that will fit the space....particularly in an open field?

David

Yes, but as you correctly mentioned there is no corresponding speaker of that size. So I do not see the correlation.

Regardless of brand, doesn't it make sense to go with the maximum cone area that will fit the space....particularly in an open field?

David

If the OP is looking at $20 a pair speakers, its probably a good assumption that he's willing to make some compromises on the install?

I have a pair, I had to enlarge the 6.5" hole to fit them, they are much bigger then standard 6.5" speakers. They sound pretty nice though, not as clear as some higher end speakers, but out of the all the marine speakers I listened to they were the best. They seem quality built though, so far I am pleased.

Installed a set in the back of my 2001 VLX this weekend. Haven't powered them yet but I did have to slightly enlarge the holes that the original Infinity speakers were in. I used a steady hand and a Dremel drywall bit to do the cutting. Have a shop-vac handy. It made a mess.

a210e2e8-2a08-4b0e-bead-08e845c5f197_zps

Edited by TyRobbins

Installed a set in the back of my 2001 VLX this weekend. Haven't powered them yet but I did have to slightly enlarge the holes that the original Infinity speakers were in. I used a steady hand and a Dremel drywall bit to do the cutting. Have a shop-vac handy. It made a mess.

a210e2e8-2a08-4b0e-bead-08e845c5f197_zps

Funny, exactly what I had to do & same type of boat. My wife held the shop vac & we put some card board to prevent shavings from falling down