Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Malibu Sunsetter LX - Fuel Problem

I have read other fuel pump topics and tried the suggestions. I have 12v at the fuel pump fuse with the key on but no power at the fuel pump. I tried continuity testing at the fuel pump and have a good ground on one side of the fuel pump plug but no continuity from the fuse(either side) to the other side of the fuel pump plug.

Is there something else between the fuse and the fuel pump that could have failed? All I can see is the fuse wiring goes into the wire bundle and the plug for the fuel pump comes out of the wire bundle but no telling where they go.

Try running a temporary new wire from the +side of the fuse to the fuel pump if it works then the problem is the wiring if it doesn't then it could be the pump itself.

It may be a dumb question but do you have oil pressure. There is a sensor by the oil filter that will cut the fuel pump if no pressure. Something to look at?

I thought this boat had an oil pressure monitor for the instrument panel which I think is the small bell (about 2 inches tall) looking sensor by the oil filter and a oil pressure switch which would cause the problem you indicate. I can only find the bell shaped one by the oil filter. Where would I find the oil pressure switch? I looked pretty thoroughly but the only other sensor was on the other side of the block and I think it is a knock sensor. The oil pressure monitor I did find has one wire on it at the top of the bell. Any ideas on location of a second oil pressure switch?.

if its like my 99 sunsetter lxi with a 310hp carb indmar motor. it will be screwed into the block by the distributor. should have three terminals on it and i believe the wire colors are purple, orange and red? when mine went out i believe i jumped the orange and purple wire together and if the pump is good and you have oil pressure than that sensor is bad.

if that is the case skidim has them and it is a indmar part only.

as mentioned, did you jump a 12 volt directly to the pump?

hope this helps

steve

Sorry for the delay, was out of town. My sensor is by my pressure sender by the oil filter. It is round and only has one wire on it

no, like i said if its like mine 350 vortec indmar motor it will be screwed into the top of the block right by the distributor. remember mine is a 99 and a carb motor.

mine looks like these but has three flat spade terminals on it. the replacement only comes with two terminals.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1407

the second link is for a v-drive

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1416

If your engine is fuel injected, you have a fuel pump control relay between the fuse and pump which is turned off and on by the ECM. Turning your key to the on position will cause the ECM to run the pump, via the relay, for two seconds. Then it will not run again till you crank the engine, which causes the ECM to see an input reference from the distributor and run the pump again. Turning the key off starts the sequence again.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Well it looks like it may have been a loose connection at the fuel pump all along. After everything, I was going to try hotwiring the fuel pump as indicated above so I put the fuel pump back on. Before hotwiring it though I decided to give it another try. It ran and the boat is running great. I did mess up a bit in that initially I forgot to turn the fuel back on at the tank after reinstalling the fuel pump and it only ran 10 seconds the first time but longer than the 3 seconds earlier. It did hit me quickly and after turning the fuel back on, it is running very well.

Thanks again. Glad I didn't spend $300 for a new fuel pump.