Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting 3.5" bow speakers

Indebound

Hi all,<br /><br />I have a pair of db351s that I want to put up in the bow of my 2000 Sunsetter Lxi and in wondering the best way to mount them, while trying to keep them as tucked away as possible. I have some MDF that I can use to build some enclosures. Any specific ideas? Thinking just either in the front or rear of the compartment. I don't think I can mount them 'elevated', can I?<br /><br />I'm currently shopping for a price point amp that will power these and 4 db651s I plan on replacing the stock interiors with. Looking to run the bow and aft speakers in parallel off two of the channels and the dash speakers off the other two. ( as suggested in the 'bow speaker' thread). By running said speakers in parallel that'll drop ohms to 2ohms, and I'm wondering if those small db351s will be a significant limiting factor (35 amp RMS) when choosing an amp?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Nick<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk<br />

Indebound,

The surface area of this smaller speaker is going to determine its output, which is going to be far less. So in order for the smaller speakers to compete and actually make a contribution, they will need to be in a prominent location in respect to the listener and considered a supplemental ambient speaker only. If you cannot accomplish this then they are a waste of your effort.

I'm not so worried about the power handling becuase you should be adding a passive filter capacitor to remove the bottom end. Because the speaker is so small you will aim for a - 3 dB point around 175 Hz or above. Now the considerable impedance rise of this speaker approaching resonance will re-bias the capacitor. But if you are crossed over high enough as suggested then the impact will be minimal and you will still get the prescribed protection.

For your amplifier, look for something with four channels of highpass. Running highpass at 55 to 60 Hz on most fullrange 6.5" speakers will not audibly change their midbass contribution. But it will clean them up and provide greater output and power handling.

David

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking in terms of space constraints in the compartment and thought this would help a little bit. I'll probably restart from the drawing board. David if I install 6.5's the I won't need a cap, right?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Nick<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk<br />

Right. No cap.

However, as stated above, I would still actively highpass the fullrange 6.5" coaxials at a very low frequency even if you are not running a sub.

David