Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
cougzfan83

Help building sub enclosure for MXZ

cougzfan83

Has anyone here built an enclosure for a sub on their MXZ?

I should be getting my boat in a few weeks and have a new setup from Exile. I am going to attempt to install myself. I'm installing a 12 in' sub, tower speakers, 2 amps, and zone control.

I'm pretty handy. Just trying to figure out if I should take on the sub box myself or have someone else build it.

Please share your experience.

Thanks!!

Cdoogles

I built a sealed box last year and a vented one this year....both for the Exile 12 xid subwoofer. I also ran tower speakers and a ZLD from them. It's not too bad, this year I am running the SPL sized box which required enlargening the opening from the stock subwoofer a little.

Did you get the heater?

cougzfan83

That looks great! I did get the heater. What difference does a vented box versus non-vented make? I'm a newb.

Any additional pictures would be great since I'm a visual learner. :-)

Thanks!

Cdoogles

The heater makes it tougher for two reasons.... One, the heater box restricts how deep the top of your box can be. Two, the heater tube into the aisle way restricts how deep and wide the bottom of the box can be. That being said, I had heaters on both my boats. The sealed box is smaller and easier to build, vented box is tougher to fit, bigger, more difficult to build, but will provide more db for the same system. I'm also pretty new to all this but the guys here on the crew have been schooling me pretty well.

Cdoogles

Here's a few pics of my last build: P1070653.jpg

2012-04-24_21-13-20_601.jpg

2012-04-04_15-12-21_200.jpg

Edited by Cdoogles

Cdoogles

Here are a few cell phone shots of my current box...I'll take some better one's tonight to show you more detail.

2013-03-10_14-21-49_448_zpsa1a33c43.jpg

2013-03-10_15-16-56_979_zpsf088b2ea.jpg

robtr8

All of the above is true and valid considerations with one caveat. You can use a smaller (little bit) sub woofer driver, in a properly engineered box, with the end result of having a smaller total space requirement. Although not as sexy, there are some great 8" drivers out there.

We really need a sticky or a FA for this particular section of the forum. Do a little digging and you will find a ton of good info about build materials, recommended equipment, box designs and engineers.

cougzfan83

Thanks you guys! I will dig some more to get a better idea what I'm taking on.

CDoogles, how did you mount your amps? I am keeping the factory interior speakers from Fosgate, so my setup should look almost exactly like that with the Harpoon amp and sub amp. Did you do that yourself? Also, do you have a picture of your Zone control mounted?

Thanks again!!

MLA

Cd,

Last year we did a 12" in a ported enclosure in a 22MXZ, that was about 1.8cft net and did not have to modify the original opening or lose and leg room. So depending on the woofers particular parameters, you should be able to to do a ported enclosure and a sealed should be a breeze. We are currently working on a 24 MXZ. It seems to be slightly deeper under the helm then the 22. We are at 3.0 cft, with no loss of leg room, but it did require a little work on the opening. Neither MXZ had/has a heater.

Cdoogles

Cd,

Last year we did a 12" in a ported enclosure in a 22MXZ, that was about 1.8cft net and did not have to modify the original opening or lose and leg room. So depending on the woofers particular parameters, you should be able to to do a ported enclosure and a sealed should be a breeze. We are currently working on a 24 MXZ. It seems to be slightly deeper under the helm then the 22. We are at 3.0 cft, with no loss of leg room, but it did require a little work on the opening. Neither MXZ had/has a heater.

MLA, Fully agree with what you are saying. If you add a heater it kills the depth you need by 4-5" unless you relocate the heater to a higher location. 1.8 will be really complex to get in there with the heater and without enlargening the opening. I haven't loss any leg room on either box. Would love to see the 3.0 setup you put into the 24'!!! Sounds loud :)