Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

pylon removal

highlife02

I am in the middle of replacing the carpet on my 2005 rlxi and to make installing the carpet has anyone removed their ski pylon. I attempted to remove the bolt on the underside of the floor and can't get the pylon to budge. I have read some topics saying the pylon was glassed around and if that is the cause it might not be worth removing and either carpeting around or starting at the pylon. Any insight would be great

First step is to remove the bolt that is running through the pylon behind the bilge cover panel. It's a little tough to get to but not impossible. Remove the nut from the bolt on the back side of the pylon. You may have to use something to wedge behind the washer on the through bolt to apply pulling pressure as you turn the bolt. I recently did this exact same thing and had to grind out a groove in a Harbor Freight nail puller to go around the bolt but behind the washer and apply the pressure to get the bolt out. The removal of the pylon will be much easier if you access to a come along or overhead chain hoist.

I used a nylon choker strap that I attached to the pylon mid way with a good choke style wrap. I applied upward pressure directly above the pylon the bounced the pylon with a rubber mallett. The pylon is seated in a fiberglass tube much like a poster shipping tube. It does NOT have resin holding it in place.

It's just a pressure fit. It will be tight and may take a decent amount of upward pressure but it will break loose.

If you don't have access to upward pressure, two strong guys with a properly choked strap and a breaker bar can apply upward pressure as well as twisting pressure and get it to pop out.

Let me know if you need a better description of the latter description.

Well I have just the set up for that in my Garage and add a couple of beers and either the pylon will come out or the boat is going to be hanging? Now that I have an idea on how to get it out, is getting it back in a matter of downward pressure and a little persuasion or is it more involved?

Putting it back, you need to draw a line (magic marker) on the pylon centerline of the hole from the bolt hole down. This will help you line up the mounting holes as it is

re installed. One person on the stomach with a flashlight giving directions and one person guiding the pylon back to it's home. Mine went back in easier than I thought it would. I did use a little vasoline on the bottom of the pylon, but basically just lined it up, bumped it a little with a rubber mallett and the bolt lined up. This would be a good time to polish the pylon while it's out of the boat.

IF YOU DO have to provide more than a few good whacks to the top of the pylon to get it re started you might consider removing the swivel head and the shaft that mounts it so you are hitting just the pylon base.

Update. Using a chain hoist and the Micro lam lifting beams I have in my garage I was able to lift the pylon out. The trick to it was a couple of hits with a rubber mallet to loosen it. Also when choking the strap around the pylon I got a 2" rubber plumbing fitting and placed it around the pylon and choked the strap to that so it would have something to grab to.