Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Options - Opinions Needed

TexasWakeRep

OK, decided on the 6.2 and probably the VLX

Now, on to colors. I want to do a Charcoal, light Grey, and red combo. Which of these is the best looking? Other ideas with those colors?

VLXSide3_zps493bd637.png

VLXside_zpse1568d68.png

VLXside2_zpsc924f79d.png

6.2 in a VLX is overkill, IMHO. Sure will be a hot rod!

In my case, I beg to differ. We wakeboard with 4 factory tanks full, 400lb lead in the nose, 1100s 2/3 full in the rear trucks, wedge down, and however many people are riding that day. The Monsoon spinning the Acme 1235 in my 08 VLX would pull it, but didn't particularly enjoy it.

One disadvantage to larger motors, won't matter to most but good to know:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41737-no-warming-tray-with-larger-motors-on-2013-lsv/

We always had our VLX super loaded up, never had any problem with the 350 except for one time: We had 14 people + 2k on top of factory ballast and were at 5000' elevation.

Also the 6.2 will require premium gas. You can run regular gas in the 6.0 if you get that.

Edited by pkh

I have the 6.2 in my truck. Holy cow what an engine. i would love to have it in my boat!

You have the L92 in your truck. Very similar to the LS3, but different cam, pistons, intake manifold, front cover, lower compression, heavier valves, and a few other minor differences.

Questionabout all this discussion about torque curves and such. If the engineers at Malibu were to look over these charts and make a judgement as to what engines should be in what boats. What is the reasoning behind stuffing the L96 in the bigger boats as the base engine? If the Monsoon makes peak torque lower in the RPM range, usable range that we are most often in. Why not keep the Monsoon in the 24ft + boats also?

Malibu is not only manufcaturer that does this either. Centurion does the same with it Enzo line. Base enine in the 244 is the PCM equivilent of the L96 6.0l.

Just curious what leads the engineering staff to place a larger, under performing motor in the bigger boats.

^^Probably pure profit $$$. Option of more HP, more expensive and everybody get a cut, GM, Malibu, Indmar, etc.

Texaswakerep-1st or 3rd.

Agreed also the extra HP helps a lot on the other end with all that weight. Keep in mind torque will get that big thing moving but its HP that lets that big thing go 55MPH.

Hmmm, you guys have got me wavering on the motor decision. I wonder what the Torque and HP curves look like for Indmar's version? What about this statement from Indmar on the L96 "Variable valve timing using a hydraulic cam phaser to retard cam timing for low end torque and advance cam timing for high rpm horsepower' Seems like their curves could be much different?

Let's see....so it's the torque that helps me plane off? I can't recall what rpm range I was running with Monsoon 340 when planing off with a slammed boat. Anybody know off the top of their head?

And is is HP or torque that helps me maintain my running speed 22-22.5mph? What is the rpm range slammed with Monsoon 340 there?

Any body running the L96 in a VLX? Do you NOTICE a difference over the Monsoon 340/350?

I'd like to get a bit of a power upgrade over my Monsoon 340, but now I'm not convinced that I need to go all the way to the LS3 in a VLX. Seems like that extra 5k could be spend on something else.

When I spoke to Acme last year, they said that the 15" prop was only a slight improvement over the 1235. Not worth the money to upgrade. It was my understanding from forum posters that yes it makes the boat run less rpms at wakeboarding speed but doesn't get you out of the hole as fast as the 1235. Is that the consensus? My biggest issue is getting out of the hole. Once I get planed and to wakeboarding speed, I'm good.

I have a 8.1 in my 23. I love having a big engine. We put up to 4000lbs of people and ballast. With a 1235, you only need to half throttle to get up to surf speeds. Even then, it barely feels like the motor is working. That is at 4000 feet. It took me a year and a half to find a older 23 with 8.1. I refused to get a hammerhead.

You are thinking of the wrong prop. That is completely incorrect. The 15'' prop is more aggressive than the 1235.

Edited by Chattwake

You are thinking of the wrong prop. That is completely incorrect. The 15'' prop is more aggressive than the 1235.

You're right, I was thinking of the 5 blade prop. What's the feedback on the 15" prop vs the 1235? Faster out of the hole? RPMs higher or lower at wakeboarding speed?

You're right, I was thinking of the 5 blade prop. What's the feedback on the 15" prop vs the 1235? Faster out of the hole? RPMs higher or lower at wakeboarding speed?

Pretty sure it's better hole shot with higher rpms at wake speeds.

Pretty sure it's better hole shot with higher rpms at wake speeds.

If that's the case, a L96 paired with the 15" prop should give me more hole shot and lower RPMs at wakeboarding speeds over my Monsoon 340 with 1235 prop correct?

Hmmm, you guys have got me wavering on the motor decision. I wonder what the Torque and HP curves look like for Indmar's version? What about this statement from Indmar on the L96 "Variable valve timing using a hydraulic cam phaser to retard cam timing for low end torque and advance cam timing for high rpm horsepower' Seems like their curves could be much different?

Let's see....so it's the torque that helps me plane off? I can't recall what rpm range I was running with Monsoon 340 when planing off with a slammed boat. Anybody know off the top of their head?

And is is HP or torque that helps me maintain my running speed 22-22.5mph? What is the rpm range slammed with Monsoon 340 there?

Any body running the L96 in a VLX? Do you NOTICE a difference over the Monsoon 340/350?

I'd like to get a bit of a power upgrade over my Monsoon 340, but now I'm not convinced that I need to go all the way to the LS3 in a VLX. Seems like that extra 5k could be spend on something else.

If you are going to run slammed you want the LS3. If I upgrade boats in a few years this will likely be the engine I end up with.

I have a 2012 VLX with the Monsoon 350 and 1235 prop. I can run about 3000lbs of total ballast (stock + additional bags) with the wedge down before having trouble planing out if I only have a few people on board. If I have a full boat of 8 people I can't run 3K, I have to drain down to probably closer to 2K total. With a boat full of 10+ people, including a few big guys, even the stock 1250 takes a bit to plane out. Again this is with the wedge down. If you plan on running that amount of weight (or more) frequently get the LS3 instead. The L96 offers no significant torque increase in the RPM range that will help you plane out when compared to the Monsoon 350.

You already know how the Monsoon performs in your current VLX. If you think you will need more HP due to the weight you run then get it, I doubt you will be sorry.

Question for you guys...Interior colors: Is Platinum or Moonbean a light gray? I'm looking for the lightest possible shade of gray other than white for the Base and/or Main Vinyl.