Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Options - Opinions Needed

TexasWakeRep

Going to order a 13 VLX or MXZ in the next few weeks. Can't seem to find a list of available options anywhere.

First, does anyone have an options list they can post or send to me?

Second, what options would you pick and why?

Third, which motor for heavily weighted VLX or MXZ?

Thanks for your help!

Check pages 66-69 of the 2013 Brochure. It's available for download on malibu's website--click the "brochure" tab at the top of their homepage. You can fill in the contact info with bogus info (if you want) and then it will let you download the brochure.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 1

I would pick everything except keep the stereo basic, like none or sound pack 1. You can get better aftermarket stuff for cheaper. I would do the snap out carpet or aqua mat.

Don't be a wussy - get the LSA. :) Just so the above can get their panties all in a bunch, the Monsoon is an outdated motor that you should be embarrassed to get in an 80k+ boat.

As for other options, P&P ballast, heater, dock lights, turn-down tips, water cooled shaft, Aqua Fusion matt and power wedge are all must-have options IMO. At least in the aspect of do it now as it will be the same or cheaper that doing it after the fact.

MXZ, :drool: Loaded can we say supercharger :yes: just because I like spending your money :help: except the stereo I can spend more if you let me add later. :rockon:

I think Malibu could do a much better job showing the options. My dealer has an awesome application that is made by a 3rd party that helps the process quite a bit. I have attached the options I chose for my 2013 23 LSV.

post-18138-0-85824500-1363141199_thumb.p

Don't be a wussy - get the LSA. :) Just so the above can get their panties all in a bunch, the Monsoon is an outdated motor that you should be embarrassed to get in an 80k+ boat.

As for other options, P&P ballast, heater, dock lights, turn-down tips, water cooled shaft, Aqua Fusion matt and power wedge are all must-have options IMO. At least in the aspect of do it now as it will be the same or cheaper that doing it after the fact.

I'm thinking LS3 for either boat is the best bang for the buck. My 08 Monsoon worked very hard pulling a slammed VLX with 1235 prop running 22-23 for wakeboarding. Would it be worth the upgrade to the LS3? I'm leaning towards yes, especially considering the fact that surfgate requires more total weight in the boat.

Here are the no-brainers for me so far (some of which were on my 08 VLX):

surfgate

4 tank ballast

P&P ballast (I did this on my last boat myself for what I'm betting will be much cheaper...opinions?)

drivers seat heater (Also did this one myself last boat)

heater

dock lights

turn down tips (Another I did myself)

power wedge

mobile device gateway

pop up docking lights

pop up cleats

transom flush kit

sea strainer

The press is still out on these. Please chime in with opinions on what I should add and why:

panaramic mirror?

which bimini?

Aqua fusion mat?

Precsion speed control pro or GPS cruise?

which prop for heavily weighted applications...1235 still the standard?

Stereo:

Hmmm, this is heavily debatable. First hand experiences and cost comparison?

Trailer:

I'm lost here, tons of new options available...obviously tandem axle with transom staps and a spare.

For those that have ordered in the last couple years:

Bow stop boat buddy?

lighting runway?

Park brake?

electric hydraulic brakes?

Thanks in advance for all the help

I would get the panoramic mirror for sure. Huge improvement over the CIPA. Make sure to get it tower mounted. There are lots of bimini options, some people say CS slider, others say GL. The fusion mat is pretty cool, I would get that if you normally have wet carpet. I would also get GPS cruise, nice feature to have, more accurate. 1235 seems like the standard though there are many different options depending on ballast, people, altitude, etc. Stereo- we had 2 alpha 1s and they were pretty bad for wakeboard sound. XM9s are so much better and didn't cost much more. Trailer- I would get all the things you listed, but runway lights are just for show basically. Why not? Small option but cool. :lol:

I ordered anodized board racks and tower knobs so I won't have to polish aluminum. I like the GL Bimini. The SS glove box looks sharp. Under hull mount for the spare tire and just buy the base tire for the spare.

Here is my list of upgrades/options I selected on my 13 VLX...

Quad ballast

Maliview/mtc/Malibu cruise (no gps)

Transom walkover cover

Snap out carpet

3 vent heater

Monsoon 350/ACME 1235 prop

Dripless shaft seal

LED docking lights

Surfgate

Tower knobs

G3 Tower mirror

Soundpak 1 w/2 extra speakers (8) total

STE turndown exhaust tips

Pull up cleats

Black hull

Extra board racks (4 total)

items I passed on this time that I ordered on my 2011 VLX....

Seat heater

Hotwater shower

Transom LED lights

I passed on the 13 VLX these options...

Aqua fusion mat (going with Deckadence when it becomes available this year)

Malibu PnP (did not meet my expectations for the price)

items I will be adding myself aftermarket...

Wetsounds/ARC audio stereo/Pro mariner battery maintainer

3 more hot tubes/circulating pump on heater

Possibly Transom LED lights

Johnson Impeller driven surf ballast system (2 pumps, w/SUMO 600 bags)

Raising my drivers seat 2"

Edited by Fman

Here is my list of upgrades/options I selected on my 13 VLX...

Quad ballast

Maliview/mtc/Malibu cruise (no gps)

Transom walkover cover

Snap out carpet

3 vent heater

Monsoon 350/ACME 1235 prop

Dripless shaft seal

LED docking lights

Surfgate

Tower knobs

G3 Tower mirror

Soundpak 1 w/2 extra speakers (8) total

STE turndown exhaust tips

Pull up cleats

Black hull

Extra board racks (4 total)

items I passed on this time that I ordered on my 2011 VLX....

Seat heater

Hotwater shower

Transom LED lights

I passed on the 13 VLX these options...

Aqua fusion mat (going with Deckadence when it becomes available this year)

Malibu PnP (did not meet my expectations for the price)

items I will be adding myself aftermarket...

Wetsounds/ARC audio stereo/Pro mariner battery maintainer

3 more hot tubes/circulating pump on heater

Possibly Transom LED lights

Johnson Impeller driven surf ballast system (2 pumps, w/SUMO 600 bags)

Raising my drivers seat 2"

Fman - school me on these:

Dripless shaft seal

Deckadence

PnP - You going to just buy the parts and do it yourself?

ARC audio stereo

circulating pump on heater

Johnson Impeller - 2 directional? Separate switches?

Dripless shaft seal never has to be tightened, IE: packing nuts on prop shaft. This type of seal is water cooled and requires no maintenece. Very good option

Deckadance is the new flooring option. Is a woven rubberish type mat.

The PNP system is easy to just retro over to the same type of system with fittings and hose from Wakemakers or Flyhigh. If he will be using impeller type pumps, there is really no reason to go with the PNP system anyways.

Arc audio stereo is just another aftermarket brand of equipment. Will sound better and mst likely cost less than the factory options.

Circulating pump for the heater is installed to push more hot water through the heater tubes all low rpm. Will give better heater performance at idle.

The johnson pumps are positive displacment pumps that are reversable, yes with seperate switches. They will actually drain and fill through the same hole in the hull if wanted. They will suck a bag dry when draining and will mean no more pumps over the side of the boat to fill exra ballast. The only way to roll if you ask me. 1 pump does the job of two and does it better.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Dripless shaft seal never has to be tightened, IE: packing nuts on prop shaft. This type of seal is water cooled and requires no maintenece. Very good option

The PNP system is easy to just retro over to the same type of system with fittings and hose from Wakemakers or Flyhigh. If he will be using impeller type pumps, there is really no reason to go with the PNP system anyways.

Arc audio stereo is just another aftermarket brand of equipment. Will sound better and mst likely cost less than the factory options.

Circulating pump for the heater is installed to push more hot water through the heater tubes all low rpm. Will give better heater performance at idle.

The johnson pumps are positive displacment pumps that are reversable, yes with seperate switches. They will actually drain and fill through the same hole in the hull if wanted. They will suck a bag dry when draining and will mean no more pumps over the side of the boat to fill exra ballast. The only way to roll if you ask me. 1 pump does the job of two and does it better.

That pretty much sums it up.... The PnP was $400 from malibu plus the fittings they dont give you. IMO, piggybacking your system with aerator pumps dont play well together. If Malibu was using impeller pumps it would be a much more efficient system. As Bobby mentioned, the Johnson impeller pumps self prime and will literally suck all the water out of the bags when draining. Its also nice to fill the bags seperate from the malibu hard tanks. I will be installing the ballast system myself, I did this on my 2011, it takes about 6 hours but its nothing that a weekend warrior mechanic cant tackle. Total cost for my ballast, with wiring, switches, 600 lb sumo sacs is about $1000. It would have cost me about $750-800 for the Malibu PnP with the bags.

Deckadence mat is not avail for a direct purchase right now, it appears by July it will be for Malibu boats (CAD cut and logo). I liked the feel much better than the Aqua Fusion, the AF feels very stiff and uncomfortable to me.

Here is the pump I am using for my heater circulation.... will be mounting under the helm area near the heater core. It only draws 1.2 amps with no surge at startup, can be wired into your blower heater.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Hot-Water-Pump-Run-on-12V-Battery-or-Solar-Panel-Good-to-230-F-145psi-/190635868928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c62c88300

My stereo will be a mix of Wetsounds (REV 10 tower speakers, 420 EQ, 12" sub and Arc Audio amps). It will cost me about the same price as the Soundpak 3 but imo its a much better system than Malibu offers. It will be professionally installed by ACME who did my last system, they are great to work with.

Edited by Fman

couple other thoughts in addition to what the folks have added.

I'd take the PCM mirror all day over the G3 tower mirror.

I'd skip the factory scratching cloth.. aka "trailerable cover" and order an Evolution, Bakes or Skippers.

Better quality and much brighter underwater LEDs can be had for much less money. You boat comes pre wired from MTC to the transom, harness is back there waiting. Drill 3 holes each and you have 2-3x the light lumens for $400 total. Drill, silicone, connect wires, done. Look at Hurley underwater puck lights at $175ea.

Go with the lowest stereo pack and then upgrade from there as you see fit.

I still think showers are silly. Until they come with a separate tank for clean water, jump in the lake. Same with heaters, at least out here in so cal, or board where it's real cold. Maybe I'll change my mind on heater if I move somewhere other than here, or stop going in warm weather.

If you boat camp often I think the shower is worth it. We dont camp often, its also good to fill your wetsuit up with warm water. We had it in our two last boats and never turned it on, thats why I passed on it this time.

I have a 2012 VLX with the Monsoon 350 and 1235 prop. I can run about 3000lbs of total ballast (depending on people) with the wedge down before having trouble planing out. If you plan on running that amount (or more) frequently, get the LS3 instead. The L96 offers no significant torque increase in the RPM range that will help you plane out when compared to the Monsoon 350. The LSA engine is an awesome engine but is overkill for most IMO. One local MXZ with the LSA has problems with surging when using the speed control during wakeboarding and hasn't been able to get it resolved.

Edited by Brett B

Isn't the dripless shaft seal (brochure calls it the water cooled shaft seal) standard equipment now (i.e., not an upgrade option)???