Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boaters Insurance Recommendations?

Fman

I am getting quotes for insurance on my 2013 VLX. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good insurance company? I used Progressive the last couple years but have heard they are not great for claims. Knock on wood, I have never had to make a claim... It would be nice to hear from someone who has made a claim and had good results with no issues on getting there boat repaired or replaced.

Thanks for any info...

Boaters Insurance will extend your Indmar engine warranty to 5 years

http://www.boatins.com/indmar.php

Boaters Insurance Agency and Indmar have partnered together to offer this exclusive Factory 5 engine warranty and boat insurance protection plan. Take advantage of this opportunity by submitting this online Binder/Quote Request Form to provide your customer with this opportunity to experience a seamless extension between Indmar product warranty and retail boat insurance coverage.

I also use Boaters Insurance Agency, and they wrote the policy through ACE USA. Really cheap premium and i have coverage that covers the price of the boat. Not what NADA says its worth, but what i paid for it. Also has hurricane which i need in my area.

Edited by JIMJOM
  • Like 1

Boaters Insurace, simply because of the extended warranty.

I had Boat US and just switched to Ski Safe as they had the lowest rates I could find (and still known for good coverage).

I have used BoatUS for years. I will continue to use them. My annual premium for my new lsv should be under $400. What other prices are you guys getting? The premium on my 12 Axis A22 (loaded + ls3) was close to $300 for full agreed value coverage.

I got a quote from Boaters Insurance of $859 per year with the 5 year extended powertrain warranty. It only covers the engine, and assuming the vdrive and transmission. If I don't get the extended warranty it drops to $649 per year. Thats also a 500k liability/uninsured boaters insurance, 5k gear coverage, 750 deductible, 500 towing, 5k personal effects, full guaranteed replacement of boat.

Basically it will cost me $1k extra in insurance for a two year extended powertrain warranty (if i even keep the boat for 5 years). I have a 1 million dollar umbrella policy and need 500k liability boat coverage on insurance. Not sure if its worth $1k for warranty. I am going to try ski safe today. I was paying $550 year on the 2011 vlx.

I think I pay around $700 through Boaters for the LSV. The VLX was around $650. I like Boaters for several reason, but one thing they did that really surprised me - when I told them the purchase price of the new boat they said that they couldn't replace the boat for that price because it was too low. They upped the price by around 10k so that it would cover the purchase price of a new boat. I felt that they were looking out for me at that point. Haven't had to file any claims (thank goodness).

I use Progressive. My rate is around $650 for 2012 vlx. **I did have a 2011 supra stolen. When I purchased the insurance from progressive they were adamant about adding FULL replacement value to my coverage. I was surprised at the time on how high the value was set...but felt good that the agent was looking out for me at the time...so I agreed. Who would have ever thought this would actually be needed!! They paid me the full coverage price listed on my insurance for the 2011 boat. I was amazed how well they treated me and the situation. I would gladly recommend progressive to anyone.

I have used BoatUS for years. I will continue to use them. My annual premium for my new lsv should be under $400. What other prices are you guys getting? The premium on my 12 Axis A22 (loaded + ls3) was close to $300 for full agreed value coverage.

+1

BoatUS as well. About three bills for agreed value.

Be sure your insurance covers the environmental clean up liability. You are responsible for the first $800k should an environmental impact occur (like leaking fuel/oil should your boat sink).

The more you read up on the +5 warranty the more you learn it's more of a sales gimmick.

First, it's not really a "warranty".... The word warranty tends to make folks think "it's covered". It's not... You pay a deductible ....and the "claim" is subject to review and approval. It's an insurance warranty thru a Malibu dealer, not a Malibu warranty. So in your case Fman, you still pay the first 800$ (roughly 10% of boat price) of that repair. More of a gimmick to sell boats and isurance as being "covered" for 5yrs. And yes you pay more for it comparatively. Think also that you are paying more for that coverage for the first 3yrs... And not even using it until a short window in yrs 4-5.

Has anyone ever used or heard of anyone using the warranty between yrs 4 and 5?

Edited by nyryan2001

Now... If they updated the extended warranty to reflect the introduction of all the electronics into the boats folks are having trouble with.... MTC, Malivue, viper, wedge, OEM emectronics... That I think would have real value.

Is there any negotiation with these companies? I did the Safe Ski online quote and got $380 basic and $597 custom with $300,000 bodily and property limits.

Total insurance cost has a lot of variables. Most don't get a 500k liability, but I want a 1.5 mill coverage (combined with my umbrella policy). We take out a lot of kids and everyone is your friend until someone gets hurt. I dont want someone taking my house and everything else if they were injured. Your deductible also plays a factor in the total price.

I will more than likely go with Progressive again, they have a declining deductible. It drops $250 every year you don't make a claim. I was quoted $640 for the 13 vlx which I think is a fair price.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I use Norman Spencer Marine Insurance Services out of California for my new LSV and the annual premium is $480. When comparing the coverage I was going to get from All State who I use for my cars and hose the coverage was much better with Norman Spencer and the premium considerably lower.

I'm sure many of the Boat US members haven't had to renew their policy yet this year. They jacked my rates up for no reason which is why I switched to Ski Safe, which was still cheaper that what I was paying Boat US previously. Boaters didn't want to work with me on the agreed upon value so they were a no-go on that alone...and their rate would have been higher than Ski Safe too.

I just ran some numbers online and hot two quotes for a 2013 22 MXZ.

The one from Boat US was $1034. For a similar policy, SkiSafe was $550. Half as much. It's a no brainer

One question though...if you choose to have a "lay up" period, are you not covered during those months? I don't ride in the winter, but if I felt like getting crazy in the cold of December, am I covered? How does that work?

Called Skisafe yesterday and got a quote. It was $130 cheaper than the one i have now. However, they did not offer hurricane coverage which is something i do need. I then called my current insurance company and used ski safe's quote to lower my premium.