Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cost to Repaint Trailer

I want to get my trailer professionally repainted due to fading and rust. What is a reasonable price to pay for sandblast, fill rust pitting, prime, top coat factory green? I use the trailer frequently and don't want it to look like amateur hour at the boat launch (likely result if I tried painting it myself).

Thanks.

I repainted my last Magnum trailer myself using a small roller and a can of Rustoleum black paint ($10). I hit with 2 coats in the same day and applied new Magnum/Mailbu stickers (which cost me $6 each). The trailer looked brand new! Total project was under $30 dollars and took me less than 4 hours by myself.

I did the same thing as New2Texas, however I sandblasted the areas with chipped paint, corners that almost started rusting and lower points that took kick ups from rocks and such. Looks just as nice. (IMHO) whereas you won't be outside of the $$ hundreds if you were to go professionally.

I am contemplating my options here too... I have a buddy who owns a body shop that would do it for pretty much just materials but that is still going to be a few hundred $. How well does the roller job come out? Understanding that like any paint job the prep is where your results are...

I did mine with rattle cans, but I'm kind of a rattle can pro.

With that and above comments said, if you simply don't want to paint, you can do the prep work yourself:

- Remove bunks, winch, spare, etc.

- Get a wire brush fitting that fits in a cordless drill and wire brush any rust spots

- Using a heat gun or even a hair dryer, remove any decals and pinstriping

- Prime your now bare metal rust spots with a can of primer

- wetsand using 1000 grit any surface that will be painted

- wipe down trailer with xylene or acetone

Your trailer is now ready for paint. All your body shop guy has to do is spray it. I'm guessing $200 for a few good coats. After that, go to Bakesonline and buy some Malibu decals for the trailer, and go to Autozone (or similar) for some pinstriping if you want any. Reassemble the components you removed.

Id like to see some pics of the diy painted trailers.

My trailer is black. I was going to repaint but I decided to try polishing up first. Came out good enough to skip the respray.

MB, that looks pretty dang good! Did you clear it? Did you wetsand between coats?

Nope, that is the procedure just as described above. After I put the first coat on I waited about 15 minutes 'till it was no longer tacky, then applied another coat. Waited another 15 minutes, and applied the third coat. The trick is making it look wet and not underapplying. But, not overapplying to start a run. This was done in August of 2010 and some rust has started coming back thru right under the bunks on the bunk brackets, so I'm going to do the same procedure again this year. About 4 cans of paint. Remember to apply some wax or 303 after about a month of letting it cure.

While I was at it I recarpeted the bunks, which actually lifted right off with about 10lbs of force, the lags rusted out from underneath. The bunks had 2 layers of carpet on them and I know the guy I bought it from didn't do it, so I assume it was all original from 1994. To re-use them I flipped them over and spun them 180 degrees. New wood! Used some galvanized lags that I already had.

• 5 months later...

I ended up repainting my trailer with Herculiner...a DIY truck bedliner product. Lightly sand existing paint and then roll it on. Took two coats. I will never paint my trailer again, and will never worry about rust. $99 for a gallon of black.

Edited by exlonghorn

I don't have the need yet for this boat, but my previous boat was on a 1985 Tennessee Trailer. I spent a few hours wire brushing and sanding to get the bad spots out, then used 3 or 4 coats of Black Rustoleum on everything. Then I added new bunks back on and it looked like new.

At that time the trailer was about 10 years old, so i re-wired and replaced all of the lights at the same time.

I own a paint and body shop. If someone wanted me to strip, sand, prime and paint their trailer i would probably tell them $3,000.

Fwiw, i would suggest a coarser scratch than 1000. Go atleast 600 to give your paint more to grab hold of. If you will be priming it first go with 220-320. Or use the red 3m scuff pads. Buy some wax and grease remover, your hands and sinuses will thank you.

Hi all, on the painting subject & trailers in general.

I recently picked up a 2011 RLXI on a boat mate trailer down under here in Australia.

I was surprised with the overall appearence, finish of the trailer & how it complimented the boat.

Except, in AU, it is rare to have a boat trailer not galvanised only on some cheap or home made trailers.

Is this normal for such a classy trailer to skimp on corrosion protection?