Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar 5.7 too many hours?

Brian Ferrell

Hi All,

Been a member for a while but never posted until now. In the market for a 23lsv. I found an 06 with the Indmar 5.7 at 500 hours. My previous boat was a dd tige with the Merc 5.7 and just under 500 hrs. Is this the same block? I was very happy with the Merc reliability and it always ran great.

With the LSV being heavier should I be concerned above 500 hours? I want to be able to resell this boat in a couple years and trade up. My concern would be reliability while I have it and the ability to sell at around 700 hours. Thanks for any insight...

I have not contacted anyone yet. Just started to narrow down on the lsv. Oddly enough my three choices have been vlx, lsv or an MB 21 tomcat. I think the 23lsv is going to check all the boxes for our needs better than anything else.

The longblock is the same on all of these motors; just the stuff strapped onto them is different.

For me, the hours are less meaningful for the motor and more so for the boat itself. 500 hours is nothing for one of these motors.

• Like 2

A ten hour engine that gets hot will fail sooner than a well-maintained boat with 5,000 hours. Rumor is that Dean Lavelle's boat has 10,000 on it. Not sure if true but I've seen several thousand hours on boats.

I had the same dilemma last year buying a newer boat. Picked one up with 450 hours on it and could not be happier. My previous boat (Malibu Skier) had the Mercruiser which I was happy with also. I would not worry about the hours if the boat has been treated well and the maintenance performed. I have been in Dalt1's boat and is the main reason I got mine.

Edited by Parrothead

500 hours is a moderate amount of hours on a ski boat engine. If it has had regular maintenance and good care then that's not a lot of hours. Ask for the maintenance records.

Hours do factor into resale value however. Boats with 500-1,000+ hours on them tend to sell at a bit of a discount. So, you should get this boat at a decent price and probably expect to take a small hit on it if you sell it down the road with a lot more hours on it.

I've said it before in here. I work at Gm Powertrain and have talked to the guys who do marine engine validation, when I was buying my boat with 500 hours. They said 500 is nothing and most should easily make 5000 with proper maintaince.