Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Block Drain Plugs on 2011 LCR 320

How far should the drain plugs (brass) thread back into the block after they have been removed? I can't remember how far in they were at the end of last season when I took them out. Don't think they threaded to flush at all..but I can't remember. :dontknow:

The LCR does not have knock sensors. Had to blow the hole out pretty good with WD and brush the rust out with a gun cleaning brush (in Texas we use gun cleaning tools for most repair jobs...lol). I didn't want to get to aggresive with the block threads since I'm not sure what they can take. Next year the plugs are going in as soon as the block is drained. Won't make that mistake again. Leak test seems to be good so far.

Happy Almost-Spring!!

I don't get too carried away with threading those drain plugs in. I wrap mine with teflon tape and tighten them until they're snug. Still, they're in far enough, I think, to cover all the threads on the block [so they won't rust]. They don't need to be tightened all the way to flush.

I go hand tight and then some. If they leak, I go some more. Pressure down there never gets higher than 7 PSI. I used a gauge one year instead of a plug, that's how I know that.

Edited by electricjohn

We used drain cocks similar to those but stopped using them because they plugged up pretty easy if there was any sand or debris from the lake/river in the block. We recommend poking a piece of stiff wire into the drain hole in the block block to make sure all the water drains out so to do that you have to remove the drain c***, so you might as well use a plug.

There are torque specs in the indmar manual. 14ft pounds I think...at least for a 2011 monsoon. Would imagine all others would be similar.

I think most people instinct is to overtighten those plugs. Def not flush. And just snug. Mine has knock sensor and I just hand tightened with no tool.

We used drain cocks similar to those but stopped using them because they plugged up pretty easy if there was any sand or debris from the lake/river in the block. We recommend poking a piece of stiff wire into the drain hole in the block block to make sure all the water drains out so to do that you have to remove the drain c***, so you might as well use a plug.

You can use the same stiff wire (coat hanger) to clear the drain c*** as well. If you are getting that much sand in your cooling system install a strainer at the suction end of the raw water pump.

Edited by nuttyskier2002