Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Short season in Nor-Cal?

Fman

Anyone have a rainfall and snowpack report for Nor-Cal? Outlook of what the reservoir levels are going to be? Trying to be optomistic but the weather is not looking like we are getting much more rain or snow.... Jan/Feb have been bone dry. Maybe we will get lucky and get some good spring storms coming through, looking like it could be a short season for us.... last time this happened a local lake by us went to 5mph in July because of low water levels....

Snowpack was 59% on feb 28th. The reservoirs are doing ok right now as a result of the rain at the end of November (bullards went up 40' in a week at that time) but I hear ya about the lack of water in the snowpack. It's a bummer because things looked so promising in December.

Plan B for us is the Sacramento River, I am 20 mins from the launch ramp... its always full, and the water is usually money during the weekdays... downside is dealing with the currents. If Folsom goes 5 in Aug, it will just make all the other lakes more impacted than they already are.... hope we get some good spring storms coming through.

And there is always the Ca Delta, I just hate the brackish water and 9 feet of depth throughout all the channels.

Edited by Fman

Its going to be a short snow ski season, but at least with 70 degree days we can start boating. I hope to get out tomorrow during my lunch break :D.

On a side note any boaters in California (Northern and Southern) should do a little more research on this $60 billion underground canal that our Governor is planning on building without a vote from the public. From what I've learned, the water is not going to Los Angeles, instead the water is going to the toxic farm lands in West Fresno (my wife works in the agriculture world, their company owns property in the W Fresno district, and she is 110% against them getting water because of the toxicity in the soil). The tunnels will be able to pull 1/2 to 2/3 of the water from the Sacramento River, and pump it straight to the Tracy pump out station. This means to try to keep the salt water line back in the delta, they are going have to drain the reservoirs that feed the Sacramento River even quicker. If they don't keep the salt water back a majority of the delta farmers will not have fresh water for their crops, or worse yet, the salinity in the water could destroy the ever so rich delta soil.

Sorry for the rant, but if you are interested there is a website and petition that might be worth you looking at.

http://nodeltagates.com/

Edited by Joeprunc

Its going to be a short snow ski season, but at least with 70 degree days we can start boating. I hope to get out tomorrow during my lunch break :D.

On a side note any boaters in California (Northern and Southern) should do a little more research on this $60 billion underground canal that our Governor is planning on building without a vote from the public. From what I've learned, the water is not going to Los Angeles, instead the water is going to the toxic farm lands in West Fresno (my wife works in the agriculture world, their company owns property in the W Fresno district, and she is 110% against them getting water because of the toxicity in the soil). The tunnels will be able to pull 1/2 to 2/3 of the water from the Sacramento River, and pump it straight to the Tracy pump out station. This means to try to keep the salt water line back in the delta, they are going have to drain the reservoirs that feed the Sacramento River even quicker. If they don't keep the salt water back a majority of the delta farmers will not have fresh water for their crops, or worse yet, the salinity in the water could destroy the ever so rich delta soil.

Sorry for the rant, but if you are interested there is a website and petition that might be worth you looking at.

http://nodeltagates.com/

No I think you should do a lot more research !!!

The Delta Mendota canal was built to transfer water from the Delta via the Tracy Pumping Station, to the Mendota Pool in western Fresno County to supply water to West Side farms. The canal was built because the existing water supply was all but cut off when the Friant Kern canal was built. The Friant Kern Canal receives it's water from the San Joaquin River which used to supply the West Side with water.

Because of the Delta Smelt being sucked into the Tracy pump station, the water supply was turned off turning thousands of acres of productive farmland into a desert.

The purpose of the the Delta bypass would be to pull water directly from the Sac. river up stream of the Delta bypassing the poor little smelt and the Delta completely.

Yup some water would go to So Cal, and hell yes a lot would go towards restoring the water supply the West Side used to get from the Delta putting farms back into production and people in this area back to work.

I'm not even going to address the ill informed comment about the West Side farmland being toxic.

Maybe there is still hope... I just checked and last year at this time we were only at 6.5" of rainfall, we are currently at 13.5", a normal year is around 19". So if we can have a similar March and April as last year might not be as bad we think... I know I was snow skiing last year in mid May because we had some late storms roll through.... gotta get the rain dance going!

You weren't skiing last year, that was two years ago. Last year EVERYBODY closed early. Squaw and alpine closed april 29th 2012.

I remember because last year Mid May it was 90* over here.

Shawn... Correction, it was the end of April! you are correct... my 41 year old CRS kicking in again....regardless, I hope we are not on the Sacramento River this year.... glad we have a plan B, but hoping we can ski all season on the the lakes around us!