Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What the tire?

First voyage of the year and I was blessed with a flat tire. I pumped it up lauched the boat and had a great day. today I pulled the tireto check it out and found this gem. The inside of it is worn down to the steel belt, even the outside has half the tred as all the other tires. All the other tires are in crazy shape (newish) shape besides this one. I am interested in what you guys think might of caused this and what i should be concerned about. Doesnt appear she rubbed on anything either.

Also to note, the opposite side's hub blew apart. I had to trailer home 300 miles on three wheels although the boat wasnt on the trailer. Dont know if that had anything to do with it. Hate to put on another $300 tire and have the same thing happen.

post-17891-0-74058300-1362957114_thumb.j

Thanks Guys

Jon

Your right to be concerned.

I can think of a few possibilites.to check out.

trailor brakes were locking up this wheel because there was not enough weight on it during the 300 mile drive.

a single locking break.

suspension and or allignment problem.

tire rubbing on a fender

Your right to be concerned.

I can think of a few possibilites.to check out.

trailor brakes were locking up this wheel because there was not enough weight on it during the 300 mile drive.

a single locking break.

suspension and or allignment problem.

tire rubbing on a fender

The wear is even around the whole tire. Makes me doubt its a break issue. maybe an alignment or suspension. Maybe not towing level?

martinarcher

I had a bum wheel bearing that ate my right rear trailer tire. I changed both before it got that bad, but a bad bearing will wear tires very poorly. Jack it up a try to wiggle the tire. If you have play, change your bearing. If the bearing is not very old you might be able to tighten it up.

martinarcher

Sounds to me like one bent axle or spindle. Is this a front tire? Did you catch a curb during a turn?

Good point...a bent axle could also do that. I wasn't thinking that extreme. Got a laser level? Shoot it down the axle and measure how far the laser is from the axle at various points.

Its the left rear. The bearings were going bad and replaced them last year when I had the other hub blow out. Maybe this is just the total sum of the damage. I'll have to do some more investigation once i get a new tire.

The wear is even around the whole tire. Makes me doubt its a break issue. maybe an alignment or suspension. Maybe not towing level?

It lost the outer part of the tire. It does not look like wear from the picture. If you just put air in and hit the road it may have been running low pressure after going down the road a ways. If so it could have heated up and come apart. Are the Toyo tires made for trailering? I would still look at alignment.

Edited by Sixball

It is difficult to tell from the photo, but did a strip of tread come off? Or is that just wear? If the former, then another possibility is just that the tire failed in part due to stresses of turning sharp (if you do that much, I have to every time I back into the garage). With tandems, there is a lot of lateral stress put on the sidewalls of the tires, with a low profile tire that will result in more stress on the actual running surface, between the road contact and belts, for example, than on a higher profile tire where some of that stress is relieved in the sidewall. Just a thought. LIke many tire issues, it is probably a combination of things that led to failure.