Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

long time follower!

Slyexe

Hey guys and girls,

I've been coming to this site for a few years but never actually signed up with the forums. I've finally decided to take the plung as I am finally willing to modify my rig! It wasn't that I didn't want to, just more a cost problem than anything.

So for an Introduction, I'm Tim; I come from Northern Saskatchewan where the lakes are plenty and riding is only a few short months. I purchased a 1998 Malibu Response LX as my first 'Bu in 2011! I'll tell you, it was a pretty exciting moment. The boat was up for auction at a local auctioneer, I wasn't expecting much seeing it was a 'Bu but to my luck there wasn't much interest in it. I thought I got it for a steal of a deal and by looking at others prices online I think it was a very good investment. It's not in the prettiest of shape, but nothing a little love and time can't cure.

As of right now, unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share with you guys. But I do plan on some serious additions this summer which I will document and probably post on here for you guys to enjoy!

So far I have done a few minor changes, I have ripped out the previous owners stereo. I use to work with an audio/video company where I did the rough-ins in new home's for theatre systems so I had some good sources for a new system. I tore the old stuff out (which I still have if anyone is interest!) It was a mix of factory speakers/amp + some upgraded Alpine Speakers. I replaced 4 speakers with some new JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-TB's and added another 2 of the MX770-CCX-CG-TB's near the side storage netting for that extra OOMPH. I Included a brand new XD700/5 which will power the 4 rear speakers and the Sub, and will use the Deck to power the other 2 front speakers. I think it will be a pretty nice setup once it is complete. I never had the time to finish it during fall last year, so I will be looking forward to it this spring.

As for some other projects I am looking to do is to add a Ballast System, as I want to try and get the wake to be a little bigger and hopefully try out some wake surfing this summer. I'm still in the process of deciding whether or not I am wanting a fully intergrated system where I just need to attach the sacks and flick a switch, or if I want to go the more convinient route of having a completely transferable system. As far as how well everything would improve the wake is another question, that's why I'm leaning towards a cheaper but not so permanent solution.

Also, I am going to install a Heater Kit. I have some schematics I made up that I think will work pretty well but seeing the boat is closed up for the winter I can't say they will work according to my plans! I am thinking of going with a Heater Craft Kit which I think many of you guys have seemed to enjoy.

Finally, I have some minor fiberglass bumps and cracks as the previous owner wasn't to careful with the additional tower that was included on the boat. The tower had obviously been positioned to be stored away and someone must of not been paying attention and bam, tower falls over and chipped away a pretty large gap on top wall of the boat. Hopefully, I can find a the supplies to attempt this myself.

I think all in all, this will be a great learning experience and will teach me alot about the fabrication of boats and how much attention is used when the manufacturer is building these things. One thing I know I'll be keeping in mind is precision precision precision! I want everything to look factory as possible and hopefully I can make it look that way!

Edited by Slyexe